Hi.. as you may know.. im from Singapore..

BUT, i want to study in the USA..well actually i am going to

so now im graduating from high school, and am taking my GCE o lvl,high sch leaving exams ( similar to gcse..)

Its likely i'll study art and design, those courses dont require standardized tests from international students.

But in the case i decide to study at other colleges, should i take the SATs? or the ACT with writing?

I would be likely to take SAT subject courses, cos the literature test is so damn easy lol
I had to do the SAT's when I was studying in America. No clue about the ACTs...
WTLTL 2011
Take both of them....

Its really depends where you are. Here in the west colleges like to see the SAT. But I think in the Midwest and East colleges like the ACT. But take both.
Quote by aaronob
Take both of them....

Its really depends where you are. Here in the west colleges like to see the SAT. But I think in the Midwest and East colleges like the ACT. But take both.

this man speaks the truth.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by aaronob
Take both of them....

yea, i live in ohio, and most colleges here in the midwest and east like the ACT, thats wat i took, but if ur gong in the west take the SAT
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by aaronob
Take both of them....

No...eastern colleges are all about the SAT's... Everyone here takes the SAT's hardly anyone takes the aCT
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
If you wanna go to an elite college in the US (Harvard, Stanford, etc), definitely take the SAT but not ACT. The best colleges take the SAT and they know its harder so taking the ACT would be a waste of time.
But if you're just planning on going to any old university, I'd suggest taking both.
Quote by The Spoon
I wish my girlfriend was a hungry man
Quote by aaronob
Take both of them....

Eastern colleges generally prefer the SAT.
Saying one is easier than the other is inaccurate, it varies by person. Take both and send them both scores, most colleges will evaluate the one that hows you in a better light. On that note, take at least one of them twice. Virtually every college in the US utilizes the so-called "superscore", meaning that they take your best scores in each category and merge them into an overall high score, then use that in admissions decisions.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Nov 1, 2008,
Im in high school right now getting out next year they made us take the PSAT which is basically a practice exam for the SAT and being from the east coast and them making us take the PSAT Im thinking that more collages around here want to see the SAT now but idk for sure
Yeah people who say eastern colleges want the ACT are plain wrong, more midwestern colleges take the ACT
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
All the schools I've looked into accept both. I hear the SAT has easier math, so if math isn't your strong point, I would do that.
I'm in the east (DC area) and SATs are much more prominent around here. I thought ACTS were more out west but judging by the replies from other UGers, they seem to be more in the Midwest.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Midwest colleges take the ACT. On the coasts its SAT. The ACT consists mainly of your literacy skills, if you can read well you should do fine because 3 of the required 4 sections are based in reading. The math section isnt too hard, just bring a calculator.
Keep in mind many scores superscore the SAT but no one superscores the ACT. If you are only taking it once, it doesn't really matter.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
ok so most people say take the SATs if your are going east..

and take both to get the best score..

and take your best one twice for the "superscore"

ok...