Was it learning new scales/modes/positions on the neck, or was it learning other band's solos? I'm trying my best to keep my improvisations from all sounding the same, and I'm wondering what you all do to keep yourselves from getting stuck in ruts...

Any and all help appreciated
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by TacoPaco9317
Was it learning new scales/modes/positions on the neck, or was it learning other band's solos? I'm trying my best to keep my improvisations from all sounding the same, and I'm wondering what you all do to keep yourselves from getting stuck in ruts...

Any and all help appreciated

pentatonic scale!!!

and i dont know about getting out of a rut... im in a rut
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Understanding how to get more milage out of any lick by moving it around the different scale positions. I still get stuck in ruts but everyone does.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Phrasing is a big part, aswell as other theory. Good technique helps a lot because you need to be able to play anything that comes to mind.

Learning other artists songs can help with learning licks.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Theory.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Altering songs I already knew helped me achieve my own sound style, and eventually, led me to completely new original material. I write the music for my whole band. Although it wasn't as simple as that. I hardly know the basics to scales and true music theory.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Nov 1, 2008,
Learning Jazz and studying other artist's music. I know all about theory and it really doesn't help with learning to improvise. Improvisation can't be learned in a book. The basic foundations can be, but the rest is inside of you.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Spend 6 hours a day playing, listening to different guitarists for inspiration, and yes, of course practicing scales, study your favorite riffs and find out what scale or box positions are used, all easier said than done, it helps if you break up with your girlfriend or get addicted to drugs and lose all your friends, something like that, good luck!
spending hours and hours messing around. its the only way to get it. sure u need scales and theory and exercises but in the end you wont be able to pull it off unless you have had practice from actually doing it.
Quote by Warheart1188
Learning Jazz and studying other artist's music. I know all about theory and it really doesn't help with learning to improvise. Improvisation can't be learned in a book. The basic foundations can be, but the rest is inside of you.

well put dude
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Warheart1188

This.

You get better by PLAYING.
Playing with other people helped tremendously for me. I love me playing with friends because each one has a different style, I just ask for their starting tonic and just sync up with them now a days.
Quote by Warheart1188
Dont argee with the bolded part, but plus one for the rest.

I'd say phrasing (try to copy singers phrasing, sing with your guitar), theory (not just patterns, scale knowledge and accidentals and so on), keeping a rhthym and being relaxed (try drinking or smoking pot just a little, too much will make you too dopey)

Hope that helps.
I have som blues jam tracks, so I learn the scales I need and then as I´m playing to the jam track I learn the different scales and positions as I am improvising :P
Theory (meaning major, minor, augmented, diminished and pentatonic scales; intervals and chord construction; and finally modes) and listening to good music (you are not going to learn improvisation listening to Slipknot or Linkin Park) namely jazz, blues and fusion...............and you need to think........................