are there any exercises that can actually increase the reach between your index finger and pinky?
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
Try playing a long distance trill for as long as you can

something like 5h12 or as long as you can stand it.
i cant even go from 5 to 11
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
That's fine you don't have reach that far

just trill as far as you can reach and hold it for as long as you can. It will get easier with time and practice.

When that distance feels normal try moving up one fret at a time.

Chances are you'll never have to play anything that requires you to reach that far anyhow.

How much of a reach do you want?
Quote by yearzero

How much of a reach do you want?

i just want to go from 4 to 9 like in the Four Seasons; i still have a little ways to go though.
Make sure you stretch out before you play. Watch John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD. He gives a really good stretch for your hands and arms in it. After that, place your hand on 4 adjacent frets on 4 adjacent strings (i.e. index finger on the 12th fret of the D string, middle finger on the 13th fret of the G string, ring on the 14th of the B string and pinky on the 15th of the e string) and play each note individually and make sure they ring out clearly. Then move the entire thing up a string (so now it's the A string to the B string) and play it again. Then go to the final string group (E to G). Then move your index finger down a fret while keeping the others where they are and play it again, starting at the top 4 strings and going to the bottom 4. Then just move one finger down a fret at a time until you can't stretch anymore. Within 2 weeks of doing this, you should be able to stretch quite a bit farther than you can now. If you don't understand, send me a PM and I'll send you a tab.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Make sure you stretch out before you play. Watch John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD. He gives a really good stretch for your hands and arms in it. After that, place your hand on 4 adjacent frets on 4 adjacent strings (i.e. index finger on the 12th fret of the D string, middle finger on the 13th fret of the G string, ring on the 14th of the B string and pinky on the 15th of the e string) and play each note individually and make sure they ring out clearly. Then move the entire thing up a string (so now it's the A string to the B string) and play it again. Then go to the final string group (E to G). Then move your index finger down a fret while keeping the others where they are and play it again, starting at the top 4 strings and going to the bottom 4. Then just move one finger down a fret at a time until you can't stretch anymore. Within 2 weeks of doing this, you should be able to stretch quite a bit farther than you can now. If you don't understand, send me a PM and I'll send you a tab.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6490975382658539247&ei=bOMJSbuVOpycrALwl-WcCg&q=Rock+discipline

^
There you go threadstarter, and person who needed help explaining.
Quote by Orbit91
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6490975382658539247&ei=bOMJSbuVOpycrALwl-WcCg&q=Rock+discipline

^
There you go threadstarter, and person who needed help explaining.

Thanks for the link to help clear things up.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.