ive never really been too serious about guitar but it has finally dawned on me that learning to play well would be a wonderful thing. i can play a little acoustic, basically nothing more than a few chords and a few simple songs.

well anyway my question is, aside from lessons with an instructor which i simply cannot afford due to the cost of going to college. what online websites that provide lessons or sites that offer learn at home dvd programs work best for teaching yourself and if you have ever tried any could you give me a sincere opinion about them?

im not quite sure where this post really belongs but i figured the electric guitar forum would be best since that is what im trying to learn.

thanks in advance for the help
I learned alot from Ultimate-Guitar .com seriously there are some awesome lessons and videos right here on this site just search the tabs for lessons!
Electric Guitars Samick Torino,Jay Turser warlord, Jay turser jt-xg2( thats a double neck) New york pro Strat copy Acoustics Ibanez pf , new york pro and 3 nylons from the 70's
first of all I welcome you. 2nd..... never ever, EVER go to the PIT.

But really, scales are a basic need to know thing. Anything can be done when you know your scales. I recommend learning you pentatonic scales if you have not already.
Quote by guitardudedon
I learned alot from Ultimate-Guitar .com seriously there are some awesome lessons and videos right here on this site just search the tabs for lessons!

yeah there are a lot of really helpful lessons if you can take the time to fully read and understand them
Bacially if you go into the pit, you either never come out the same, or never come out.
I'd highly recommend going in there. Its a good character builder.

But congrats on wanting to get serious about your playing. I'd recommend learning some theory, while not completely neccessary i've found it helps you visualise your instrument in a completely different way.If you're talking abut mastering your instrument, scales, chords and intervals are a must. If you just want to be a good player, challenge yourself with songs that are on the edge of your technique and perfect them, i've found that a good way to build my technique. But don't forget to do focused practice, technical exercises and such.

Anyway, enough ranting, welcome to ug and enjoy your stay!