Hey guys, I have recently started being more serious about playing guitar, and I was wondering what you guys would suggest in terms of an amp for playing metal and metalcore. I have a distortion pedal, but I am not really happy with the sound I am getting out of my amp. (its a shitty starter kit amp that i got when i got my first guitar). I would really appreciate some suggestions, and just for reference my price range is not too high, although not bottom of the line either; so reasonable.

Thanks.
Hey man, Maybe a Laney, Crate or Marshall? Depends on the metal I guess. I think a 120 watt Crate stack (transistor I think) is about $1200 Australian dollars, Laney about the same or a little dearer. Marshalls not sure, I think a half stack and vavle head is like $4000. Hope that helps a bit.
BUGERA Makes a phat sounding amp for that sorta music.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, I am thinking that a combo amp would suit me better and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of the Crate V Series V50-112 50W 1x12 Combo Tube Amp. Is 50W enough for small gigs? I haven't had a chance to play one yet, as Thunder Bay has a limited selection, but when I head back to Ottawa in December I will be trying one out.
a v50 won't get you metalcore amounts of gain, but it is a good amp. 50W is enough for small gigs
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
The V50 and a metal muff might get you there on a budget. Keep an eye on Ottawa's craigslist for a 5150 combo - you may get lucky and find one in December. A Bugera 6262 or 333XL, or Randall RG50tc would be worth a look as well.
Quote by gregs1020
The V50 and a metal muff might get you there on a budget. Keep an eye on Ottawa's craigslist for a 5150 combo - you may get lucky and find one in December. A Bugera 6262 or 333XL, or Randall RG50tc would be worth a look as well.

That about sums it up. Go used if you can.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by facethewaste
i second this

i third this.

the 5150 is a great value for a metal amp at any level....beginner to pro.