For those of you that don't want to read all this, the title pretty much sums it up.

Right, I've finally decided to upgrade from my Epiphone Les Paul standard (my faithful companion of two years) and get myself a higher class guitar. Initially I was inclined to the Gibson Les Paul Custom, "the Black Beauty", as it's known...

However, my local luthier, who is also a good friend of mine, has suggested that instead of buying a Gibson, I try out a Nik Huber guitar, as (at least according to him) they are much better. I'm torn, as, where I live, it's impossible to actually test these guitars, seeing as there are no organized guitar centers to speak of, plus, Huber guitars are ONLY custom and only about 150 are created each year.

My Question is: Does anyone have an opinion to share? Some experience? A suggestion for a different guitar?
For the record, I play with a rich, thick, full-o-sustain tone (Think Gary Moore from his blues period) , and that's what I'm lookin' for.
Quote by Zooropean11
For those of you that don't want to read all this, the title pretty much sums it up.

Right, I've finally decided to upgrade from my Epiphone Les Paul standard (my faithful companion of two years) and get myself a higher class guitar. Initially I was inclined to the Gibson Les Paul Custom, "the Black Beauty", as it's known...

However, my local luthier, who is also a good friend of mine, has suggested that instead of buying a Gibson, I try out a Nik Huber guitar, as (at least according to him) they are much better. I'm torn, as, where I live, it's impossible to actually test these guitars, seeing as there are no organized guitar centers to speak of, plus, Huber guitars are ONLY custom and only about 150 are created each year.

My Question is: Does anyone have an opinion to share? Some experience? A suggestion for a different guitar?
For the record, I play with a rich, thick, full-o-sustain tone (Think Gary Moore from his blues period) , and that's what I'm lookin' for.

buy a gibson ... because you will have a gibson! and huber, it sounds a little strange to me... little fishy?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Well, the only way to see if a Huber guitar is any good, is to try it. But remember, custom guitars are usually really expensive, so yeah, but saying that, you're looking at a Gibson Custom aswell, which are brilliant guitars anyways.

What you should maybe do is have a look for a Gary Moore Signature model, and see if you can buy one of them, that should give you that tone through the right amp.

I wouldn't buy a guitar without trying it, unless it's second hand and it looks pretty good and it looks as if it's going pretty cheap. Then I would, since there wouldn't be much time to get it.

But as I said before, maybe look for a Gary Moore Signature Les Paul, and then maybe go for the Gibson Custom or a Gibson VOS 1959 or something if your budget allows it. That would get a nice tone aswell. But yeah.

EDIT: And don't buy a Gibson because it's a Gibson! Try it, and see if it's good for you. If you're budget allows it, get a VOS 1959, and maybe get that neck pickup out of phase, and you'll have yourself a really Gary Moore-ish sounding guitar, providing you have a Marshall JCM800, which I think he uses these days. But you could do the same with a Custom, and it would still be good to go.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Oct 31, 2008,
nik's a german luthier, very very nice guitars he makes!
at least thats what i hear, i wasn't fortunate enough yet to find one to try

i have a test of the orca-korina lying in front of me and what they pretty much say is that it feels like a Les Paul, but handles and sounds much better

do not buy a gibson just for having a gibson - find a huber, as hard as is will be, or contact him through email and talk to him

this is the only greek (i assume youre from greece - profile) dealer on his site:

NS Guitars Stavros Ntukas
Elefrherias 136
455 50 Eleousa Ioannina

Phone:+30 (265) 1061005
E-Mail: ntukasst@otenet.gr
www.guitars.gr

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Hubers are among the best there are. If you are one of the incredibly lucky guys who have access to a Huber, you should go for it. Only downside is that you'd probably have to wait 1.5 years if you custom order one. There are some shops in the US that stock Hubers though, look for them.

Usually there's always a 'get what you like better' - discussion, but honestly, anyone who takes a Gibson Custom over a Huber is just batsh*t insane. Yes, they are that good.

If you want a Huber that is LP-ish, look at the Orca. If you want a slightly 'lighter' sound, the Dolphin or Redwood are a better choice. All of these are extremely versatile, have excellent handling and quality and will most likely be worth a truck full of cash in twenty years. They are very expensive though.

EDIT: Oh, you're from Greece, not the US. Sorry, my bad. There is a distributor for Hubers in greece though, it's listed somewhere on Nik Huber's site:
www.nikhuber-guitars.de

Please excuse their crappy english.

Sometimes you can spot a Huber on ebay. They don't go for cheap though.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
Hubers are among the best there are. If you are one of the incredibly lucky guys who have access to a Huber, you should go for it. Only downside is that you'd probably have to wait 1.5 years if you custom order one. There are some shops in the US that stock Hubers though, look for them.

Usually there's always a 'get what you like better' - discussion, but honestly, anyone who takes a Gibson Custom over a Huber is just batsh*t insane. Yes, they are that good.

If you want a Huber that is LP-ish, look at the Orca. If you want a slightly 'lighter' sound, the Dolphin or Redwood are a better choice. All of these are extremely versatile, have excellent handling and quality and will most likely be worth a truck full of cash in twenty years. They are very expensive though.

But, you've got to remember, it's expensive, you have to wait a year and a half and they're hard to get. That is quite bad. And it's not like a Gibson Custom Shop guitars are rubbish anyways; they are pretty much awesome. Nothing like the guitars that come off the 'Standard' line.

So, what I would do is if you can't get a Huber guitar, or if it's too expensive, just get a Gibson or some other custom guitar.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Hey guys, thanks for all the input, and in such a short time! Indeed, I do live in Greece and the Luthier that I mentioned is in fact the guy that Hendriko says. The verdict so far, if I understand correctly, is BUY A F**KIN' HUBER! Well, it looks as if that might be my choice in the end.
Quote by GangsterLi
buy a gibson ... because you will have a gibson! and huber, it sounds a little strange to me... little fishy?

gtfo you cretin. huber are amongst the most well-respected boutique guitars in the world.

Quote by TheQuailman

EDIT: Oh, you're from Greece, not the US. Sorry, my bad. There is a distributor for Hubers in greece though, it's listed somewhere on Nik Huber's site:
www.nikhuber-guitars.de

Please excuse their crappy english.

Sometimes you can spot a Huber on ebay. They don't go for cheap though.

+1, I've only tried one huber, and it was awesome. extremely expensive, though. judging by the one i tried, there's absolutely no contest between a gibson and it. A lot of people say that there's no contest between gibsons and PRSs (with PRSs being higher quality, with more attention taken to detail etc.)- i'd say there's the same difference between hubers and PRSs (with hubers being much nicer than any PRSs I've tried).

As i said, though, the problem is the price, you're going to have a lot of options if you have enough money for a huber, and at that kind of money a lot of people make extremely nice guitars (tyler, suhr, etc. etc. ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Lil Macker
But, you've got to remember, it's expensive, you have to wait a year and a half and they're hard to get. That is quite bad. And it's not like a Gibson Custom Shop guitars are rubbish anyways; they are pretty much awesome. Nothing like the guitars that come off the 'Standard' line.

So, what I would do is if you can't get a Huber guitar, or if it's too expensive, just get a Gibson or some other custom guitar.

Yeah, you're right. What I was trying to say is, if one walked into a store and saw a Gibson CS next to a Huber, one would go for the Huber, even if it is pricier (the cheapest Huber is about 2500€ and 3500€ are considered normal). I really have not seen a recent Gibson yet that was as good as a Huber, not even the 6000€ CS ones, and I play everything I can get my hands on.
The time you have to wait for a Huber is a big problem though.
^ yeah, that's what i meant. certainly a few stores have off-the-shelf models ready for purchase. whether or not any of the greek stores do, I don't know.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zooropean11
Hey guys, thanks for all the input, and in such a short time! Indeed, I do live in Greece and the Luthier that I mentioned is in fact the guy that Hendriko says. The verdict so far, if I understand correctly, is BUY A F**KIN' HUBER! Well, it looks as if that might be my choice in the end.

well i wouldn't put it like that, but if your luthier-friend is a huber-dealer, couldn't he try to get a guitar (or a few for that matter) for you to try without any obligations to buy?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
good point. if he has any in stock, he could let you try them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Actually, my luthier does happen to have a Huber on display, but it's a Dolphin model, and seeing as I need a bit more bass end and sustain for my style, it isn't the model for me (I've played the s**t out of it in the store, and can guarantee that it doesn't suit me.) What I need is an Orca model. He says that he can get me one, but I'm impatient.

One more thing, if anyone cares to answer: I've found a used wine red Les Paul custom from '79 on a local site: http://poleitai.slando.gr/athina/5625310.html Should I go for this one perhaps?
oh ok, so you've tried a huber- i assume you liked it other than the fact it didn't suit the styles you're after?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Late '70s and early '80s Gibsons have a horrible reputation. I never played one myself, but people say they're some of the worst guitars Gibson ever made. This goes for Customs as well as for Standards.

And how the hell is it possible not to like the Dolphin?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok, so you've tried a huber- i assume you liked it other than the fact it didn't suit the styles you're after?

It's funny that you should say that... The very strange thing about that guitar (the Dolphin I mean) is that it was strung with guage .11 strings, but when I played it, it felt like I was playing with guage .9 strings (which is what I normally play with). It's true that I did like that guitar, at least concerning the feel of it, but the sound just didn't work for me...

Apart from that, yes, I did like the guitar.

At any rate, I'm gonna go to test that used Les Paul in the link in my previous post this weekend and if I don't like it, I'll go for the Huber Orca (I wonder if they have pitch black as a color option...)
Quote by TheQuailman
Late '70s and early '80s Gibsons have a horrible reputation. I never played one myself, but people say they're some of the worst guitars Gibson ever made. This goes for Customs as well as for Standards.

And how the hell is it possible not to like the Dolphin?

Sorry for the double post, but, to the contrary, I've heard that the early and mid-70's were a low point for the Les Paul and that they improved considerably afterwards. Otherwise I wouldn't be travelling 650 km to Athens just to try a '79 Les Paul out!
Quote by Zooropean11
It's funny that you should say that... The very strange thing about that guitar (the Dolphin I mean) is that it was strung with guage .11 strings, but when I played it, it felt like I was playing with guage .9 strings (which is what I normally play with). It's true that I did like that guitar, at least concerning the feel of it, but the sound just didn't work for me...

Apart from that, yes, I did like the guitar.

that's normally a sign of liking a guitar, if it makes such a difference with those string gauges. does the dolphin have the same scale length you're used to, though? if you're used to 25.5" (fender-style length), for example, going to 24.75" (gibson) could make 10s feel like 9s. I'm sure you know that already, though.

not too sure about the sound- i'm not even entirely sure which model i tried, it did sound very "classic", though, so i get where you're coming from if you think it didn't really sound exactly like what you want. I've only tried one, though, so i have no idea how the other models sound...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Having played my neighbor's huber, you'll kick yourself for wasting your money on a gibson. Trust me, there's no way to even compare the two.