Does the bass factor in or is it more of an amp settings thing? I'd rather here more boom than to hear the note plucked.
i think it's more amp settings, try taking out more mids and boost the lows on top of bringing down the highs a little bit. and you can also obviously play around with your tone settings on your bass to get that right tone
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
you can also try just cranking the gain and volume way up and simply tapping lightly on the string instead of doing an actual pluck, easy on the fingers, great for speed, and theres no pull-off sound involved, just takes some practice to get the touch just right
Quote by IndianRockStar
Its also a lot in the playing style. If you play hard you'll twang easier than if you play quiet as a fetus.

quiet as a fetus.
I think it depends a lot on the pickups too. A humbucker will be thuddier and a single coil twangier
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
Mostly its playing style, and eq, however I know some amps have a shape control that puts a filter on the eq, so that you can adjust to taste. Also, turning the volume or tone down on the bass might get a more boomy tone.

Its a lot harder to get a boomy tone when playing with a pick also.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Go to a music store, plug in an Alembic and then a Thunderbird and you'll have your answer.
Quote by TormentedRx
Depends a lot on if your playing by the neck, the bridge, or in the middle.

Stole the words out of my mouth. While other things do influence it, the quickest way to swap between the two is to change where you pluck.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have to be very liberal with the bass to not twang too much. and I kiss the bridge.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom