So i was reading an artical on bass cab speakers in one of my music mags. They talked about the advantages and disadvantages to each class of speaker size. Going through 5'', 8'', 10'', 12'', 15'', 18'', 21'', 25''and Jesus, they even have 30'' speakers now. The bigger the better, right? Well aparently they make cabs that have 24 x 5" speakers for bass amp heads, what the hell? How is that in any way going to sound good for a bass? Just wondering because would the lack of speaker size effect the low end? Has anyone ever used a set up like that?
i dont know much, dont go by what i say, but it sounds to me like a bigger speaker would bring more bass, so that would be better for a bass, but the multiple speakers could give it a more open sound... so maybe haveing one big speaker, and a bunch of smaller ones might be good
but im just guessing lol
the smaller speakers would do good if you were bass shredding
but for most bassists 12-15" is typically the best sounding for playing a well balanced rhythm
they need to make cabs w/ speakers of different sizes like one with a 21" two 12" and two 8" speakers to get an awesome sound
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I presume you mean phil jones' speaker cabinets. They would be very hi fi and sort of techno ie im thinking. Yet they would pack alot of punch and mostly likely make up for lack of low end in different ways. The Swr henry cab 8x8 is supposed to be an excellent cab from the reviews ive read and packs loads more pucnh than a 8x10 aparently

http://www.philjonesbass.com/products-speakers-8t24b.htm

is that the cab
A cab that is deep tight and rich in harmonics.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by CurbstompBass

I can't see why anyone would want a 30 inch speaker, though. Seems ridiculous.

Might be useful for demolishing small buildings.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Actually i think the 30" speakers were used for home steroes or something along time ago and were super light i think.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by wouldyakindly
Might be useful for demolishing small buildings.

Or getting some recognizable sound outta the Vampyre Dark Lord.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The smaller the speaker the tighter the sound. I like the properties of 8" speakers a lot. When you have so many small speakers it helps make up for the speaker size with sheer area of sound.

Yessir. That, and the acoustics of the cab itself play a big role. Somebody was talking about the SWR Henry the 8x8 earlier. That cab is 18.5" deep. Now take the classic (coughoverratedcough) Ampeg SVT 8x10 cab. 16" deep.

Now, that deeper cab on the SWR will amplify the frequencies produced by the speakers within. All the frequencies will be amplified, but the lower frequencies moreso - and of course, speaker surface area and other things factor in too. And though the speakers are only 8 inches in diameter, they can still reach decently deep frequencies.

What you'd expect from that cab then is of course sparkling pristine highs (we're assuming a high-end SWR is going to be quality, and why shouldn't we), some good punch on the mids, and low end that isn't negligible. However, there are lower frequencies that, no matter how deep the cab, those speakers simply cannot produce. This is when you get a 2x15 to complement and fill in the sound.

Now TS, as for your 24x5... man, I can only speculate, I really want to give that one a listen.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
All the speakers you have listed can be made to handle Bass frequencies just as headphones can, it is how efficiently they reproduce those low frequencies that counts, mass loading of 8+ speakers can give a greater volume of sound but I have to ask is it worth the price and effort when you consider that a decent 1x15 Neo cab paired with a 2x10 Neo+horn cab as an option.
I was up at Matamp this week and they were finishing some 8x10s; I certainly would not like to lug anything like that around at my age whereas I've just completed two single 15s loaded with Eminence Deltalite 11 2515 Neos.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by quicksilver25
Or getting some recognizable sound outta the Vampyre Dark Lord.
There's a guy on youtube playing the Vampyre Dark Lord through an Eden 2x10. The guy's playing sucks but the Vampyre sound has a crazy amount of growl. (Fund for a Warwick Corvette Standard(Active electronics) is $150 out of $1559 )
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
There's a guy on youtube playing the Vampyre Dark Lord through an Eden 2x10. The guy's playing sucks but the Vampyre sound has a crazy amount of growl. (Fund for a Warwick Corvette Standard(Active electronics) is $150 out of $1559 )

I see them on eBay or Craigslist all the time for around $700 USD. I bought mine (99' Corvette FL, Wenge neck, Active Electronics) for $500 in mint condition with a Warwick hardshell case and case candy. If you don't mind buying used then it is definitely the way to go when it comes to Warwicks.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.