i plan on wiring some new pick ups into a home made guitar so i was looking in the wiring cavity on my bought guitar and noticed some rough kind of dark grey paint stuff lining the inside of it. so now im wondering what that stuff is and if it needs to be there when i do my own wiring?
Its shielding paint, helps reduce noise and radio signals. And yes, you should leave it in there.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Its shielding paint, helps reduce noise and radio signals. And yes, you should leave it in there.

^^ exactly right dont paint over it either

you could start picking up radio frequencies also without that stuff
that emf-blocker paint is really expensive, so when your building your own guitar i suggest just getting foil tape from radio-shack and using that. there isnt any magic to the paint, just that it has a high metallic content to it that sheilds from emf interferance. to be perfectly honest, gluing in a lining of aluminum foil is just as effective as the 40-dollar-a-half-pint paint, but the foil tape is like 2 bucks a roll and will last fro about 50 guitars and/or pedals so i would (and do) just go with that
Quote by ncvamp10
that emf-blocker paint is really expensive, so when your building your own guitar i suggest just getting foil tape from radio-shack and using that. there isnt any magic to the paint, just that it has a high metallic content to it that sheilds from emf interferance. to be perfectly honest, gluing in a lining of aluminum foil is just as effective as the 40-dollar-a-half-pint paint, but the foil tape is like 2 bucks a roll and will last fro about 50 guitars and/or pedals so i would (and do) just go with that

This is very true. However, if the paint is already in the guitar you're doing, there is no need to put foil in as well. Just dont remove it or paint over it. If you end up feeling the need to paint your guitar, just line the cavities in masking tape and remove it after painting.
Quote by Floyd_Dropper
if it needs to be there when i do my own wiring?

You need to sheild all passive pup circuits.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
All that paint does is keep out RF. It does nothing to stop hum.

And it's not EMF sheilding either. Lord... EMF means Electromagnetic Frequencies. It does nothing for that either, and it isn't even an issue with guitars anyway.
SO GLAD i read this thread
im repainting a shit bronze series mockingbird tomorow
wouldve made a no-no
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.