Poll: Lower voting age to 16?
Poll Options
View poll results: Lower voting age to 16?
YEA
104 17%
NAY
499 83%
Voters: 603.
Page 1 of 5
I was reading this, and I was wondering what the pit thought about lowering the voting age to 16.
sup?
If the result of this poll is anything less than an overwhelming nay then I will lose faith in humanity...or at least the common sense of UGers...
FUCK NO!

We do NOT need our country's future in the hands of immature douchebags who think every politician who makes one joke is the shit.

No.

Nein.

Nyet.

Nunca.

Non.

Nol

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by YetAnotherMuso
If the result of this poll is anything less than an overwhelming nay then I will lose faith in humanity...or at least the common sense of UGers...

You think UGers have common sense??!!
sup?
Nay

I think legal thingies should be set at 18 years old, but things like voting should be allowed to older people with more maturity.
Hells no. It's bad enough that hundreds of 18 year olds are voting without knowing anything about the politics. I'm mainly referring to all of these kids with their Obama apparel. Now, I support him and also voting for him, but Obama shirts, shoes, hats. Come on now.
666 BRO
Quote by ldl67
You think UGers have common sense??!!

oh ye of little faith...note that said overwhelming nay is happening at the moment so that's something of a good sign.
Nay. They won't take it seriously at all, they'll make poorly informed choices. They would also have a greater chance of being influenced by their parents vote instead of making their own decision.

~Frussie

Michael Jackson - Forever loved
I'm pretty ambivalent to the subject.

I mean the average 16 year old might not be able to make an informed decision, but at the same time they probably wouldn't give a crap about it anyway. So the few that do will be able to.

Also, how many adults are complete morons and still can, and do vote?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
First of all, you win infinite internets for actually spelling "yea" correctly.

Second of all, half the people who can vote NOW shouldn't have that power.* There should be some sort of prerequisite exam when you register to vote.

*I'm talking locally, of course; we all know our Presidential votes don't mean shit.
You're*
Quote by Survivalism

Hmm you learn a new thing everyday.
Quote by ldl67
I was reading this, and I was wondering what the pit thought about lowering the voting age to 16.
Liberals say it's a good idea to lower voting age to 16

if liberals in Canada are the same as liberals in US politics, I can easily see why they think that would be a good idea.

liberals are VERY popular with teens.
but their popularity fades as the individuals get older.
with 16 y/o making up an additional segment of the electorate that would be highly likely to vote for the liberal candidates, this would be a winfall for their party.

dunno if it will happen in Canada, but in the US, it won't.
It would take more than a simple majority to change the voting age.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Survivalism

Second of all, half the people who can vote NOW shouldn't have that power.* There should be some sort of prerequisite exam when you register to vote.

*I'm talking locally, of course; we all know our Presidential votes don't mean shit.

Yay!

And I agree in the sense that half the people who vote now, do not make well informed decisions. I believe instead of everyone saying, "VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!" maybe they should actually help you make an informed decision on who to vote for....
sup?
No. Period, in every country. I know that I wouldn't have been fit to vote when I was sixteen.
horrible idea. MOST 16 year olds are too easily influenced w/o researching what they would vote for. i know i was
Quote by stilt37
horrible idea. MOST 16 year olds are too easily influenced w/o researching what they would vote for. i know i was

I think most people, generally, are that way.....
sup?
Sorry, 'liberals' think this is a good idea? Liberal here and I'm voting a world of no.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
I say yes. They (or the ones with jobs) are paying taxes and deserve to have a say in how their tax money is spent. Taxation without representation and whatnot.

/devil's advocate
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I lolled so hard. 16 years may not vote. Why? They don't have any responisbility. THey usually live at their parents and if the economy or something goes worse "parents will fix it".

Unless ur 16 live on urself with own income, and actually experience how economic issues and social issues affect you, then they are allowed to vote.

I mean what president or other government is chosen won't directly affect you. They probably will go like: oh if he gets president then gas price will rise and then i can't drive my car and go to random places anymore, so i better vote for the other. Or some shit like that.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I honestly think that it is ADEQUATE at 18, with emphasis on that terms, because, from my experience, most mid-teenagers have very uninformed and generalised points of view in associations with politics and are very suggestible in terms of absorbing what they hear, as in actually believing campaign maessages and hanging otno ridiculous and selfish reasonings for their 'political allegiances' or exhibit some trivial reason for supporting who they do, if they actualy have a reason. I know for a fact that if a 25 year old eligible bachelor entered politics, female voters under the age of 19 would vote for him becasue of his HOTZORZ BODS!!!

Then again, I know some 17 year olds who are more politically involved and informed than some adults who vote (don't believe me, see how many adults believe Obama is part of a terrorist organisation) and even, run for political positions (I won't mention any first names *cough* Palin). However, they are a minority, and I personally believe that most who vote are idiots regardless of age, so keep it at 18.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Nah, there aren't enough of us who'd have half a clue what they were voting for.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
At 16 most people haven't even finished their education, they don't think about the vast majority of political issues because they don't really affect them.

SO basically a massive freakin NAY!
May
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
i'm 17 and i don't agree with this.

everyone is too big of a jackass at the age of 16. this also applies to 18 year olds, too. there are people who would vote for obama because he's black and there are people who would vote mccain because they think he'll bomb the terrorists.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Liberals say it's a good idea to lower voting age to 16

if liberals in Canada are the same as liberals in US politics, I can easily see why they think that would be a good idea.

liberals are VERY popular with teens.
but their popularity fades as the individuals get older.
with 16 y/o making up an additional segment of the electorate that would be highly likely to vote for the liberal candidates, this would be a winfall for their party.

dunno if it will happen in Canada, but in the US, it won't.
It would take more than a simple majority to change the voting age.

Thanks for typing this. It would have been a lot of hassle if I were to do it myself.
the librals are just pissed because they lost, i support NDP
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
For the US.. You can't drink anything in a responsible manner till 21 but voting at 16?

Ashamed of it's youth?

For the UK.. I believe a voting age of 17 would be good.
Hell no
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

I don't really see why not. Adults can be just as ill-informed, biased and illogical as teenagers. Hell, George W. Bush was voted back into power AFTER the Iraq war.

Indeed, any teenager willing to take time off drinking and recreational drug use long enough to vote probably actually cares about something of real political importance. It could help breed a generation of people who aren't apathetic, self-centered ignoramouses.
No. As a matter of fact, I think all your rights need to be taken from you. I call for under age slavery. Who is with me?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 5