I am going to buy a bass and a bass amp today. How big does a bass amp have to be to play with a band? How many watts?
Quote by fleajr_1412
Check the FAQ.

I just did.
Nothing about how large the speaker or how many watts are needed to play with a band.
Depends on where your playing, who your playing with, what their gear is, what tone you want, and how much your willing to spend.
A 2x10 or 1x15 with 300w is more than enough. Nearly 95% of the time you'll be going through the P.A. so has long has you can hear your own stage sound (i.e. you can hear your amp on stage from 10ft. away) then that's loud enough. Why do you think guitarists do gigs to 20,000 people with a 1x12 30w valve amp?
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by Stan_da_man
A 2x10 or 1x15 with 300w is more than enough. Nearly 95% of the time you'll be going through the P.A. so has long has you can hear your own stage sound (i.e. you can hear your amp on stage from 10ft. away) then that's loud enough. Why do you think guitarists do gigs to 20,000 people with a 1x12 30w valve amp?

This guy isn't asking about amps for shows and stage use, that guitarist with the 30w valve doesn't use that for practice.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by coryklok
Does Size Matter?

ok
on topic, 200+ for jamming with a drummer, preferably 300.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by coryklok

Wow, I was thinking more around 65 or so.

AHHAAHAHAHAHA

What do you take us for... guitarists?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
What do you take us for... guitarists?

Oh that's right bass amps need to be really loud...even though it doesn't matter, since no one can hear you anyway.

AW DAMN
Quote by ChrisL120
Oh that's right bass amps need to be really loud...even though it doesn't matter, since no one can hear you anyway.

AW DAMN

Must... Not... Stoop... To.. Guitarist... Level...

that's just ignorant.

anyways... yes, 200-300 watts, and try it before you buy it.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by ChrisL120

AW DAMN

Let's not start a flame war here, I had my little joke, and I wasn't even slightly serious about it...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
So did I. I kinda feel bad for even saying anything, not like it was too big of an insult anyway.

Plus I know Bassist are actually vital to a band.
Quote by Stan_da_man

During band practice my guitarist uses an all-tube 4x10 60 watt Fender Deville .

To contribute to the thread: at least a 2x10 or 1x15 with 200 to 300 watts
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Well, I'm back from the store. I think I made a good purchase, though not quite 300 watts. It is an Eden Nemesis 1x12 120 watt silver series. Sounds nice with the Deltatone bass i bought with it.

Edit: links

Deltatone WEB825 (third one):

http://www.deltatone.net/Basses.html

Nemesis by Eden N12S Silver Series Bass Combo Amplifier (discontinued):

http://www.zzounds.com/item--NMSN12S
Last edited by coryklok at Nov 1, 2008,
I've got a 150ish Watt amp (it's a Laney RB4...) and that does well, audible over the drummer etc...
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
During band practice my guitarist uses an all-tube 4x10 60 watt Fender Deville .

To contribute to the thread: at least a 2x10 or 1x15 with 200 to 300 watts

A 60 watt tube?!
Why?

I play with an LD175 and i can barely hear myself, so 300 watts is more reasonable than 200.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
A 60 watt tube?!
Why?

I play with an LD175 and i can barely hear myself, so 300 watts is more reasonable than 200.
Well when we practice he dosen't have it cranked. He keeps it at a reasonable volume and has just TONS of headroom. This guy is deserving of such a good amp.(Seriously when he plays his Gibson SG, PRS, or Fender Strat on it's like God infused him with the skills of a pro) He's the best guitarist at our high shcool and his playing is phenomenal. I'm so glad he's in our(soon-to-be) band. If only we could find a decent singer and drummer.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93

Your guitarist is a noob then. 30w valve is way loud enough without P.A. and to get the best from an amp you buy a small 15w-ish amp and crank it. I swear guitarists ego's are bigger than there...

You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
It's not size that matters, it's girth.

You want to move the most air you can, and doing so requires more radiating surfaces. Like speakers!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
It's not size that matters, it's girth.

You want to move the most air you can, and doing so requires more radiating surfaces. Like speakers!

True 'dat (my god what did I just say)

You should have a competition with guitarists and ALWAYS be able to push more air, just so you can be all smug. Remember you're doing it right if you make things rumble and shake!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
2x10 are of little use on their own and are best used augmenting a single 15, start with a 4x10 or a single 15 eitheir you can add later but won't be too dissapointed in the meantime.
Remember you can turn a big rig down when you can't turn a small rig up because in most cases a small rig will usualy be running close to max anyway.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
2x10 are of little use on their own and are best used augmenting a single 15, start with a 4x10 or a single 15 eitheir you can add later but won't be too dissapointed in the meantime.
Remember you can turn a big rig down when you can't turn a small rig up because in most cases a small rig will usualy be running close to max anyway.

What is wrong with running with only 2x10? I am looking to be buying my first "jammable" amp *aka heard over drummer*, just wondering why 2x10 doesn't cut it.
A 115 pushes more air than a 210, and that's what it boils down to, really.

EDIT: Some people prefer a 210 to a 115 for it's transient response, which is a definite advantage, but then again, in the beloved Bass Player magazine, our resident Jackass Jonathan Herrera mentioned in a review how he used a 1x8 Genz Benz setup at a gig. So there you go.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 6, 2008,
^ This is because at a live venue your sound is amplified by the PA and shaped by the sound guy, so you could use a a string and can system on stage if you could hear yourself allright.

Plus there is always foldback.

I do a bit of mixing at some local gigs, and alot of bassist's eitehr dont have amps or don't bring them and I get them to sound fine.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
My 220W Crate is loud enough to be heard over drums and a 50W tube stack (Well, its 25/50 switchable, running at 25 and cranked) and I can hear but have NO headroom. Any higher than I have it and hello clipping. Gigs and such it does more than fantastic and for practices its good enough, so I'm happy with it.
I play in a band with 2 guitarist and 1 drummer, I play bass.
We play in the basement with concrete walls.

I have a Peavey Combo 115 (200W @ 4-ohm) along with Yamaha 2x10 (200W-ish)
And I can clearly hear myself standing about 5ft from it, and thats with it only 1/2 up.

Just get a 200-300W combo with either a 15 in or 4 10 in, and you should be set.
Quote by ZaccB
^ This is because at a live venue your sound is amplified by the PA and shaped by the sound guy, so you could use a a string and can system on stage if you could hear yourself allright.
Plus there is always foldback.
I do a bit of mixing at some local gigs, and alot of bassist's eitehr dont have amps or don't bring them and I get them to sound fine.

I can assure you that the vast majority of bands in the UK carry their own PA system which in most cases are not designed or capable of amplifying bass or drums, on the circuit that I play on only two venues had in house PA and both were useless.
To use foldback to amplify bass and drums you need at least 15+horns in the monitors.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Jamming with a drummer and two guitarists, my 180 watt Behringer does wonders. I need to have it relatively high, but a larger amp will give you more control over your volume.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Well, i posted a thread a few days ago because my bass had a fret buzz problem and couldn't be fixed. I got a new bass today. Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special, used. Amazing bass.