The way notes are spaced and played.

You can make just a few notes sound different every time you play them but just letting one note ring a bit longer, or just adding some subtle vibrato here and there, basically giving soul to the peformance.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
any links to good phrasing advice?
Last edited by merr08 at Nov 1, 2008,
the last solo of "estranged" by guns n roses has some examples, especially during bends
You can rest when you're dead.

User of
Schecter Guitars
Blackstar Amps
MXR Effects
Think of phrasing as a musical way of talking. When you talk, you don't talk the same way for every word and sentence. There will be breaks, emphasis, and a different tone of voice will be used depending on whether it is a statement or question or exclamation. Musical phrasing simply translates those into music.
i get a lot of stuff what your saying so heres an example: just use a scale to go with some chords in the same key
so when improvising for solos dont just hit a note every beat
hit 8th,16th,32nd notes
use hammer-ons,pull-offs, slides, bends, harmonics, alternate picking all stuff like that but i dont know the stuff like when to start playing as fast as possible stuff like that
Don't forget vibrato!

Knowing what to play when really depends on what I'm feeling at the moment. Some things just come to me and end up flowing through my hands. Improvising takes a lot of experimentation and listening. Go to YouTube and listen to any of your favorite guitarists play. You can try to copy a few licks here and there. Once you have a good "vocabulary," you can play about anything you want.

I never sit down and compose what I'm going to play for a solo (nor do I copy the solo of the original version of the song). It all depends on the groove of the song and how I am feeling at the moment. Some nights aren't anything special, but other times I am spectacular.

After you have enough practice, you'll end up noticing you will play certain things at certain times. This will be your individual style, and every guitarist has one.
Quote by merr08
but i dont know the stuff like when to start playing as fast as possible stuff like that

i need to know this?
My whole post there was about that. It will all depend on what you're feeling (or what you want to play at that moment).
To put it bluntly phrasing is EVERYTHING about the way you play but more generally people use the term to refer to the rhythmic nature of what you're playing. Either way you should check out this article: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/phrasing_for_dummies.html
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by merr08
im not a dummy lol

You asked what phrasing is; you need to read. Loads of quite advanced players could do with some of the advice in the article now quiet.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You asked what phrasing is; you need to read. Loads of quite advanced players could do with some of the advice in the article now quiet.

i was only joking mate calm down
I made a thread yesterday about the lack of phrasing people have. I put everything that is needed for phrasing but didn't explain.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=990891
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by Midnight Murk
Think of phrasing as a musical way of talking. When you talk, you don't talk the same way for every word and sentence. There will be breaks, emphasis, and a different tone of voice will be used depending on whether it is a statement or question or exclamation. Musical phrasing simply translates those into music.

+1

i really like this description of it