Page 1 of 2
Most of my friends who play guitar always state that their dream guitar is a PRS guitar. Ive never understood the appeal of a PRS guitar since ive played on one before and it never really blew me away.
So what do you think of PRS's? Do You Like them or like me don't see what all the fuss is about.
oh and whats your dream guitar? and if you have it state what it is.
Meh, personal preferences and whatnot. If you're a metalhead, you probably won't like them (not saying you are). However, I think they are a great middleground between a strat and Les Paul, and I can definitely see the appeal of them.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
You don't see anything special about them because you've only played one PRS guitar, duh. They're very well made.

My dream guitar is a vintage SG, I guess, but my Carvin DC727 is everything I could ever want in a guitar.
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
Quote by Iron_Dude
Meh, personal preferences and whatnot. If you're a metalhead, you probably won't like them (not saying you are). However, I think they are a great middleground between a strat and Les Paul, and I can definitely see the appeal of them.

Opeth and Between The Buried And me get on pretty well with PRS.
I agree...i never saw the big deal with PRS guitars...ive played them too and its nothing really special (btw im nowhere near a metalhead haha)

as dream guitars go, id want a parker fly deluxe in white with blue fade....most versatile and beautiful guitars ever (if u dont like the style i understand....most dont lol)
prs is imho opinion the next gibson,but better..they're just so nice..and fro a dream guitar,prob a esp ltd desingener guitar
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by milfeh

I stand corrected.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I think PRS has the Les Paul syndrome. Everyone knows that they are great guitars, so they will arbitrarily pay lots of money for them. They're all repuation. Not saying they're bad guitars, but a company with a reputation for having good guitars can charge more for the sake of the reputation alone.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I own an Ibanez Jem 7vwh (vai signature) and that is all i could ever want from a Floyd style trem guitar.

Howver i have long been attracted and in the mindset that i am definitly buying a prs when i can afford to get a new stoptail guitar.

I just honestly do not think theres any nicer stoptail guitars out there than the prs guitars, pure quality.

-Solid build
-Great feel (For many of the models, but not all suit me of course)
-Top choice of materials for standard off the shelf instruments (not custom)
-Most of them are versatile (The custom 22/24 is just a blur of different tones)
-Aesthetics are superior to most guitars
-With great attributes, they are still simple
-A big-time-Small-Shop attitude
ive never played one.
but i also have never liked the of them either.
the headstock is alright, but i prefer the look of the schecters.
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
as far as looks go they are some of the nicest guitars ive ever seen.

But ive played the tremonti model and cheap SEs and they were pretty shitty IMO

ive never played the expensive ones though so i cant say about them, Im sure they are an orgasm to play

I love the see-thru blue mapletop PRS, forgot the model name lol, and the paul allender sig is cool too.
Well they look beautiful, and the attention to detail and quality is apparently really high as well but honestly I think they are just too much of a name brand. I originally wanted one because Brad Delson uses one but now, its a case of "do not want".
They're just so solid. PRS sell guitars that are so much better in everything than most companies.

It's what Gibson should be.
Quote by milfeh

funeral for a friend
cradle of filth
drowning pool
daath
anthrax
primus.....

personally..prs are the best playing, looking and sounding guitars out there in my opinion.
but, theyre very expensive and dont have the greatest of all features.
IF i had the money..i'd play them solely (bar my ibanez 7 strings)...but i dont.
so ibanez is the best next thing in my opinion.

some people like fenders, some prs, some dont even care.
its all what you love best - and everyone i know who ha played a well setup prs has loved the hell out of it
PRS makes excellent guitars. If we ignore pricing, the PRS 513 is one of the best guitars ever crafted, IMO. Singlecuts, Custom 22s and Custom 24s, Hollowbodies, all play and sound very nice. They're also - aside from custom builders - pretty much the only maker that can make a purple quilted maple top look good. They're solidly constructed and made from upper-tier materials.

However, if I had the option now, I would not have bought my PRS. I would have gone for something else. My dream guitar would be a customized Gibbo V, I detailed it pretty well in one of the dream guitar threads.

Also, obligatory budget line trashing.*

(*The SE series is by no means bad, but questionably priced.)
Quote by godofshred
oh..and

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
:drool:
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I'm a huge metalhead, but I love PRS guitars alot.I don't see why can't metal players play PRS guitars.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
UG seems consist mostly of metalheads. metalheads tend to like esp, jackson, schecter and ibanez. prs guitars do great metal but they are very different to the guitars that most metalheads use. this is probably why there are so many people on UG saying that prs guitars are overrated. they are looking for an ibanez or a jackson in something that clearly isnt. (not a bad thing but its just personal preferences)

more on topic: i am getting a prs guitar and i love it because it is close to perfect for me in every way. The wide thin neck is perfect to my hands. The dragon II pickups cover all the music i play. The general sound is rich and sustains very well. i also LOVE the way they look.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Nov 2, 2008,

^What god would be if he were a guitar rather than a guitarist.

Personally I think their beautiful instruments with great tone and versatility, except for the pricetag I don't see how you can lose with a PRS myself.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
i'm not at all a fan of the way PRS guitars sound, feel, play, or the shapes they come in.

but damn are they pretty.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I personally don't care for their shape but they are good looking and sound nice. And i'm sure they feel great.
I had an SE for a couple of days. If it hadn't been for the horrid pickups I'd still own it and be playing it.

Very playable guitars.
Having played all the cheapo PRSs, as well as owning one , i can say that the SE range can't be beaten in the price bracket. It blows all of the others out of the water in terms of sound, quality and feel. It helps if you get on with the big wide-fat necks, but if you like the looks too then you're pretty much onto a winner here. Obviously this is opinion, but i havent found anything better in the price range (other than a better PRS for a little more :P).
My two cents =]
-Gear-
Ibanez SR-500
Epiphone EJ-200
PRS SE EG (SSH version)
Ashdown Perfect Ten 30w
Ashdown ABM500 Evo II

Based in Birmingham, available for any bass work.
MSN or email narcolepsy_patrol@hotmail.co.uk
The ones that are currently being made are nice guitars. If they're worth the money - I don't think so. If you can live without a flametop and bird inlays, you can get a superior guitar for the money a PRS costs. I've heard that their private stock guitars are absolutely excellent, but I've never played one so far. And anyway, I'm not paying 10000€ for a guitar.

The old ones (pre-'95), which were made before PRS opened a factory are supposed to be top notch guitars. They were hand made in a custom shop, so maybe that's true - I have yet to find such a guitar to try it out (they're rare around here). Anyways, I'm keeping an eye on ebay for old PRS guitars.
These old guitars from the '80s and early '90s are what the reputation of PRS comes from I believe.

Quote by James Gadd
Having played all the cheapo PRSs, as well as owning one , i can say that the SE range can't be beaten in the price bracket. It blows all of the others out of the water in terms of sound, quality and feel. It helps if you get on with the big wide-fat necks, but if you like the looks too then you're pretty much onto a winner here. Obviously this is opinion, but i havent found anything better in the price range (other than a better PRS for a little more :P).
My two cents =]

Eh, I don't know. Yes, they indeed are nice. But around here, their highest end models cost 750€-800€, while the chapest Framus guitars are only 850€ (780€ if you manage to get one straight from the factory, if I remember correctly) and those are FAR better. They come without binding, fancy inlays and flametops though - but they sound and play a lot better.
Other example: The Ibanez prestige line begins at slightly less than 800€ and those guitars are better than PRS SEs as well.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 2, 2008,
I don't like their necks much. I think they are far too overpriced, and should be more like £1000 before I even consider it.
They are overpriced. But I do like some of there models alot. But that said my dream guitar is the Jackson SL2H Mahq soloist beautiful
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
IMO their lowest price model are overpriced (as is the rest, but that's just my opinion :P) but they are indeed godly to play (the customs just about annihilate 95% of the other guitars out there) but my metalhead dream guitar would be either a custom caparison or this one:

my wallet thanks god though, that you can't get caparisons here XD
Last edited by Slicer666 at Nov 2, 2008,
In my post, I was referring to the real bottom end PRS, which usually go for <£500, mine was £279, and the others in the price range seem to be a real catch if you can find one. At a higher price range i'm not so sure, as i've never had a reason good enough to pick one up in store. =]
-Gear-
Ibanez SR-500
Epiphone EJ-200
PRS SE EG (SSH version)
Ashdown Perfect Ten 30w
Ashdown ABM500 Evo II

Based in Birmingham, available for any bass work.
MSN or email narcolepsy_patrol@hotmail.co.uk
lowest I can get over here is €800, and although it does indeed play good, but the RG2550 (prestige) is the same price over here, and that one imo is a tad better :P
Quote by Slicer666
lowest I can get over here is €800, and although it does indeed play good, but the RG2550 (prestige) is the same price over here, and that one imo is a tad better :P

Are you looking at the SE series?
the PRS SE series isn't that great, they are nice, versatile guitars for the price though. Its the high end models everyone is talking about - they are just brilliant instruments, unarguably.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by James Gadd
My two cents =]

THIS, and they look like sex.
I've played a lot of guitars in my time as a guitar player... I've played Gibson, Fender, ESP, Jackson and more, but none of them could stand up to the sheer versatility and playability of my PRS.

Though admittedly, they cost a bomb.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Page 1 of 2