Ok..... so don't go jumping on my about this one until you think about it.

I was learning to play, and struggling to learn the fret numbers. It was really hard for me to keep track of the fret number and read the score in front of me. As is common with most beginners, I had trouble getting my fingers in position quickly enough.
Sure, the fretboard is marked, but translating those markings, following the score, getting my fingers in position, and keeping up is difficult at best for a beginner. That's prolly why most give up.

So here it is. This will seem so obvious to some of you.
Take a thin strip of low stick painters tape. Any brand is ok. I use 1/4 inch wide.
Place the strip on the part of the neck you see when you look down. I left enough of a reveal so I could still see the little dots the luthier used to designate position. (they vary sometimes)
Number the frets with a line where the fret wire is at. You can learn buch better in an a to b translation, than an a to b to c translation. It's alot easier to read a tab and see 3rd string 10th fret, and look down and know right where the tenth fret is. The minute time it takes a beginner to count down the neck can throw of rythm and frustrate the player.
This was really helpful to me. I was able to increase my speed. It also helped me to play the proper chords with less string buzz.

The painters tape has a really mild adhesive that wont mess with the finish on your guitar, and you can just peel it off once you have it down.

Give it a try.
What could it hurt.

David
Last edited by goofyboy06 at Oct 31, 2008,
after like a week of practice you should be able to know what fret you're at without really thinking about it...besides it sounds like you're practicing songs a weird way
honestly I don't think this is usefull at all...
I mean, 1st dot = 3rd fret, 2nd dot= 5th fret, 3rd dot= 7th fret, 4th dot=9th fret, and 5ft dot=12th fret...and so on. What's all that difficult with that. It'll come with a little practice and time...Either way, you'll still have to check on your neck to know where you are playin, wether it's tape or dots...TBH, I think it's a loss of time
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez SZ320
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Crafter D8/N
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby
There's a reason they put dots along the edge of the fretboard too...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by /-Vince-\
honestly I don't think this is usefull at all...
I mean, 1st dot = 3rd fret, 2nd dot= 5th fret, 3rd dot= 7th fret, 4th dot=9th fret, and 5ft dot=12th fret...and so on. What's all that difficult with that. It'll come with a little practice and time...Either way, you'll still have to check on your neck to know where you are playin, wether it's tape or dots...TBH, I think it's a loss of time

Not every guitar has those little dots. Some only have 2 or 3 along the neck.
I practice every day. I still have trouble getting it. It's easy for someone who already knows how to do it to play Monday morning quarter back with beginner tips.

I don't really pick unusual music to learn. I chose a classic rock song. "Sunshine of your love" by Eric Clapton. It is challenging, but the intro is a good practice piece.

I put this tip out there for the people still trying to get this down. Many of you might have a friend that has been struggling to learn for years. This might help. Some people just can't keep track of that stuff. It happens. Some people might get it in a week, and others might take months to be able to remember with confidence. Everyone learns at their own pace.

I put this up hoping someone might be encouraged by this but the first 2 comments were just about tearing the idea down. I hope someone might be encouraged to help a friend who stopped tying to learn. This might be the thing to help them learn a basic that many take for granted.
He's only trying to help others guys! Lets not be hard on him for just trying to be helpful!

Who knows if someone will read this and find it to be useful!

Don't worry goofyboy, I think it's cool of you that you found something useful while playing and have the desire to help others out as well!