I'm mixing a song I'm writing for my band, all I have so far is the guitars and bass, and I (not a bassist, but the one that records all the guitar) am having a hard time finding a spot for the bass to fit in the mix.

When I listen to all my favorite bands, unless there is a drop out to where you only hear the bass, I can't really hear the bass. Unless of course I really try to. But in the genre of Metal, where does the bass fit in? Are you just supposed to barely hear it, is it supposed to be pretty noticable?

You can crit the song (in progress) if you'd like, but really I'd just like to know if the bass is too loud or too soft in the mix.

Lydian Demo 4
i like the playing, and i think the bass was at an okay level in this mix, but the guitars sound too thin
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Thanks for your input
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I would suggest a tiny bit more bass, being a bassist myself. But that's more of an opinion thing. Whatever sounds best to you.
to try to thickin out the sound
use a humbucker on one guitar track
and single coil on a different one
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by justlivin
to try to thickin out the sound
use a humbucker on one guitar track
and single coil on a different one

Yeah I used two different tones for each guitar to simulate that. One with T75 speakers and the other with V30's
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by liamhardiner
cant hear the bass lol

Must mean I'm on the right track.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
did u try a little less overdrive on the single?
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I agree with the above people really, nice bass tone, but the whole thing needs more bass!
Thanks guys, I'll boost the bass!
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I can't really hear the bass...
But it depends if you want a Chevelle-type sound or a Metallica-type sound. If you are trying to make a Chevelle-style sound, I say make the bass closely resemble the guitar and add a lot of bass, but if you want a Metallica-style sound, not so much bass and make a lot of guitar solos. Good song though! Send me the final product when its finished!

Chevelle Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjKwkg04Hiw

Metallica Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvIQXDzMXw&feature=related
It's hard to mix in the bass without the drums. A pop vocal mix is often built starting with the vocal and working down to the rhythm section, and a rock mix is often built from the rhythm tracks up. The bass, then, is generally mixed somewhat in reference to the drums. You have to make sure that the bass and the kick drum aren't competing for space in the mix. That is achieved partly through mic selection, and partly through EQ. If you're going to boost the kick drum around 60hz to get a good solid 'thud' on the kick, then the bass guitar can't effectively live down there too. You'd be better boosting it around 300hz to give it a little bit more mid, but not so much so that it will step on the guitars.

Trying to mix the bass and the guitars together.... don't be afraid to roll of a lot of the bottom on the guitars. They'll sound thin, but once the bass is added, will really beef up.

In any case, though... trying to mix bass without drums.... just wait until you have the drum parts, if I were you.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by StillSoundRG
But in the genre of Metal, where does the bass fit in? Are you just supposed to barely hear it, is it supposed to be pretty noticable?

Depends on the subgenre and band lineup really. A lot of death and black metal you'll rarely hear the bass at all. Thrash can have a more audible bass while the "classic" metal like Maiden or Ozzy's early solo stuff usually has a fairly prominent bass. Overall I like it when you can hear the bass but it doesn't have to be so in front that you can hear every single thing it plays.

What you have on your demo is not enough bass, period. When the guitars drop away towards the end and you can hardly hear the bass, that means there's not enough!! Anyway, like axemanchris said, don't be afraid of cutting the low end of the guitars a bit to make room for the bass. You can also try an old-school way of giving the bass it's own room by effectively splitting the track by using an aux where you set up a simple high cut filter and then add overdrive after that. This will allow the overdrive to apply only to the lower frequencies of the bass, so that it doesn't fight for sonic space with the guitars, but you'll still have the weight of the original track to round out the lower end.

Another good point axemanchris makes is about mixing bass without drums. Fitting the kick with the bass, and creating a "together" rhythm section, is the cornerstone of all good mixing.

Overall your guitars do sound a bit too similar, and in my opinion, a tad too distorted. When recording it's usually better to back off a little bit with the overdrive/distorsion than what sounds good when you're previewing the sounds.
My computer is so slow it takes forever to load audio files. I do have some advice though; if you can put the bass in the left channel, put one guitar in the right channel and one in the middle (if you have two guitars, from what people have said it sounds like you do.) I hope this helps in some way.
There's a saying the bass is meant to be felt and not heard.... what this means is that the bass is not neccessarily meant to be heard as a melodic instrument, but instead it just adds fulness and low end. Now you might not be able to hear the bass, but if you suddenly took it away you'd definately feel that something was missing.

Same if you were listeing to music in a club through a PA, or through some big speakers, the bass is what makes that thumping in your chest.

I can't listen to your mix right now but I maybe will later, but as far as mixing it for metal, you want to watch it doesn't get in the way of the guitars, as metal guitars are usually quite low. In my mixes I cut all the guitars completely below 200hz to make room, but this might not work for metal.