Page 1 of 2
I would like the last chord to be a minor, and not tooooo dissonant.

So far I have

Cminadd9addb14->Gminadd15

The Fmin sounds lame, as do all the other major chords in the key (Cmin Ive decided) sound lame too. Id like to use the Ddim at the end to get back into the Cmin.

Btw, its on piano, so if your wondering how Im making all these ridiculous chords, its cause its a piano
Last edited by rollininrhythm at Nov 1, 2008,
just use
D A Bm G

seriously though, i cant help.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by michal23
Isn't Cminadd9add14 just a Cm9?

And isn't Gminadd15 just Gm?
Almost. It would be CmM9. If you have C minor: C Eb G and add the 7, it's a natural 7, not a b7 so that would be CmM7 and when you put the 9 on top, it's CmM9

TS, I don't see how playing chords on a piano means you need to give them outrageous names.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Almost. It would be CmM9. If you have C minor: C Eb G and add the 7, it's a natural 7, not a b7 so that would be CmM7 and when you put the 9 on top, it's CmM9

TS, I don't see how playing chords on a piano means you need to give them outrageous names.

There not outrageous by any means. The first chord, if you want to think of it like that, a Cmin9. BUT I want the 7th above the 9th. It sounds extremely different to my ears, so Im spelling it as Im voicing it.

Same for the Gminadd15. Sounds far different then Gmin
Quote by rollininrhythm
There not outrageous by any means. The first chord, if you want to think of it like that, a Cmin9. BUT I want the 7th above the 9th. It sounds extremely different to my ears, so Im spelling it as Im voicing it.

CminorMajor9**

I still think it's weird. If you say something like Cmaj7, there's a million ways to play it. If you REALLY wanted to write it out so it's how you play it, wouldn't writing out the music be better?

Idk, some weird shit. I don't even know how I'd play it on guitar so I can't help you out.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
CminorMajor9**

I still think it's weird. If you say something like Cmaj7, there's a million ways to play it. If you REALLY wanted to write it out so it's how you play it, wouldn't writing out the music be better?

Idk, some weird shit. I don't even know how I'd play it on guitar so I can't help you out.

Yea, I would, except UG doesnt have notation software
Quote by rollininrhythm
Yea, I would, except UG doesnt have notation software

Funny, haha. You could write it on paper and scan it or take a picture of it or something since exactly how it's played is soo important (or is being a smartass too much more fun for you?).

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Funny, haha. You could write it on paper and scan it or take a picture of it or something since exactly how it's played is soo important (or is being a smartass too much more fun for you?).

Smartass?

Look man, Im just trying to give who ever actually helps as much info as I can to make it easier for them to answer the question.

I dont have a printer, Im ****ing broke.

Now either say something helpful or GTFO
Quote by rollininrhythm
Smartass?

Look man, Im just trying to give who ever actually helps as much info as I can to make it easier for them to answer the question.

I dont have a printer, Im ****ing broke.

Now either say something helpful or GTFO
You can't say your last post wasn't a smartass comment. I'm done arguing. Peace.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
You can't say your last post wasn't a smartass comment. I'm done arguing. Peace.

GTFO, thank you for your epic off topic
Quote by rollininrhythm

So far I have

The Fmin sounds lame, as do all the other major chords in the key (Cmin Ive decided) sound lame too. Id like to use the Ddim at the end to get back into the Cmin.

Btw, its on piano, so if your wondering how Im making all these ridiculous chords, its cause its a piano

a b14 = a m7.
Cm add 9 with a m7 is Cm9. It is not a minorMajor9. A minor major refers to a minor triad with a major 7th. A 9 is always major unless indicated otherwise.
your Cminadd9addb14? Cm9.

speaking of which, metal4all: when you see "7" in a chord, it is a minor 7th. G7? has F in it. It's only when it says major that it is a maj7. When in reference to a 14, he really shouldn't have used "b" but a major or minor, but he obviously has no idea to name chords.

add 15? so add the octave of G?

Cm9 to Gm.

if you don't know how to name chords, don't bother and please just give us the notes you're working with so I don't have to try figure it out just so I can say:
its either iv to i and you could do a circle ( Bb to Fm or something like that.).
you could do a lot of things, it depends onwhat you want to do. "epic" doesn't really give us an idea of what you're shooting for.
And try Gm. It seems entirely more logical to me. but its just me. try something in Gm. Try going to D7 or D9 (D F# A C with or without an E) and try doing a Bdiminished to go back into it.

and both of you guys are wrong. One of you doesn't know how to name chords, the other one is bickering about voicing's make things different but clearly doesn't realize that when you name chords in 'pop music' / chord sheets, you don't indicate voicings. hence why the act that you guys are actually arguing over this? does nothing.

Quote by rollininrhythm
GTFO, thank you for your epic off topic

dont tell people to GTFO. I'm not a mod anymore, but I'm pretty sure that isn't proper character.

Quote by rollininrhythm

in chord naming, it doesn't go that high. That's not how naming chords works.

Quote by metal4all
CminorMajor9**

if you cant help him out, why post? to piss him off?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Last edited by UtBDan at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by UtBDan
a b14 = a m7.
Cm add 9 with a m7 is Cm9. It is not a minorMajor9. A minor major refers to a minor triad with a major 7th. A 9 is always major unless indicated otherwise.

speaking of which, metal4all: when you see "7" in a chord, it is a minor 7th. G7? has F in it. It's only when it says major that it is a maj7. When in reference to a 14, he really shouldn't have used "b" but a major or minor, but he obviously has no idea to name chords.

Don't patronize me I didn't see the "b" *Deletes misinterpreted posts* I thought it was just "add14" which WOULD be adding a 7 to a minor triad which makes minMaj. I read it wrong. My apologies.

That and I didn't understand what the hell was with the names of the chords.

Blue text is teh pwnzorz

(the subtle irony being I didn't put that in blue text.

Edit: How come you're not blue anymore? No time for modding or just sick of doing it?

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by UtBDan
a b14 = a m7.

add 15? so add the octave of G?

Cm9 to Gm.

if you don't know how to name chords, don't bother and please just give us the notes you're working with so I don't have to try figure it out just so I can say:
its either iv to i and you could do a circle ( Bb to Fm or something like that.).
you could do a lot of things, it depends onwhat you want to do. "epic" doesn't really give us an idea of what you're shooting for.
And try Gm. It seems entirely more logical to me. but its just me. try something in Gm. Try going to D7 or D9 (D F# A C with or without an E) and try doing a Bdiminished to go back into it.

and both of you guys are wrong. One of you doesn't know how to name chords, the other one is bickering about voicing's make things different but clearly doesn't realize that when you name chords in 'pop music' / chord sheets, you don't indicate voicings. hence why the act that you guys are actually arguing over this? does nothing.

dont tell people to GTFO. I'm not a mod anymore, but I'm pretty sure that isn't proper character.

in chord naming, it doesn't go that high. That's not how naming chords works.

In practice you usually can name intervals in a chord up to the 15th. So it does go that high. And I still see no contribution here?

Oh! Nvm, I think I see your help. Thanks
Last edited by rollininrhythm at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by rollininrhythm

So far I have

How about a Gbbmin13+b27
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
How about a Gbbmin13+27

Cant it just be Fmin13add27? Or is there something going on that it has to be bb.
Quote by rollininrhythm
Cant it just be Fmin13add27? Or is there something going on that it has to be bb.

Well the bb makes the chord seem more complicated which makes the composer appear to be more sophisticated.

^ yeah, I'm just messin' with ya.

But seriously dude, the best thing you can do is use your ears and try to find the notes that sound right to you. It's an aural art, I think you will likely find the notes your looking for by listening for it rather than looking for chords with big complicated, impressive looking names.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by rollininrhythm

He's taking the piss
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well the bb makes the chord seem more complicated which makes the composer appear to be more sophisticated.

^ yeah, I'm just messin' with ya.

But seriously dude, the best thing you can do is use your ears and try to find the notes that sound right to you. It's an aural art, I think you will likely find the notes your looking for by listening for it rather than looking for chords with big complicated, impressive looking names.

I dont really care what its called, its just everything Ive tried sounds...cheesy
Quote by rollininrhythm
I dont really care what its called, its just everything Ive tried sounds...cheesy

Well the thing is, it's your song. Nobody else can really write it for you.

Maybe try taking a break from it and come back to it later.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Cm9 -> Gm -> B diminished (or Bdiminished 7) -> Cm

Don't make it harder than it has to be. Also, trying to make long chord names using "add" doesn't make you sound like a talented composer.

Im not trying to. Im just trying to give you the most precise voicing I can to make it easier.
Quote by rollininrhythm

Im not trying to. Im just trying to give you the most precise voicing I can to make it easier.

Yeah, that's what I thought you were trying to do to. You probably just need to spend some more time studying how to name chords. as far as which chord to use, that's an artistic issue, which can really only be answered by the artist. ( you in this case)
shred is gaudy music
Quote by one vision
Is there such thing as 6/Maj7 chords? Or would it be xMaj7add6?

I believe that would be a Maj13 chord.
shred is gaudy music
^Yeah, but I don't want to go through the trouble of stating the many omissions. Even though at least one omission is inevitable.

I was thinking TS could name the first chord off a major triad, Eb Major.

Eb G Bb C D

I guess EbMaj13 then, omitting the 9th and 11th which I don't think makes much sense.

It doesn't really work.. I'm just thinking out loud.

TS, maybe post a the voicing in tab or notation?
Quote by one vision
^Yeah, but I don't want to go through the trouble of stating the many omissions. Even though at least one omission is inevitable.

I was thinking TS could name the first chord off a major triad, Eb Major.

Eb G Bb C D

I guess EbMaj13 then, omitting the 9th and 11th which I don't think makes much sense.

It doesn't really work.. But yeah.

TS, maybe post a the voicing in tab or notation?

the first chord is just a Cmin9 (C Eb G Bb D)

Re: Major 13th chords:

omitting the 9th and 11th is common ( especially the 11th). There is no need to address this issue when naming the chord as it's generally understood.
shred is gaudy music
The spelling of the chords is as follows (also putting in OP)

C(1) Eb(b3) G(5) D(9) Bb(b14)

And G(1) Bb(b3) D(5) G(15)

The voicings are important to me, and I thought (especially on the Cm9) that if I didnt try to make it more clear, I wouldnt get as good an answer.

The melody is based off the highest intervals, so the first note of the melody is the b14 in the Cmin9
Quote by rollininrhythm
The spelling of the chords is as follows (also putting in OP)

C(1) Eb(b3) G(5) D(9) Bb(b14)

And G(1) Bb(b3) D(5) G(15)

The voicings are important to me, and I thought (especially on the Cm9) that if I didnt try to make it more clear, I wouldnt get as good an answer.

The melody is based off the highest intervals, so the first note of the melody is the b14 in the Cmin9

Bb = b7

"15" is just the root.

What you did was actually make it more confusing since no chords are ever labeled with a "b14" or "15"

No big deal, but I would suggest spending more time learning how to name chords.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Bb = b7

"15" is just the root.

What you did was actually make it more confusing since no chords are ever labeled with a "b14" or "15"

No big deal, but I would suggest spending more time learning how to name chords.

Okay, but that doesnt help figure out what chord comes next
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gmadd15 basically just a regular open Gm chord?

As far as the opening chord, the only way I've found to voice it is:

E|--6--
B|--3--
G|--0--
D|--1--
A|--3--
E|-----

Which I can only play if the chord is played two handed (Bb is played with right hand)
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Nov 2, 2008,
Quote by one vision
Doesn't matter anymore, does it

I guess not lol. Cool sounding chord though.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by metal4all
Blue text is teh pwnzorz

(the subtle irony being I didn't put that in blue text.

Edit: How come you're not blue anymore? No time for modding or just sick of doing it?

I felt I wasnt doing a very good job anymore, so I stepped down under my own free will out of respect for the work I once did and the team that currently is it at the helm.

this guy was banned, idk if it was for this, but it was rightfully so. He was either talking the piss, or beyond being helped.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
i personally would end in some kind of dminor
but thats just cause i wrote something on piano a while ago
that ended in d minor

also
UtBdan is not a mod anymore?
this is the first ive seen of him since i last visited the FOTB
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Quote by UtBDan
I felt I wasnt doing a very good job anymore, so I stepped down under my own free will out of respect for the work I once did and the team that currently is it at the helm.

this guy was banned, idk if it was for this, but it was rightfully so. He was either talking the piss, or beyond being helped.

This guy was the same nut who kept insisting that that one piece was in C major, when it was 100% Am.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by rollininrhythm

So far I have

add14? add15? seriously? the "14th" degree of a scale is the seventh, and the "15th" is the tonic.
Page 1 of 2