I play a First Act. It's not that I'm a begginer or I can't play, I just can't come up with the two-hundred bones for a guitar worth upgrading to, seeing as I'm too young for a job and can't get ahold of enough money at one time to put some back for an instrument.

I've never played with another person, and I want to try it pretty bad. I know a few other guitarists, one of which is skilled, gets along with me, and has similar taste in music. However, he plays a Gibson. So, how will other musicians react if I walk in with a ghetto axe? Is it worth a try? Opinions please. Bear in mind I'm speaking of teenagers.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
if you played it well and it is in tune and works, i dont think anyone should care what it is. It just proves youre a better player if you can make a lesser guitar sound the same as a more expensive one
what feels right to you, I showed up to jams with a death metal band with some of my vintage instruments.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
I get some pretty good reactions from playing my Squier seven-string with people. They're surprised that any Fender product can sound so goddamn HEAVY.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
as long as you can play, there's not much of a problem, it's worst when you have amazing gear but no skill
Quote by /TIM\
if you played it well and it is in tune and works, i dont think anyone should care what it is. It just proves youre a better player if you can make a lesser guitar sound the same as a more expensive one.

This.
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
I play a First Act. It's not that I'm a begginer or I can't play, I just can't come up with the two-hundred bones for a guitar worth upgrading to, seeing as I'm too young for a job and can't get ahold of enough money at one time to put some back for an instrument.

I've never played with another person, and I want to try it pretty bad. I know a few other guitarists, one of which is skilled, gets along with me, and has similar taste in music. However, he plays a Gibson. So, how will other musicians react if I walk in with a ghetto axe? Is it worth a try? Opinions please. Bear in mind I'm speaking of teenagers.

Look man, Kurt Cobain played off-brand guitars up until the day he died, even if his bassist was playing a vintage Gibson. It really doesn't matter if it's name brand or not, just as long as you know how to play. Don't even worry about it. Who knows? You might even look cooler if you can make good songs playing with it.
Well.....if you can't come up with the money for a new guitar.....can you come up with the cash to have the guitar set up/intonated/looked over, all that? That way the guitar would be the best it could be for what you have, and might play a bit nicer and easier for you.

I had a First Act guitar a few years ago......to be honest, I liked the kind of unique, trashy sound it had, possibly because it wasn't so "high-end" or whatever.....to paraphrase what others said, only a faulty craftsman blames his tools--don't let it hold you back from creating.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by BHowell
I had a First Act guitar a few years ago......to be honest, I liked the kind of unique, trashy sound it had, possibly because it wasn't so "high-end" or whatever.

Agreed, the First Act's sound isn't so bad for The White Stripes songs.

Thanks guys. I'll get his number and try to get a session arranged.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Didn't Cobain play a Fender Mustang? I wouldn't call that an off-brand guitar.

As far as where you are now, don't sweat it. I really don't think any group of teenagers really expects you, as a beginner player, to walk in with a Les Paul and a Marshall stack. I really believe that at this point, as long as you can play it, and it is reliable and in tune, you're fine.

However, as you improve your skills and get a bit older and want to play with musicians who are a little more experienced or professional, the quality of your gear becomes a little more of an issue. It will need to be good quality gear. Don't confuse that necessarily with expensive name brand gear. After playing for over 25 years now, I still can't afford (or more to the point now, can't justify the expense of) really high end gear. I did upgrade over the past couple of years though to the stuff that is in my sig. The main thing, though, is that despite not being really expensive stuff, it is reliable, stays in tune and sounds good. Sound familiar?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Didn't Cobain play a Fender Mustang? I wouldn't call that an off-brand guitar.

If i'm right it was an out of fashion guitar which allowed people to pick vintage ones up cheap, same as the jaguar.

But yeah if it sounds good go with it. Paul westerburg has a played a cheap first act.
As long as it works. It's worth it to keep upgrading in mind however, as First Act's don't age very well.
If you can play, the cost of your guitar doesn't really matter. At least until you become really professional. But even if your guitar is cheap, you should keep it good shape, with fresh strings and a proper setup.
well, it's all about the sound...
if you can sound killer using your axe then all is good...

a pickup replacement and/or a fret level can be a cheap(er) upgrade to the guitar that may improve your sound...
also, don't underestimate the amp...
Quote by axemanchris
I really don't think any group of teenagers really expects you, as a beginner player, to walk in with a Les Paul and a Marshall stack.

You'd be surprised.

Especially because that setup is so common it's becoming a bad cliche.

I still remember jamming with a drummer who was disappointed that I used Fender products at all, until he noted that my sound was ****ing BRUTAL \m/
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Yeah, I know there are some teenagers out there whose mommies and daddies will run out and get 'em that. Good on 'em I suppose if they can pull that off. And surely, yes, there are a precious few who save their own nickels up and buy this stuff on their own.

However... as a *beginning* player.... only the truly spoiled get that stuff.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i've been playing for 13 years and i didn't even get decent stuff until maybe 2 years ago. and decent for me is a guitar that cost like.. $400

in the end, as long as you can play and be heard, people don't really care.. it not like your gear is a direct measurement of how serious you take your craft.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by axemanchris
main thing, though, is that despite not being really expensive stuff, it is reliable, stays in tune and sounds good. Sound familiar?

Um. It stays in tune.