I've been playing for about 7 years now with the same setup.

I have a Peavey Transtube 212efx amplifier and a Peavey Raptor Plus Guitar

I've been thinking seriously about upgrading equipment. But I don't know what to get first.

I'll probably save up around $500-700 for either a new amplifier or a new guitar.

Is their anything I should keep in mind when making the decision? Is it better to have a great guitar or a great amp?

If it matters I usually play either metal or grunge/rock
great amp is always better
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Guitar. Peavey makes much better amps than guitars. The transtube is not half bad.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
even the best guitar will sound awful through a bad amp.

But a good amp can make a poor guitar sound pretty good, not as good as say, a great guitar coupled with a great amp and good technique, but still.

Just keep that in mind.
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
Quote by Ghold125
what kind of metal do you play?

Mostly Melodeath and some thrash

Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, The Duskfall, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy
Sepultura, Opeth, to name a few

I also play a lot of Tool, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, The Porcupine Tree stuff like that.

I've heard good things about the transtube that I have. To be honest I like the idea of getting a new guitar more than a new amp but I just want to know what's going to sound better.
A good tube amp is unforgiving though. If you have a meh guitar through a good, responsive amp, it's going to sound like a meh guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
A good tube amp is unforgiving though. If you have a meh guitar through a good, responsive amp, it's going to sound like a meh guitar.

I totally disagree, the guitar doesn't play that big of a role. Sure, a great amp won't be used to it's full potential with a bad guitar, but it will still sound good. Of course if you're playing a guitar with absolutely terrible pups or you're using single coils for metal it might notwork.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I checked the amp reviews on this site on the Peavey 212 is ranked a lot higher than I would have thought. It doesn't have a lot of heavy distortion but I have a DH7 Distortion Factory pedal that I love to take care of that.

I'm thinking if I get a nice ESP with some good pickups that might be the best way to go.

Any other thoughts?