Alright I've been using amplitube 2 for awhile to record in Cubase but I'm not too thrilled with the sounds of it. My JCM 900 sounds a million times better.

Probably a dumb question, but is mic'ing the cab the only thing I can do or is there some way to connect the head to my interface and record? Or will that just blow everything up?
if the head has a line out, then you could use that, if its just speaker outputs then no.

what kind of monitors are you using?
thats something to bear in mind when using amp-sims,

before i got monitors i used to think that Guitar Rig and Amplitube sounded like crap, until i realised that it was my crappy headphones that were the problem
Miking will bring out the best results. But if there's only a speaker out, then a special DI box like the Radial JDX or the Behringer GI-100 can capture the tone (assuming the head's connected to the cab). Either of Tapco's direct boxes could work in a pinch.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by TheDriller
if the head has a line out, then you could use that, if its just speaker outputs then no.

what kind of monitors are you using?
thats something to bear in mind when using amp-sims,

before i got monitors i used to think that Guitar Rig and Amplitube sounded like crap, until i realised that it was my crappy headphones that were the problem

wat. You mean the computer monitor, or speakers? I'm using kinda crappy headphones but they play music well so I don't think it's the reason amplitube doesn't sound good to me.

Also, any amp you can just connect from the line out to the line in of an audio interface? It doesn't matter what the volts or anything are?

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Miking will bring out the best results. But if there's only a speaker out, then a special DI box like the Radial JDX or the Behringer GI-100 can capture the tone (assuming the head's connected to the cab). Either of Tapco's direct boxes could work in a pinch.

I took a look at the Radial JDX and I'm not really getting what these boxes do. So it goes from the head to the box to the cab and the box goes to the computer? And that will give the sound of how the sound is coming out of the cab?
Last edited by Leonheart at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by Leonheart

Also, any amp you can just connect from the line out to the line in of an audio interface? It doesn't matter what the volts or anything are?

If it's a line-out, then it's low-enough voltage to not fry stuff.

Quote by Leonheart

I took a look at the Radial JDX and I'm not really getting what these boxes do. So it goes from the head to the box to the cab and the box goes to the computer? And that will give the sound of how the sound is coming out of the cab?

Well, it's the sound of the head, but yeah, you've got it right. The website has nice diagrams that show you how to hook it up.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
JCM 900 is a tube amp, very rarely, if at all, do tube amp heads have a line out for running things like interfaces.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
^ There's quite a lot of tube amps that have a pre amp out, which is a line level output.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Leonheart
wat. You mean the computer monitor, or speakers? I'm using kinda crappy headphones but they play music well so I don't think it's the reason amplitube doesn't sound good to me.

trust me, crappy headphones will make all recordings, and amp sims, sound worse than they are. crappy headphones cant reproduce the signal properly, in my case the tone sounded mushy, and really fuzzy with no definition. the day my monitors arrived i plugged them in, got everything set up and opened up one of my Reaper projects that i was working on. i was bown away by the significant improvement in the amp-sim guitar tone, as well as how everything just sounded better anyway. then plugged in the crappy headphones to check again,

still sounded aweful on the headphones, but pretty good on the monitors.

just my 2 cents
Quote by TheDriller
trust me, crappy headphones will make all recordings, and amp sims, sound worse than they are. crappy headphones cant reproduce the signal properly, in my case the tone sounded mushy, and really fuzzy with no definition. the day my monitors arrived i plugged them in, got everything set up and opened up one of my Reaper projects that i was working on. i was bown away by the significant improvement in the amp-sim guitar tone, as well as how everything just sounded better anyway. then plugged in the crappy headphones to check again,

still sounded aweful on the headphones, but pretty good on the monitors.

just my 2 cents

Basically, this.

What headphones are they?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)