I've only been playing for about 3-4 months now, i've got an electric, and im starting to get some songs that require palm muting. I very very vaguely understand how a palm mute works, but when i try it it sounds pretty awful. Please help me: What is Palm muting? how is it done? and how should i execute it properly?

Feel free to post links to sites with good tips on this treacherous technique.
Ok

1) Palm Muting is when you place the thick part of your fretting hand, the thick part where your pinkey is by, and put it on the strings by the bridge lightly. You should still be able to pick, but it will sort of mute the strings.

2) Put your hand down on the thick part, the rest should be off the strings.

3) By turning your hand.

Sorry if I sounded kinda repetative, but I did the best you could. Hope it helps
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Thank you, that is clearing up some cloudy nonsense that i had somehow gotte into my head. 'nother question now: How would i palm mute and strum up and down? when i try it my hand almost always comes of the string and it sounds ugly.
You can alternate pick and palm mute just as normal, just kinda turn your fingers at an angle (a small one) and see if that helps you
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Its really not that hard. All you do is take you palm of your picking hand and put it close the the bridge ( the end of the strings ) The "muting" sound varies depending on how close you put your hand.
As far as picking up and down the strings, it's just going to take practice. You need independance in your picking index and thumb so they aren't relying on your whole arm/hand/wrist to pick. You want to use just the little muscles in your fingers so you hand is free to mute. It also helps eliminate tension in your hand, which will hamper your speed further down the line.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play