Hey, total noob here, as the title might suggest. I'm such a noob that as yet I don't even have a bass. I do other sorts of music though (classical! Ah!), and am looking to get a bass. I've never properly played any sort of guitar before, and can't read tab. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to books I could read, videos to be watched and the like that might help me get a bit of a clue, without the instrument itself. If that doesn't sound too braindead. I do sort of have a guitar that I can use, if that would be of any use.

Thanks for any advice!
If you look around UG there are numerous articles and lessons that would be beneficial to a beginner such as yourself. Best of luck!
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
haha... that was awesome... 'jesusaurus'

TheBurningFish wrote:

Commanding Guitar Hero players to go get a real guitar is like telling GTA players to get off their asses and shoot people.

Well to be honest you're never gonna learn the bass as well as you will if you actually own a bass. But you can use the guitar to learn tab, it's extremely simple, and there's a lesson on UG, so go search it. It can help you there.

As far as bass goes, there's about a million instructional videos and book about how to play, but again, they can only be so useful if you don't want to actually buy a bass.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
I'm looking to get a bass ASAP, just want to sort of get started on it before then. I'm going to try and find some reviews on here for the Ibanez GSR190 starter pack. Just want to sort of be ready for it if/when I do manage to get my hands on one.
Quote by Instrumetal
Well to be honest you're never gonna learn the bass as well as you will if you actually own a bass. But you can use the guitar to learn tab, it's extremely simple, and there's a lesson on UG, so go search it. It can help you there.

As far as bass goes, there's about a million instructional videos and book about how to play, but again, they can only be so useful if you don't want to actually buy a bass.

you have a wicked avatar

as for the bass deelio, you should really stop by a guitar store to check out a bass, to get a feel for them. search up reading tab lessons or go to basics on UG (if such thing exists)
Get off our forums, nah same with me just look at the lessons section
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
donts: tbird behringer epiphone/gibson
do: hal leonard fender ibanez ashdown

that is all
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Well hey, kudos to you for wanting to get a head start!

If you've already settled on/bought that starter pack, it's ok, but generally starter packs aren't the way to go. Then you have a bass and an amp that aren't quite high enough quality to be used in a gig justifiably. Although, of the starter packs, the Ibanez one ain't bad.

Of course there will be oodles of suggestions on what to get and what not to get. First of all, check the FAQ at the top of the Bass Forum (if you haven't already) - that will answer plenty of questions. As for my personal suggestion? I'd say get a low-end Ibanez Soundgear for the bass, it'll be a fantastic starting bass and will be gigworthy plenty long enough. On the amp, though, I'm not the guy to ask, too many variables and I don't have the expertise or the money know-how.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
My bro is on here and plays guitar, and was also saying that starter packs aren't the way to go, so I was looking to just get things separately and a bit better quality. Glad to hear Hal Leonard is a do, went into the tiny local music shop this morning and got 'Bass Method Book 1', and it looks like a trip to a bigger shop is in order. Thanks for the instrument advice, I'm a bit bewildered by it all. As for amps, was looking at the Behringer ULTRABASS BT108, although it seems to pretty much be the cheapest thing possible, does this equal no good?

Cheers!
behringers are a no no, im not going to go into detail

also what is your budget? get an ibanez gsr200 (i think its called) or a squire vm series bass

for amp if you want to be giggin soon get an ashdown MAG or just for prac anything will do, check out the FAQ
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Not much to be honest, about £200 for the moment. I was looking at the Ibanez GRS200 actually, anyone know much about what Phat II? Ibanez GSR200TR Phat EQ is the one I'm currently looking at, just want to try and find a shop that stocks them, as getting a feel for the actual instrument seems to be a good idea.
ok well good luck with that

one last thing DO NOT USE A GUITAR AMP FOR BASS YOU WILL RUIN IT!!

that is all
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Ibanez GSR200 > Peavey Microbass > sorted. Don't buy Ashdown because it will break and don't buy Fender because there are loads of basses that match their quality for far cheaper.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by LastToKnow
I'm looking to get a bass ASAP, just want to sort of get started on it before then. I'm going to try and find some reviews on here for the Ibanez GSR190 starter pack. Just want to sort of be ready for it if/when I do manage to get my hands on one.

I have had that Bass for a year and a halfnow and it's a sexy little thing.

Also, I recommend getting a teacher. Learning tabs and watching online vids work fine too but having a Bass Teacher really helped me learn some theory and techniques and whenever I had any questions, he answered them easily.
He also kept telling me stories of living in America when he was younger and used to talk to me about Pokemon.
--------
Acoustic AB50, ftw. a great amp. in fact...

(look at my sig)
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah, first of all, definitely DO NOT get a Behringer. They are made of baby seals that have been clubbed. And you cannot support that kind of violence. Also they suck.

And, I gotta admit, Humanity's starter pack has always looked pretty much perfect to me. But make sure you go to a store and try some things out, make sure you don't buy something you HATE just because we say "Yeah man get it!"

That is peer pressure. Peer pressure is wrong. So do it.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by NotSoAirJordan
Everything I know about bass I learned from UG forums and youtube. I suggest the same.

After messing around with bass for a while you may want to get a teacher to make sure you're doing things correctly. The UG forums are nice, but they can never replace an actual teacher.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by LastToKnow
Hey, total noob here, as the title might suggest. I'm such a noob that as yet I don't even have a bass. I do other sorts of music though (classical! Ah!), and am looking to get a bass. I've never properly played any sort of guitar before, and can't read tab. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to books I could read, videos to be watched and the like that might help me get a bit of a clue, without the instrument itself. If that doesn't sound too braindead. I do sort of have a guitar that I can use, if that would be of any use.

Thanks for any advice!

tabs arent hard to read. dont buy any books about how to read tabs. if you want to take the approach of learning theory and stuff like that from the beginning, then maybe get a book on that. you look up how to read tabs on that internet or probably here on UG. if you want a first song to learn or something like that, i would suggest a 3 chord punk song like Blitzkrieg bop from the ramones.
Thanks for all the advice! First song suggestion's also helpful. Look's like I'll be spending a lot of time on FAQ and lesson bits on here!