Mysterious thread title...

Yah, this is related to the other thread i posted.

How can a solo artist overcome the obstacles of not having a rhythm section, without being acoustic and poppy?

I would love to play classic rock covers and minute-long solos, but without a 2nd guitar or a bass, it's hard to keep the sound going, and without the other band members, rock is very weak.

So, how do you guys manage?
Quote by gabcd86
Mysterious thread title...

Yah, this is related to the other thread i posted.

How can a solo artist overcome the obstacles of not having a rhythm section, without being acoustic and poppy?

I would love to play classic rock covers and minute-long solos, but without a 2nd guitar or a bass, it's hard to keep the sound going, and without the other band members, rock is very weak.

So, how do you guys manage?

just get people to help you
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
yeah, backing tracks, especialy if you make them yourself. I saw a guy once preforming in a pub doing all kinds of classic rock songs, and he would sing and play solos while the backing track did the rest. And it was awsome to watch, he was reall into it.
But why would you wanna do it alone? Its much more fun with a band.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Backing tracks are really cheesy. Don't do it unless you play electronica, or you will look like a joke. Seriously, every show I've been to with a one-man band doing "rock" with backing tracks has every one walk out within three songs.

Play shorter solos, get a loop pedal to record rhythm parts to solo over live, or change the arrangements a bit. As a solo performer, if you can't play a lead that's interesting enough on its own that a band not being behind it doesn't affect it, you should not be a solo performer. It's a different ball game playing on your own, good and bad, and you have to adapt.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Ouch, painful thread :P

Well, I had ruled out backing tracks, 'cause they're slightly lame.

I haven't got a band, because there are about five drummers and four bassists in my area, and they're all in bands already, so I got bored of waiting and decided to go solo.

What do you mean by interesting leads being stand-alone - 90% of the instrumentals and solos in music have some accompaniment behind them...

Does an electric on its own look bad? Like - acoustic players are often alone, but electric guitars without bands are rarer...
If you're good enough to go it alone, you'll have no problem getting a band to help you. Don't do electric and solo vocal.... people won't buy it.

The reason I say this is that a decent singer means practically everything to a band. How 'bout all those threads that say "I can't find a singer?" There are more bands out there than singers. If you can sing, you can pick what band you want to be in.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Mmmm, I'm not sure I'm a good enough singer to pick and choose, and as I said before, there are no bands out there looking for a guitarist. I'm not in this for singing, if I got a part in a band singing, I wouldn't be happy - I am just singing because I can't play like Eric Johnson :P
...but if you were to do your classic rock covers while going solo, then you'd be the one singing, no? If you're not a good enough singer to pull that off, then seriously.... don't do it.

If you are, then go out there and pick a band to play with.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Yeah, I don't even know how well I can sing, I just have serious self-esteem issues, so I can't bear singing in front of... anyone.
Quote by gabcd86
What do you mean by interesting leads being stand-alone - 90% of the instrumentals and solos in music have some accompaniment behind them...

What I mean is that you can't go out there and play a five minute shred lead.....but you can pull off an eight-bar break (even sixteen bars sometimes) with a melodic line fine if you can play it to the tempo of the rest of the song's rhythm parts. I've seen many an acoustic solo performer do it. You have to change the music to fit being just you and a guitar, and having them be worthwhile listening to alone, which sometimes means shortening things and reworking so that the leads DO stand alone, and not being Mr. Crazywildshreddermillionsofnoteswowlook playing all alone.

But I have to agree with axemanchris here, if you don't want to sing, then don't do it. A halfway decent singer who plays guitar WILL be able to choose his band; someone not interested in actually singing, however, should not sing. Singing is more about confidence and hitting notes in key then having a great voice--in technical terms, Dylan, Springsteen, Lemmy, and on and on are poor singers, but they have the guts to go out there, put their hearts in it, and do it.

If you have the self-esteem issues you say you have, and your heart isn't in it, then you should really reconsider this whole venture.
Quote by axemanchris
If you're good enough to go it alone, you'll have no problem getting a band to help you. Don't do electric and solo vocal.... people won't buy it.

The reason I say this is that a decent singer means practically everything to a band. How 'bout all those threads that say "I can't find a singer?" There are more bands out there than singers. If you can sing, you can pick what band you want to be in.

CT

Not true. Hallelujah, halleluuuuuujah.

And TS, I meant to say loop pedal earlier. =\ I really have no idea how they work but they look incredibally fun. Learn to beat box and you can loop your drum beats, do a bass part, then a rhythm, and then solo.

The perfect plan.
Don't do loop pedals.... geez.... it doesn't take long for something really gimmicky to get really old really fast.

That's the beauty of forums, though.... feel free to disagree. The proof is in the pudding, though. Sure, you can always find exceptions where 1 in 1000 manage to go against the grain, but for all practical purposes, you actually go out and try to find someone doing electric guitar and vocal and see what happens.

First, they'll be hard to find because the people who book stuff would shy away from it to begin with. Easiest place to find something like that might be out front of the Beer Store on a Saturday afternoon.

Second.... unless they're really doing something special, you will probably find that the audience doesn't really buy it.

That all said... I'm not totally sure of the exception you're trying to point out. Of all the versions of that song I have heard, none of them are electric guitar and vocal that I recall. Unless you're talking about Leonard Cohen in general. That particular song never really became popular until someone else who could actually sing redid it. That should tell you something. He's highly respected as a writer, but not as a singer, so far as I have figured. Even at that... for every 1 person like that who makes it who can't hold a tune to save their life, there are about 2 million who have not made it for the same reason. Not good odds, I'd say.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 2, 2008,
^^^^^+1. He said it all.
I know, just trying to prove that it isn't impossible. And so what if loop pedals are gimmicky, they're sooooo coooool.
Unfortunately, if you try and do anything other than acoustic stuff on your own you are going to suck. Classic rock? I wouldn't even go there. Just a guitar and a guy singing classic rock will sound awful, no matter how good a singer or a guitarist you are.