Page 1 of 2
i have this band but one my friends invited another guy to play in the band and now we are thre so how do we take advantage of this
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Two Lead one rhythm, two rhythm one lead, either you wanna go with it. It's really good if you guys wanna get crazy and plus it sounds great if you all play in sync.

My friends and I played a les paul, an sg, and a flying v all together at the same time in sync with one another and it sounded amazing. Two played power chords and we took turns doing solos.

Best jam ever.
but like i heard you should play in diff keys
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Yeah either do 2 leads, 1 rhythm; 2 rhythm, 1 lead; do those which whatever's done twice harmonizing eachother, or do 1 lead, 1 rhythm, and 1 guitar doing weird effects stuff in the back or doing a little bit of both, you gotta kind of experiment
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Just think of G3 or Iron Maiden... Either two people do rhythm and the other plays lead, and then during the solo have some Octave or Unison soloing. Also more writing power, so songs should be easier to write and better.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
I suppose the best sounding way would be to have, like previously stated, two lead and one rhythm or two rhythm and one lead. Like have two guys soloing, harmonizing each other, and the other guy laying down some rhythm. Or one guy soloing and two guys harmonizing. This reminds me of overdubbing. How, in the mix of a cd, there are two guitars on each side, and then the solo in the middle.
Maiden is only 2 guitars, one playing rhythm which in maiden's case could be anything from power chords to harmonies. and lead, which is usually something like an octave higher then whatever the rhythm player is playing. and then they trade off solos in some songs, or in other songs one plays a melody/chords in the background to keep it going while the other solos.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
maiden has 3......

anyways whats harmonizing
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
wow I feel stupid not knowing that.....anyway harmonizing is playing the same notes but different octaves.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by milkmanv1
wow I feel stupid not knowing that.....anyway harmonizing is playing the same notes but different octaves.

No, harmony just means playing two or more notes at the same time, not the same note. Trust me on this, I got a 5 on the AP music theory test. I would suggest you try some stuff like playing in thirds, fourths, or fifths. That means that while one of you plays say, a C chord, another plays an E-third, F-fourth or G chord-fifth. Lynyrd Skynyrd did this.
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
Blah, nevermind then.

Back to maiden for a second. they only recently obtained 3 guitarists all of there hits and whatnot were recorded with 2 so I was right.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
the harmonizing thing sounds rather easy..
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
wow you guys fail....
harmonizing is playing a certain interval apart, whether it be a major 3rd, minor 3rd, 4th, 5th, or octave.

so you guys could play leads lines in harmony...for example

a minor third is one and one halkf steps, or 3 frets....so to harmonize in a minor thirs, one person would play a note on , say, the 5th fret while the other plays on the eighth fret

( and the other can play rhythm)
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I wasn't aware that Eric Cartman was a UGer.

He said that about me

Quote by rokknrollldude
wow you guys fail....
harmonizing is playing a certain interval apart, whether it be a major 3rd, minor 3rd, 4th, 5th, or octave.

so you guys could play leads lines in harmony...for example

a minor third is one and one halkf steps, or 3 frets....so to harmonize in a minor thirs, one person would play a note on , say, the 5th fret while the other plays on the eighth fret

( and the other can play rhythm)

Again, wrong, you might call that harmonizing, but harmonizing just means playing 2 or more notes at once. wow you fail.... Learn your theory or STFU
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Last edited by Wrathlegion at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by Wrathlegion
Again, wrong, you might call that harmonizing, but harmonizing just means playing 2 or more notes at once. wow you fail.... Learn your theory or STFU

No.. he's completely right dude...
Quote by milkmanv1
Back to maiden for a second. they only recently obtained 3 guitarists all of there hits and whatnot were recorded with 2 so I was right.

The whole "Matter of Life and Death" album was recorded with all three of them so look at what they did on that, it should give you a good idea of how to use 3 guitar well.

More than that though you need to learn to harmonize and arrange parts across more than one instrument.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by HighPotency
No.. he's completely right dude...

Umm, no, harmonizing can be done on one guitar, its called a chord. Harmonizing doesn't have to be between 2 or more guitars.
Definition of harmony -
Music.
a. any simultaneous combination of tones.
b. the simultaneous combination of tones, esp. when blended into chords pleasing to the ear; chordal structure, as distinguished from melody and rhythm.
c. the science of the structure, relations, and practical combination of chords.
Therefore: Harmonization is the combination of two or more notes.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Last edited by Wrathlegion at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by milkmanv1
Blah, nevermind then.

i'm pretty sure they;ve had 3 for a long time, but i'm not a maiden expert...

EDIT: and by the way, the two leads don't ahve to harmonize. They can play slightly different stuff, take turns etc. One can play standard solo stuff while the other does some crazy background effects and the third plays rhythm

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Last edited by Tenacious D'er at Nov 1, 2008,
They actually have 4 now, but they have had 3 since 1980.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Quote by Wrathlegion
Umm, no, harmonizing can be done on one guitar, its called a chord. Harmonizing doesn't have to be between 2 or more guitars.
Definition of harmony -
Music.
a. any simultaneous combination of tones.
b. the simultaneous combination of tones, esp. when blended into chords pleasing to the ear; chordal structure, as distinguished from melody and rhythm.
c. the science of the structure, relations, and practical combination of chords.
Therefore: Harmonization is the combination of two or more notes.

And that's exactly what he explained. He never said it HAS to be 2 or more guitars. He was just going into the theory-technical explanation, and you ranted and told him to "learn his theory".

It's fairly obvious who needs to do the learning here.
Quote by Wrathlegion
They actually have 4 now, but they have had 3 since 1980.

They only have 3
Dave Murray - Guitar 1976–present
Adrian Smith - Guitar 1980–1990, 1999–present
Janick Gers - Guitar 1990–present
Steve Harris - Bass
Nicko McBrain -Drums
Bruce Dickinson - Vocals

Janick Gers replaced Adrian Smith in 1990 and when Adrian wanted to come back in 1999 they didn't want to fire Janick so they decided to have 3 guitarist.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by Wrathlegion
Umm, no, harmonizing can be done on one guitar, its called a chord.

Not necessarily: if you play only two notes then it can't be a chord (not talking about power chords here)

chord
Noun
the simultaneous sounding of three or more musical notes [short for accord]
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Tenacious D'er
i'm pretty sure they;ve had 3 for a long time, but i'm not a maiden expert...

EDIT: and by the way, the two leads don't ahve to harmonize. They can play slightly different stuff, take turns etc. One can play standard solo stuff while the other does some crazy background effects and the third plays rhythm

Yeah; Brave New World, Dance of Death and Matter of Life and Death were all recorded with all three guitarists.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, I was entirely right in my comment, and he said it was wrong, therefore he was wrong.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Quote by Wrathlegion
Well, I was entirely right in my comment, and he said it was wrong, therefore he was wrong.

What?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Not necessarily: if you play only two notes then it can't be a chord (not talking about power chords here)

chord
Noun
the simultaneous sounding of three or more musical notes [short for accord]

I never said that all harmonies are chords, I just stated that a chord is an example of a harmony played on just one guitar.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Quote by aznrockerdude
What?

I wasnt talking to you in that post.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
dude i was just giving them an outline and pointing out that harmonizing isnt just octaves everything i said in my post was true
Quote by Spartan070sarge

He said that about me

And everything I said in my post was true, and I stated it wasnt just in octaves. I think I was responding to you saying I was wrong, but you were really talking about them. My apologies if this is the case.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
have one do chunky chording, one do more lead lines, and the other do a combo of both or maybe do some ambient textures :p.
do two leads and one rhythm like Skynyrd. It sounds win. =3.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Spartan070sarge

He said that about me

Quote by milkmanv1
Blah, nevermind then.

They've had 3 guitarists for the last 8 years...

TS - the rhythm guitars will drown out your solos. I suggest investing in a volume pedal if you don't already have one.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
*Shakes Hands*
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Quote by Reds3031
They've had 3 guitarists for the last 8 years...

TS - the rhythm guitars will drown out your solos. I suggest investing in a volume pedal if you don't already have one.

I never actually used a volume pedal, but I don't think they add any more volume, they're just for more control.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Radiohead comes into mind. One could play straight out rythm, one could make weird sounds to texture the song, and one could play crazy lead parts.
Quote by aznrockerdude
I never actually used a volume pedal, but I don't think they add any more volume, they're just for more control.

He might mean for the rhythm guitarist to back off when they need to, or keep the volume pedal down and use it for solo boost when he needs to, then roll it back down a bit.
Page 1 of 2