Page 1 of 2
Heys guys my music group are covering Beat It (Fall Out Boy) and im wondering how do i get John Mayers tone when he plays the solo.

P.S I know Fall Out Boy are crap so no stupid comments!
You're looking at the wrong John Mayer
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
John Mayer is a blues/pop guitarist to my knowledge...and beat it is a Michael Jackson song...

why do you want to imitate the exact same tone of the song? :|
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by srvflood
You're looking at the wrong John Mayer

Not at all, just cause they're a crap band doesn't mean they don't have enough money to get ANYONE they want to work with them.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
^Was there a need? Did I come out and say:

"John Mayer doesnt play in FOB!11!11 U suck so bad for thinkin that n00b."

No? No.
Quote by haz_uk
john mayer played the solo on the fall out boy cover you morons.

read up on something before trying to rebut it.

Thank You
Quote by haz_uk

Great way to be a dick.

This thread should be closed, I already told you how to get that tone, but you'll need 20 grand
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Just play the EVH version
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Quote by Kevin Saale

Edit: Bart, he's speaking of this atrocity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgmL2LeuhY4

Man this kills Jackson's version. He must hate his life now he has this to compete with.

/sarcasm

Anyway, like Kevin says, you'll need about $20k to get it exactly. You could get an approximation with a strat and some sort of tweedish amp (like a peavey classic 30) and a heavy boost.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Man this kills Jackson's version. He must hate his life now he has this to compete with.

/sarcasm

Anyway, like Kevin says, you'll need about $20k to get it exactly. You could get an approximation with a strat and some sort of tweedish amp (like a peavey classic 30) and a heavy boost.

I die a little inside every time I hear it. John mayer's solo isn't even that good, he wanks on the trem bar more than EVH!
They should have hired in someone with some shred abilities if they wanted a decent solo on that. John Mayer does one, maybe two things well, but not metal/hard rock .
Quote by bartdevil_metal

/sarcasm

Thanks that was all i needed to know.
He's a great blues player, but a technical solo like that is definitely not his idea thing.

I also forgot about post production, re amping and running stuff in stereo, gotta take that into account.

Edit: Or their guitarist could not suck and learn the damn thing himself.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
They should have hired in someone with some shred abilities if they wanted a decent solo on that. John Mayer does one, maybe two things well, but not metal/hard rock .

yea, Petrucci or satch would've been alot better choice
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
...what is this world coming to...boy bands pretending to play instruments.

It's both amazing and the sign of the apocalypse =D
Just make your own tone, when you're covering something you don't have to (and shouldn't be) exact.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
John Mayer played on that song? Oh my god, I just lost a lot of respect for him, he's one of my favorite guitarist, but I can't believe he would play with them.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by ChrisL120
...what is this world coming to...boy bands pretending to play instruments.

It's both amazing and the sign of the apocalypse =D

tell that to the Jonas brother. 3 legal adults singing songs and pretending to play guitars to 12 year olds. pedophile much?
Quote by kckyle
tell that to the Jonas brother. 3 legal adults singing songs and pretending to play guitars to 12 year olds. pedophile much?

One of them is fifteen. And compared to Backstreet Boyz and NSync... Jonas Brothers are much less disturbing (though surprisingly even less talented)
Quote by 13secondslater
What song?

the one my mate kaiser bill wrote lyrics for. in your profile?
Quote by haz_uk

Yeah, sorry we're not all Fall Out Boy fanatics like you are.
You're*
Quote by Kevin Saale
I die a little inside every time I hear it. John mayer's solo isn't even that good, he wanks on the trem bar more than EVH!

Easily one of the best quotes I've ever heard from you.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by FlyingBeerman
One of them is fifteen. And compared to Backstreet Boyz and NSync... Jonas Brothers are much less disturbing (though surprisingly even less talented)

the fact that u know so much about them kinda disturbs me
i think any strat style guitar, though an overdriven fender-ish tube amp with an overdrive pedal will get you pretty close.

and to everyone that's bitching about Mayer: give it up. the man can do whatever the hell he wants. if he wants to make some extra money playing with that band, who cares. honestly, is a band like that called you up and payed you a large sum of money to wank on the guitar, wouldn't you do it?
Quote by idoitforthelulz
i think any strat style guitar, though an overdriven fender-ish tube amp with an overdrive pedal will get you pretty close.

and to everyone that's bitching about Mayer: give it up. the man can do whatever the hell he wants. if he wants to make some extra money playing with that band, who cares. honestly, is a band like that called you up and payed you a large sum of money to wank on the guitar, wouldn't you do it?

In the position I'm in now, of course. In Mayer's position (aka, being rich as all fuk), no, why tarnish my name and embarrass myself on a solo I couldn't handle?
Well, the band may have to play the solo live and they may not have wanted him to do something Fall Out Boy couldn't handle.
^That's a good point, now all the guitarist has to do is just wank on the trem bar.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I don't understand? The solo is pretty good. It's bluesy and you can tell it's John Mayer. Pretty obviously IMO what they got him for, no?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Survivalism
Yeah, sorry we're not all Fall Out Boy fanatics like you are.
Someone close this thread, people are ludicrous.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Page 1 of 2