Poll: Lessons, do we need them?
Poll Options
View poll results: Lessons, do we need them?
Yes, thy help tremendously
81 47%
no, you can teach yourself or get help from friends
57 33%
indifferent
36 21%
Voters: 174.
Page 1 of 2
What do you think about lessons and if its possibe to be great without them.
Depends, guitar lessons?, you can still bypass them and become "great" without them.
-->But it really helps.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
i never took lesons, but i wish i had, i could have learned guitar a lot faster
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Depends, i develop greater by myself, as im no good at being teached stuff.
...What!?
i'm kinda thinking about taking lessons, even though i'm not a beginner. i just want to find out about different styles and stuff that i don't know about.
Quote by Ergin
Depends, i develop greater by myself, as im no good at being teached stuff.

Taught......

See, we are learning already!!!
I'm glad i had a good teacher when i started and wouldn't have learned guitar as fast as i did now

But it just helps , some of the best guitarist never had real teachers.
Gear:
1991 Gibson Flying V
Roland Cube 20X
Ofcourse u need lessons. The internet helps, but you all must be born with the talent to know when ur making errors.

And to the "some of the best guitarist didn't had lessons" comment. When they record an album they have a producer who helps them guide how to play what. + studio guitarists who help out and studio magic, editing etc.

Check out half of youtube who think they can play guitar and sound shit. No teacher to tell you ur mistakes will result in u learing ur mistakes in stead of "of learning ur mistakes"

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by maggot9779
Taught......

See, we are learning already!!!

Thanks you're my hero, i can finally spell.
...What!?
i don't think lessons are required but i'd strongly recommend them to someone who wants to learn. it makes the learning process easier and faster in my opinion so it would also make a person more motivated.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Ofcourse u need lessons. The internet helps, but you all must be born with the talent to know when ur making errors.

And to the some of the best guitarist comments. When they record an album they have a producer who helps them guide how to play what. + studio guitarists who help out and studio magic, editing etc.

You don't NEED to have lessons. You can develope your own way of playing and work things out for yourself, sure, it's not as fast, but you get there.
No on the lessons. I went self-taught for a few years then tried teachers to make sure I had developed no bad habits. I blew threw a handful of teachers that were worthless and taught me straight out of a book that I had to buy and bring. What kinda shit is that? So, I'm just speaking out of bad experiences with shitty teachers.
Guitar Player Since April 12th, 2005.
Guitar of Choice: Schecter S-1 Elite
Proud of His Two Warnings
ive learned guitar twice as fast with lessons :tu
I'm an "08er". You Mad?
If you get a good teacher then yeah I guess they're helpful, I had a year of lessons with one teacher and I had no progress at all so we just finished that, £23 a week to learn the fricking simpsons theme tune...
There is no need for lessons, if you like figuring stuff out the hard way, or all by yourself.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Ive had maybe two lessons by my older brother and he taught me a few songs to get me started. Im basicly self taught though. and 4 years later im playing dream theater and Iron Maiden.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Lessons are ****ing invaluable. I took em for a year and a half when I first started out. My guitar teacher kicked my ass to learn theory and why things work the way they do. At the same time though. It seems every guitarist I play with has no Idea what I'm talking about when I ask them to just improvise in D.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by metaldud536
I use TM's and HM's

damn i wish i was japanese
equipment
guitars:
lefty fender tele standard ,
lefty tanglewood electro-acoustic
usa gibson flying v (flipped for lefty)
castrol oil can single coil electric
amp
vox ad50vt
pedals
dunlop crybaby wah
mxr blue box

go on ireland!
Hmmm okey fair enough. Too everyone who is totally self taught. Record some guitar which u think u can play 100% with no errors. If u play it flawless (good dynamics, rhythm, notes, timing) etc.

Then I will shut the **** up. Otherwise i still think u need some sort of a coach or and outside source too guide you.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
you can be great without them, but they can help, there are a lot of factors (how you learn best, what kind of teacher you have etc.) that determine this sort of thing.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Hmmm okey fair enough. Too everyone who is totally self taught. Record some guitar which u think u can play 100% with no errors. If u play it flawless (good dynamics, rhythm, notes, timing) etc.

Then I will shut the **** up. Otherwise i still think u need some sort of a coach or and outside source too guide you.

how do you determine if something is played flawlessly? I'm a guitar player not a CP player, and it's impossible to immitate all of the naunces of someone else playing. I can play all the stuff I've written flawlessly though, because I wrote it for myself beased on my naunces.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 1, 2008,
ive played for 2 years goin on 3 self taught, but had some guideance from my skool music teachers in improv and new techniques. I could prob use some lessons but get along great without them
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you can be great without them, but they can help, there are a lot of factors (how you learn best, what kind of teacher you have etc.) that determine this sort of thing.

how do you determine if something is played flawlessly? I'm a guitar player not a CP player, and it's impossible to immitate all of the naunces of someone else playing. I can play all the stuff I've written flawlessly though, because I wrote it for myself beased on my naunces.

Well for example learn the essence of stuff. Most stuff i hear on the internet by guitarists lack an essence. A teacher or coach will guide u on how ur stuff will translate better to people. Alot of times ur head sunbconsiously adds thing that really aren't there. And unless people get in ur head, they won't hear it.

Without an outside source, u can't shut off ur emotions. Example: IF u feel in love and play a lead u can think it's the best there is, but this is influenced by ur emotion. Alot of times people write stuff and love it, and a month later they totally hate it.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I took lessons on and off. I just learned differently with them.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

Don't you listen to anybody's MP3s? You'll find that recording you're after pretty sharpish I reckon. There are a lot of excellent taught AND self-taught guitarists here.

And for what it's worth, I bet they can type better than you.
I've never had a guitar lesson because I can't afford them to be honest .. But I think I'm doing alright for no one with lessons.. Although I do progress a hell of a lot slower..
Quote by Vermintide
Don't you listen to anybody's MP3s? You'll find that recording you're after pretty sharpish I reckon. There are a lot of excellent taught AND self-taught guitarists here.

And for what it's worth, I bet they can type better than you.

I know they can type better. You try too write a quarter of what I can write in english in dutch, since i'm from the netherlands.

IF you really wanna take it on.

I'm a self taught typer i don't need typing lessons, I can do without em.

Seriously i don't wanna start a kiddie debate.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Well for example learn the essence of stuff. Most stuff i hear on the internet by guitarists lack an essence. A teacher or coach will guide u on how ur stuff will translate better to people. Alot of times ur head sunbconsiously adds thing that really aren't there. And unless people get in ur head, they won't hear it.

Without an outside source, u can't shut off ur emotions. Example: IF u feel in love and play a lead u can think it's the best there is, but this is influenced by ur emotion. Alot of times people write stuff and love it, and a month later they totally hate it.

that happens to everyone self-taugt or not, the thing with the internet is that someone can record something and have it up 5 minutes later, whereas records take awhile to be released so pros can go back and get rid of stuff later, plus they also have a producer and whatnot to give them an outside reference.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that happens to everyone self-taugt or not, the thing with the internet is that someone can record something and have it up 5 minutes later, whereas records take awhile to be released so pros can go back and get rid of stuff later, plus they also have a producer and whatnot to give them an outside reference.

That's what i said in my first post on this topic.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
You don't NEED lessons to become a good guitar player... but if you have a good teacher, they're always a big help.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
That's what i said in my first post on this topic.

yeah but the point is, you don't need a teacher for this, just someone whos willing to listen to what you are doing.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah but the point is, you don't need a teacher for this, just someone whos willing to listen to what you are doing.

Hmmm yes I think what's unclear. A (imo) good guitar teacher learns someone how to learn. So they eventually are enough of an "asshole" to recognize their own mistakes. A good teacher learns you to set a good link between ur feelings and how too translate it to guitar. Like a producer sets the link between the music and how it will be received by the listener.

But I think the topic is a bit unclear; I mean a good internet guitar lesson is better then a bad guitar teacher and the other way around. It really depends.

The topic states lessons. But something as easy as a friend who says that a song of urs sounds sweet, can result in you writing more in that style and developing ur own guitarstyle can essentially be seen as a lesson.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Hmmm yes I think what's unclear. A (imo) good guitar teacher learns someone how to learn. So they eventually are enough of an "asshole" to recognize their own mistakes. A good teacher learns you to set a good link between ur feelings and how too translate it to guitar. Like a producer sets the link between the music and how it will be received by the listener.

But I think the topic is a bit unclear; I mean a good internet guitar lesson is better then a bad guitar teacher and the other way around. It really depends.

I don't really have a problem recognizing my own mistakes, and I've never had a guitar lesson in my life, I know plenty of people who've had lessons and put out total crap all the time before they realize how bad it is, it's down to the individual, not whether or not they've had lessons.

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2