I am wondering where the term axe came from for guitars and such.... I know its widely used but I feel like a history lesson.
Lumber jacks = axe weilding maniacs
Lumber jacks then found out that chopping stuff was too much like hard work, so they turned their fallen trees into a nice guitar, which they weilded all the time, and occasionally used to slaughter people.
Lumberjacks are now known as guitarists
and people who love chopping stuff are now known as tree surgeons.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
perhaps vikings?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Saoxphone players referred to the Saxophone as their 'axe' before the term was used for the guitar. Unfortunately I don't know any more.
Quote by ehlert99
I am wondering where the term axe came from for guitars and such.... I know its widely used but I feel like a history lesson.

Quote by axemanchris

CT

^ LOL there you go
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 2, 2008,
Quote by michal23
Saoxphone players referred to the Saxophone as their 'axe' before the term was used for the guitar. Unfortunately I don't know any more.
Never heard that one and I hang out with a few sax players. For some reason, they like to call it a horn o_0.

I think the term axe came from the 80's when guitarists had this weird dungeons and dragons and warriors fetish and liked to brandish weapons on stage. I guess they felt their guitar was a weapon (once again, pot+hair metal guys with fetish=?) and what weapon does a guitar look most like? An axe.

Just my two cents.