I am only 14 years old and i play a fairly heavy bass (about 9 1/2 pounds), and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to absorb the weight because i cant play for 10 miniutes without getting a huge ache in my back...
Get a stronger back. But seriously, try a wider strap, standing straighter, and some excersize. my Minarik is about 10 pounds, and I can handle that fine.
Stand upright, don't hunch forward. I'm not saying you do, but most people who hurt their backs do that. Your body will probably get used to it eventually. When it does, it will be a good thing.
yeah i had a squire p-bass for awhile and im 15...pretty heavy bass....but im a pretty built guy so it didnt bother me...but i play the sousaphone in the pep band....sousaphone=marching tuba, and that hurts my shoulder after awhile but back to the bass yeah i advise working your back or getting a lighter bass, i bought a new bass recently and it is much lighter i didnt buy it for the lightness because i bought it off musciansfriend and never actually played it just look at it im rambling sorry....work out...dont beat your wife
Last edited by goldenslumbers at Nov 1, 2008,
Good posture, exercise your legs, back and neck. Also look at wider straps that can spread out the weight a bit better.
I understand everyone, but i already have a Franklin 2"5 strap and yes i stand straight and everything, but its just not doing it for me...but thanks for the helpfullness, i guess ill go try to do some exersize
play the ukelele? it's 4 string as well, and will be much lighter!

but seriously, i used to have the same problem, my back would get sore and playing the bass would only exacerbate it, the best thing you can do is get a few exercises and stretches, and do them each morning when u wake up and each night before you go to bed. It'll only take you 10 minutes, and u'll lead a much happier life.

I recommend seeing a physio if it gets worse too. Ur only 14, so getting good habits now in terms of posture etc will serve you very well for a LONG time to come.
How long have you been playing? I don't remember, but I think it may have hurt my back when I first started. It'll go away eventually.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Invest in a good wide strap--don't go cheap here. Levy straps aren't cheap but they worth the extra cash for the comfort.

Also make sure you aren't wearing your bass too low and your posture is good.
Quote by anarkee
Invest in a good wide strap--don't go cheap here. Levy straps aren't cheap but they worth the extra cash for the comfort.

Strap is way important, I agree. I used to use a thin strap and had major back problems. Got a good thick one, problems vanished.
Quote by McFoss
I got in shape by beating my wife. My advice is to get married.

ROFLZ!
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
I remember when I first started, my BC Rich would KILL my back after jamming with friends :[
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
The position of your bass could have something to do with it, like anarkee said. Try playing it a little higher.
Peavey Fury bass
100 watt SWR Workingman's 12
bass= 10 pounds

average weight of 14 year old- 120-170 lbs, normally

that is a 50 pound difference. work out and mess with stance. ride the nipples.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeh, Ive had back problems since I was 8 caus eof my weight, yes im a fatty but still back o topic, mines about 9 kilos and doenst bother me that much
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by anarkee

yeah, ive used levy straps since i started guitar and continued to use them when i started bass.

mine are about 2 inches wide and are really comfy (sorry, cant spell )

plus they look cool
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by anarkee

I'm pretty sure this is about the millionth time I've backed Anarkee up on this one, but get a 4" levy strap. It's what I use, and it works great. It's a b**** to put strap locks on. I found that out the hard way. But I did it.

so, ya invest in the and get better posture
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I think my strap is a 3 inch Levy strap(i believe it's 3, notsure but it's wide) and it helped a lot. I have shoulder problems in my left shoulder but since getting this strap it's faded away. apparently my bass screwed up my shoulder.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Sit-ups are my recommendation. Seriously, they build ab and lower back strength, plus they give you sexy six-packs to show off on stage!

+1 for good strap
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by samskii
Sit-ups are my recommendation. Seriously, they build ab and lower back strength, plus they give you sexy six-packs to show off on stage!

+1 for good strap

*does sit-ups*

on a serious note, make sure your bass isn't too low, i found out the hard way really low bass=bad for back
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>