I know this is just asking for extreme elitism, but I'm here to seriously bring up discussion of experimental metal bands and also some recommends.
It could be productive as long as no one gets into elitist mode and starts declaring that isn't avant-garde and that this is. It's all up to preception.
Avant-garde really isn't a genre, just like the progressive term. A lot of avant-metal bands are considered progressive at the same time. I believe it is more of an adjective.
John Cage has a definition that like (which I can't seem to find the quote for) which goes along lines that experimental music cannot be predicted or controlled.

If someone can find that quote, I would be very grateful.

Now, these guys don't get enough love and they are also one of my favorite bands, so I'm very opinionated about them. I'm talking about Kekal. You should check them out.
http://www.myspace.com/kekal
No avant-garde metal band can ever touch Mr. Bungle
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Kepulix
No avant-garde metal band can ever touch Mr. Bungle

problem is, they were hardly metal when they became more avant-garde.

their early ep's were just early death metal or thrash. then they got funky... then they just went avant-garde with a few moments being kinda metal.

fantomas are a better example of a great avant-garde metal band, apart from that... the genre is a bit wack.
I found Arcturus' La Infernal Masquerade and The Sham Mirrors good, if you count that as avant garde
Quote by ulique

their early ep's were just early death metal or thrash. then they got funky... then they just went avant-garde with a few moments being kinda metal.

fantomas are a better example of a great avant-garde metal band, apart from that... the genre is a bit wack.

I didn't claim they were metal (apart from the very early stuff), was just stating that they are better avant-garde band than any avant-garde metal band there is

Fantômas are good too
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by dierk467
I found Arcturus' La Infernal Masquerade and The Sham Mirrors good, if you count that as avant garde

this
Quote by ulique

Mr. Bungle practically switched genres every song, the only release that I wouldn't call metal is California. Even the first demo switched to funky parts.
Fuckin' Sculptured.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
^ No, No, and maybe

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Fuckin' Sculptured.

damn straight.

Ulver's later career definitely has some avant garde flair

and who can forget the phenomenal album Suspended Animation Dreams by Subterranean Masquerade?
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by huevos
I know this is just asking for extreme elitism, but I'm here to seriously bring up discussion of experimental metal bands and also some recommends.
It could be productive as long as no one gets into elitist mode and starts declaring that isn't avant-garde and that this is. It's all up to preception.
Avant-garde really isn't a genre, just like the progressive term. A lot of avant-metal bands are considered progressive at the same time. I believe it is more of an adjective.
John Cage has a definition that like (which I can't seem to find the quote for) which goes along lines that experimental music cannot be predicted or controlled.

If someone can find that quote, I would be very grateful.

Now, these guys don't get enough love and they are also one of my favorite bands, so I'm very opinionated about them. I'm talking about Kekal. You should check them out.
http://www.myspace.com/kekal
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623790&highlight=avant

Use the search bar next time.

Delete this thread.