I recently got a Tele body, and I'm trying to sand down an old strat copy neck I have lying around, it was the complete wrong shape so I'm still working on making it fit. The neck is now straight on the body, but the overlay is alot higher then the guitar, so should I sand down the neck so the overlay will be on the guitar body?

Hope that made sense.

My Michael Bation Tradition Series Signature is like that. No problems so far...
Quote by NemX162
My Michael Bation Tradition Series Signature is like that. No problems so far...

Could I get a pic please?

Also, most pics on google don't have the overhang, so would it be better sanding the overhang down?
As long as the action of the fretboard works with the bridge your using its fine,

check out the tongue on this guitar...

http://mikrovisions.com/revolution/revo6.jpg

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
As long as the action of the fretboard works with the bridge your using its fine,

check out the tongue on this guitar...

http://mikrovisions.com/revolution/revo6.jpg

The action higher up the neck on that thing looks horrible.

I just realised something though; once I've fitted a pickguard then the overhang isn't gonna look quite as high from the guitar... I'm just worried about if the bridge I will order is gonna work with it. I guess the only way to know is to buy the parts and find out.
You dont want the fret board flush to the body as the strings would be way to close to the body then. Maybe even to low that the bridge wont adjust low enough for a decent action. And you do have to factor in the picguard. Before you get to carried away you need to see if you have the scale length right. The saddles on a strat will only adjust so much.
Quote by Tackleberry
You dont want the fret board flush to the body as the strings would be way to close to the body then. Maybe even to low that the bridge wont adjust low enough for a decent action. And you do have to factor in the picguard. Before you get to carried away you need to see if you have the scale length right. The saddles on a strat will only adjust so much.

How do I check the scale length?

I can't test the action as I don't have any parts for it, and it's a tele not a strat.

To the guy above that, I don't see how I would have damaged the intonation as all I have done is rounded the edges of the neck slightly, I haven't changed how long the neck is or anything.

What's the best way to fill in the holes on the guitar neck so I can drill new ones? I thought tooth picks and glue but I've been told that's bad and that I should use plastic wood to fill it.
you can test the action just fine, get yourself a small 6'' ruler, measure how high up the saddles are (only at their half-way point, not all he way up or down), then you know how far the neck needs to go into the pocket, youve taken algebra right?
Quote by jscustomguitars
Measure from the nut to the 12th fret then multiply it by 2 and thats the scale length.

It measures in at around 24 inches. Good or bad?

Edit

Quote by LP Addict
you can test the action just fine, get yourself a small 6'' ruler, measure how high up the saddles are (only at their half-way point, not all he way up or down), then you know how far the neck needs to go into the pocket, youve taken algebra right?

Don't have a bridge yet, as I've said many times..

Thanks anyway
Quote by dandadog
It measures in at around 24 inches. Good or bad?

Around 24 inches is about right. Fender use 25.5 inches scale length for the strat/tele and a few others. If I was you I'd measure it exactly

And strat necks fit fine in tele neck pockets- with no intonation isssues (if they are both the same scale length)
Quote by supergerbil
Around 24 inches is about right. Fender use 25.5 inches scale length for the strat/tele and a few others. If I was you I'd measure it exactly

And strat necks fit fine in tele neck pockets- with no intonation isssues (if they are both the same scale length)

Well this is a strat copy neck not a real strat, just to clarify, I measure it from the side of the nut where it meets the start of the fretboard to the fret bar between 11 and 12 yes?
No, down the centre of the neck to the fret at 12- where you play the harmonic.
Quote by supergerbil
No, down the centre of the neck to the fret at 12- where you play the harmonic.

Ah, that brings it up to just slightly under 25.5"..

Edit..

Does anybody have any advice about filling the holes on the neck? They're in the wrong place for the body..
Last edited by dandadog at Nov 1, 2008,
25.5 is Tele/Strat scale lenth......should be fine.

Use wood filler!!
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
Guys, I'm looking at the parts on guitarfetish, the only tele necks they have are 21 frets, but they say they fit a tele. Would the lack of a 22nd fret throw the scale length off?
Last edited by dandadog at Nov 1, 2008,
i'm no pro, but a 22nd fret shouldn't throw the scale length off, as long as the scale length is the same....it just that you wouldn't have a 22nd fret...
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by clayonfire
i'm no pro, but a 22nd fret shouldn't throw the scale length off, as long as the scale length is the same....it just that you wouldn't have a 22nd fret...

That's what I thought, I would just like to know from people here.

Does it matter what kind of pots I buy? Would 2 250k alpha pots do the trick?
Yes for the pots.

No for the guitar fetish neck.

Mine was terribly warped and had a scale length different than what they said it would.

A 22nd fret is fine, just make sure the neck is the right scale length.

Nut - 12th fret and 12th fret - saddles MUST be the same for proper intonation.

That is where the right neck length and where you mount it really count.

To fill the holes, use dowels or toothpicks and wood glue. Wood filler isn't very strong, and it's more for gouges and stuff.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.