Does anyone here bring multiple guitars (not just as spare, mind you, not asking about that) to gigs, with the idea being to switch for the different tones? I'm seriously leaning toward getting a Tele to use on some "lighter" tunes, and for different tones than my Les Paul on a few songs (I play '70s rock/powerpop/garage rock, if it matters).

I ask because I wonder if that's feasible to do that, and if other gigging musicians do this--bring multiple guitars to a gig, switch them out in a reasonable (quick) amount of time during sets, that kind of thing. Keep in mind I don't want an "all-in-one" guitar, with different kinds of pickups or whatever....I like classic styling for guitars and how they look the "old-fashioned" way, and I find an "all-in one" guitar always sacrifices sounding like one guitar's unique tone to sound "kind of" like several other famous guitars, but never truly like any one of them.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
sounds like you could use an effects board, TS.

But tone wise, to change guitars between songs live? Not feasible. With an effects board, you can dial in what effects in to get the tone so, on stage, with the press of a foot pedal, you instantly have the tone you want.

And like Martindeocrum said, changing guitars onstage is usually done to get different tunings. Like I have my Raptor in Drop C, my 10 string, in 10 string standardm my 7 string, in double dropped D, my one E335 in standard and my other E335 in dropped D.
Quote by xLESTERX
whos to say you can't?

Crowd hates it, time wasting for show, Bah it annoyed the hell out of me when i watched a local band THAT EVERYONE LIKES, change the guitars after one song and again after that, not in different tunings it was just for show, it pissed me off so boring
Quote by Martindecorum
Crowd hates it, time wasting for show, Bah it annoyed the hell out of me when i watched a local band THAT EVERYONE LIKES, change the guitars after one song and again after that, not in different tunings it was just for show, it pissed me off so boring

Well if you can do it quickly I don't see why not.. But it'd be good to avoid changing for every single song.
If you're only switching between 2 or 3, I don't see a problem, especially if its not excessive. Plan your setlist around what guitar you'll be needing, so you don't have to switch every other song.

And yes, doing it for the tuning, is more important that for the sound, IMO. You can cover the sound aspect with effects [as previously stated]
Good Deals: imgooley, pak1351
Lots of bands do it. Not so much bar bands, but arena bands and stuff. I've seen Goo Goo Dolls, Rush, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi all do it. Geez... surely others.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Lots of bands do it. Not so much bar bands, but arena bands and stuff. I've seen Goo Goo Dolls, Rush, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi all do it. Geez... surely others.

CT

Probly cause they WROTE the songs on the guitars that they play them on? Trying to recreate their original to the best of their ability? I dunno.

I usually switch my guitars for playability/pick-ups. Like, there's no way you're gonna get a Strat sound out of a Les Paul so when I play Sweet Home Alabama Les comes off and I get the Strat. Songs like Bark At The Moon when I need Strat playability and a heavier sound I switch to a LTD KH-602 since it's got the EMGs and the fluid feel to it.

Like this is just me, but there can be alot of reasons for switching your guitars.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

Goo Goo Dolls use alot of different tunings I think and it would be a pain to tune all the strings for different songs. As for the other 3 bands, probably do it because they can.
Quote by Superstrat101
I usually switch my guitars for playability/pick-ups. Like, there's no way you're gonna get a Strat sound out of a Les Paul so when I play Sweet Home Alabama Les comes off and I get the Strat. Songs like Bark At The Moon when I need Strat playability and a heavier sound I switch to a LTD KH-602 since it's got the EMGs and the fluid feel to it.

Okay, that's the reason I was looking for doing this.....I don't understand why anyone could think I could use a pedal board and get a Les Paul to sound like a Telecaster, IMO. (And I do have a pedal board, BTW.)

And I wouldn't be switching guitars every other song....more like plotting out the set and playing 5-6 before I switched over. I suppose, like others said, if the set was plotted out and the guitars were all tuned, there shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the responses everyone.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Alter bridge pulls off guitar switching quite nicely.

EDIT: And I use two, one for standard, drop d, and drop b (just the low e down) and the other for open D5
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by Regression
Goo Goo Dolls use alot of different tunings I think and it would be a pain to tune all the strings for different songs. As for the other 3 bands, probably do it because they can.

Yes....true.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Martindecorum

If your like my band and have 2 guitarists...
Whenever he changes guitars he takes a little bit so i play them some sort of solo, intro, what have you.
Either that or talk to the crowd.
Its not that hard to distract a crowds attention.
All of my guitars have something different about them. So I need to switch for some songs. ie, i can't play I don't wanna stop by ozzy with my SG. Tone wise, but more importantly i need the sustainer. i can't play other songs cause i need the tremolo (BIGSBY FTW!) on my SG.

just have the bassist talk to the crowd or play a solo while you switch!
I would say don't bother, the crowd will get annoye and you might look pretentious. Only good reason to is different tuning. The crowd won't care about the tone as much as you do, they just wasnt a good show without many interuptions.
Quote by Martindecorum

Thats why you have a friend hand them to you. You take one off hand it off and grab the next it takes 5 seconds. So many bands do this no problem theres no reason not too. The band you saw wasnt well prepared either the frontman had no charisma or they took way to long. I went to an show the guy had like 5 guitars to cover ozzy and he kept changing them by himself (like he had a rack right behind him) and it was only 30 secs tops between songs. It was better because he had the pokadot randy rhoads the zakk wylde signature and other jackson rr1s. It was cool to see the variety of instruments and didnt take very long at all. If you stop and tune up and dick around like an unprofessional jackass and make everyone wait thats your own stupidity and poor planning.
Look at Matt Bellamy and John Frusciante- they switch for nearly every song. But yeah few guitarists will go through an entire set with just one guitar (although its not unheard of)
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by BHowell
Does anyone here bring multiple guitars (not just as spare, mind you, not asking about that) to gigs, with the idea being to switch for the different tones? I'm seriously leaning toward getting a Tele to use on some "lighter" tunes, and for different tones than my Les Paul on a few songs (I play '70s rock/powerpop/garage rock, if it matters).

I ask because I wonder if that's feasible to do that, and if other gigging musicians do this--bring multiple guitars to a gig, switch them out in a reasonable (quick) amount of time during sets, that kind of thing. Keep in mind I don't want an "all-in-one" guitar, with different kinds of pickups or whatever....I like classic styling for guitars and how they look the "old-fashioned" way, and I find an "all-in one" guitar always sacrifices sounding like one guitar's unique tone to sound "kind of" like several other famous guitars, but never truly like any one of them.

Our guitarist brings two guitars, not two different ones, they're both SGs, but they're differently tuned so it's near enough the same thing that you're asking about.

What is important is that both guitars are set to roughly the same volume. You can do this by hightening or lowering the pickups.
On stage, to make the changeover quick, have the guitars on stands, (you can buy multi guitar racks for on stage use) the straps already on the guitars, and the lead already in the guitar and loosely curled up next to it, then it just a case of unplugging one guitar, taking it off, putting another one on and plugging it in.
I know it sounds nerdy but practice changing guitars until you get it down to a few seconds. It'll make for smooth, quick and professional looking transition on stage.
I used to do this thing where we had a false ending at the end of one of the songs.... a bit of a drum solo, and a Townsend-esque bit of big open chords ringing into feedback for the false ending. It was during that bit where I would put the one guitar down - every bit as much part of the act as anything else - and then about 10 seconds or so later, turn around and grab the other guitar on the stand to finish the 'real' ending of the song and to lead into the next song.

I did this because that one song was in drop-D, but I could play the ending in standard tuning.

To facilitate it, I had both guitars plugged into an A/B switch, so all I had to do once I had the next guitar ready to go was to kick the switch, and that killed the feeding back signal of the other guitar.

CT

I have one guitar that I use specifically on one song because it has a whammy bar. If you have a stand with a guitar next to you, and the guitar already has a strap on it, just hit standby, unplug, switch, plug, turn off standby. 10 seconds max.
When I saw the B-52's live the guitarist changed guitars for every song as far as I know, and absolutely seamlessly. However it did help that backstage he had 3 guys and pretty much a guitar workshop going on, a big rack of guitars, and they were handed to him and the other taken from him. I should think it would be doable, but not really practical if you use different EQ settings and volumes etc for guitars.
-Gear-
Ibanez SR-500
Epiphone EJ-200
PRS SE EG (SSH version)
Ashdown Perfect Ten 30w
Ashdown ABM500 Evo II

Based in Birmingham, available for any bass work.
MSN or email narcolepsy_patrol@hotmail.co.uk