i have a few wonderful questions about strings.....and g strings in paticular (haha yes g-strings)

when i palm mute my 5th string power chords, the g string alwas sounds really yucky and kills the good sound.....it also makes it a bit hard to strum fast

my strings are 9-46...would thicker strings help

also, are thicker strings better for down tuning? do they sound better 4 metal?
If you're detuning your guitar, yea heavier strings are in order. Some companies make them specifically for low tunings. Not- even slinky's are like 13-68 or something like that. They're made specially for dropped d and A or B tuned guitars and still have some tension on the strings.

If your "G" string is giving you problems you may check the intonation of that string. The intonation of the guitar will change with lower tunings as well... not as much tension on the neck, lengthening the scale (overall length of the string), changing the intonation. To fix this just get a good tuner. Hit the open note, tune the string to the open note in the pitch you're tuned to. i.e. if the low E is tuned to low A 440 then tune to that. Then hit the 12th fret harmonic. If the note from the harmonic is sharp from the open string that means the scale length is too long. Just the opposite if the string is flat. Adjust the saddle accordingly. I hope you don't have a floyd rose. Yikes.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
Last edited by The_rylan at Oct 31, 2008,
Check the edit^^^
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
i have a fender hss strat with stock bridge so i dont think i have an fr....what the hell is the saddle

also with the g string like it just slows me down with pms for some reason

it sounds fine not pmed tho
Last edited by a7xrocks02 at Oct 31, 2008,
A saddle is the metal that the string sits on. On a les paul it's trapezoid shaped. It's got a couple of allen screws in it on your strat... each one will move back and forth on the bridge.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/anatomy.html

Google is your friend.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
Quote by a7xrocks02

also with the g string like it just slows me down with pms for some reason

Lol wut.
Quote by The_rylan
If you're detuning your guitar, yea heavier strings are in order. Some companies make them specifically for low tunings. Not- even slinky's are like 13-68 or something like that. They're made specially for dropped d and A or B tuned guitars and still have some tension on the strings.

Just felt the need to clear this up... they're made by Ernie Ball, 12 to 56. I've been using these for D standard every since I got my guitar.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."