I have tried the Vypyr 75w at GC and i just love it but I dont know what to do... I mean, should i wait for the tube version or just grab the 75?

Cause people have said the 75w is very loud, and sounds very good at loud volumes as well... so it kinda matches what the tubes would do on the 60w

plus, i think i'd have to crank the 60w a lot in order to make it worth the extra 150$, but i dont want hearing damage :P

As of right now, this is mostly for bedroom practice, jamming with a band (loudest drummer i've ever jammed with) and hopefully gigs in the future...

I dont want to get a bunch of pedals for FX so i decided to just stick with the Vypyr, so i want the best i could get... the 120w tube seems like a completely overkill though, so im trying to choose between the 75w and the 60w

Maybe i could use the money left overs to put a Swamp Thang in the 75w... I dont know, what do you guys think?
I think that sounds like a good idea.... to go with the vypyr........ I hear they are very good
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
tubes almost always>modulation
ive tried a the vyper and its a nice modulation amp but in the end theres noting like a good tube amp and a good pedal to push it.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Wait and try the 60 cause if you buy the 75 now then play a 60 later you'll will regret buying the 75 if you like the 60 better. If you wait until you've played both then you know you're buying the one you like best.

But i cant crank them before i buy them
id personally go with the tube 60watt for the better sound(and 60w tube will sound a lot louder than 70w ss)

wait and try them both
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
That's the thing that makes me think, because the tube version will really shine over the 75w at loudish volumes... and those things can get very loud. so i may never get that many chances to let the tubes make their worth
Quote by xJuan91x
That's the thing that makes me think, because the tube version will really shine over the 75w at loudish volumes... and those things can get very loud. so i may never get that many chances to let the tubes make their worth

I don't know. If you really like the 75 and don't think the 60 would work better for you then go for it I guess.
EDIT: Upgade the speaker for sure if you get the 75. I don't know if the 60 would need it or not.
Honeslty you shouldnt even look at a SS amp as loud. The tone is the same as it is at .5 to 10(minus clipping of coarse lol). Now tube amps I can see it as a problem especially classic rock guys, but I would never be like ohhh no dont get a 75w SS amp its going to be to loud.. It has a volume knob people....

Sorry for the rant just think wattage and amps get people way to confused and myths get mixed around way to much...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Honeslty you shouldnt even look at a SS amp as loud. The tone is the same as it is at .5 to 10(minus clipping of coarse lol). Now tube amps I can see it as a problem especially classic rock guys, but I would never be like ohhh no dont get a 75w SS amp its going to be to loud.. It has a volume knob people....

Sorry for the rant just think wattage and amps get people way to confused and myths get mixed around way to much...

I agree, I also think tube amps get this rap too much.

If a tube amp has a master volume you can get decent sounds at any volume, but of course there's gonna be a sweet spot and it's probably gonna be pretty loud. I'd still take a tube amp at lower volume over an SS (barring a really nice SS or playing metal)
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by domiel
tubes almost always>modulation
ive tried a the vyper and its a nice modulation amp but in the end theres noting like a good tube amp and a good pedal to push it.

Modulation?

Modeling.

Modulation=changing keys or a variation in pitch/volume.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

That's pretty much what I was saying. My 30 is so loud I don't want to krank it. I think xJuan91x was talking about the 60 being loud to get the best sound from the tubes. That's why he's considering the 75.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
That's pretty much what I was saying. My 30 is so loud I don't want to krank it. I think xJuan91x was talking about the 60 being loud to get the best sound from the tubes. That's why he's considering the 75.

Yes! that's exactly what i meant

the tubes keep getting delayed though =/
Quote by xJuan91x
Yes! that's exactly what i meant

the tubes keep getting delayed though =/

The tube version probably wont sound as harsh as the SS version would if that makes any sense.

Like people say cause of clipping and what not could make it sound worse at higher volumes.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Quote by zakkwyldefan79

Thats the issue as well, tube amps do not need to be loud to get the best sound depending on the genre of music you play. Also depending on the person loud to one might not be loud to anohter. There so many well he said she said this guy in a band said mumbo jumbo about amp loudness its insane...
Quote by Ryohazuki
The tube version probably wont sound as harsh as the SS version would if that makes any sense.

Like people say cause of clipping and what not could make it sound worse at higher volumes.

are u saying the tube might sound worse at higher volumes?
^He's just saying that not necessarily everyone wants cranked power amp distortion.

Edit, Err, I mean to say that's what I think he's getting at and I agree, whenever I play metal I tend to turn the master down to tighten the amp up a bit.
Isn't most of the amp SS so the tube won't make that much of a difference right? The sticky said that hybrids like these hardly sound different than normal solid states. Anyone care to clarify?
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
^It's gonna have tubes in the power sections and I believe on in the preamp section. I'm not holding my breath for anything amazing.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Thats the issue as well, tube amps do not need to be loud to get the best sound depending on the genre of music you play. Also depending on the person loud to one might not be loud to anohter. There so many well he said she said this guy in a band said mumbo jumbo about amp loudness its insane...

I was trying to say if he didn't think the tone would be better with the tube 60 then he could go ahead and get the 75. I would wait and try the 60 first then buy the one I liked best. I agree on the volume issue. That's what the the volume knob is for. xJuan91x was just worried the 60 would need to be turned up really loud to sound good.
Quote by Pinky19
Isn't most of the amp SS so the tube won't make that much of a difference right? The sticky said that hybrids like these hardly sound different than normal solid states. Anyone care to clarify?

Hybrids will sound the same as a SS until cranked..

Examples

Spidervalve- Modeling preamp into Tube power amp section.

You get a touch of warmth but pretty much un-noticeable until cranked then the preamp tone will become warmer and creamier. Due to power amp saturation.

Side note the same theory was used on the older Marshalls example some of the JCM 800's they used diode clipping in the preamp circuit and in order to get a better less harsh tone you had to crank the hell out of it to get that rich creamy tone because it masked the harshness of diode clipping and added warmth.

Valvestate- This is a full blown SS amp with a preamp tube slammed in the preamp section.

You get pretty much nothing from this except in some case's a touch of warmth but its mainly a gimmick/marketing ploy.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Oct 31, 2008,
Well i decided to go ahead and get the 75w... I played around with it for like 1 hour...

all I gotta say is WOW.

this thing is amazing.