I'm looking in to getting a new amp. I need one for band practice/small gigs. A solid state would be nice for all the different effects and whatnot, but I was told that I would be way better of with a tube amp. We have a song with an electric playing chords (not bar or power), and it sounds awful on my amp when the toned is turned down, and turned up it is just ear piercing. In between isn't good either. But if I get a tube, I'm going to need a pedal. So what do you suggest?
What styles are you playing? What tones are you after?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Most of our songs are one of two sounds, Softer 90's rock (Red Hot Chili Peppers), and Heavier New Rock (Coheed & Cambria, not their heavy, but that sound style). We have a girl singer, and it seems to work greatly for both styles.
Cube 60 is worth a look, the crate v series with an OD might work. A randall rg50tc or a b-52 at112 used would do well also. A valveking might work as well with an OD.
Believe it or not, I have played some really nice-sounding Line 6's.
valveking w/ od pedal
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by RG PROG
Believe it or not, I have played some really nice-sounding Line 6's.

Says the guy with the toneblaster....

A use flextone would be a good option though, the vetta is out of his range and the spider is terrible though.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Cube 60 is worth a look, the crate v series with an OD might work. A randall rg50tc or a b-52 at112 used would do well also. A valveking might work as well with an OD.

^ he nailed it

The only thing I would add would be maybe a vox ad50vt, it's pretty much the same thing as the cube 60.

Since you guys do RHCP type stuff, you probably use a lot of effects right? So if you're not going to get any more money anytime soon to buy new effects, you should definitely try out the cube and the vox. That said, if you are going to be able to buy effects in the near future, then one of the tube amps kevin suggested would probably be better.
valveking 112 combo, or a peavey classic 30, the classic 30 might not be heavy enough though.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp