Hey everyone, i normally play bass and don't play guitar but i need your guys help. Our long time friend who has been playing guitar and his family have been having financial problems for as long as i can remember. He is an amazing guitarist and he is limited to playing on a 40$ no-name brand strat of craigslist. Me and my friends have decided to do him a kind deed and buy him a guitar with our money(It's a birthday surprise shhhhh). We are cashing in quite the buck and we can go up to about 550$ unless there is something alot better within a few dollars of the price range. So any suggestions?

And if it helps, he likes mostly metal and hard rock, Black Label, Some RATM, Guns n Roses, Velvet Revolver, and all of that general stuff.

Thanks for all your help
Last edited by Taygunov at Nov 1, 2008,
what kinda amp he got?
Quote by powerhead
It's just an easy way to shift blame as always. If Slipknot caused people to get murdered, then spoons caused Rosie O'Donnell to get fat.

MY LISTಠ_ಠ
--(Matt)--
cmalm04
dwmacfar2
get him a strat, obviously. an HSS for the heavier stuff.

edt: get a standard strat for $400, or get one cheaper if it is used. then use the rest for an amp, if he is using one that is craptastic.

off-topic....did axe's menace ever have their live show?
Yeah, depends on the amp. TS, you guys are great guys, what you're doing is great. There aren't enough people out there like you.

EDIT: Yeah, HSS stratocaster, they're $399 new, I got mine for about $330. Great guitars.
My Fender HSS strat custom was only 399 at GC(mexican).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103814638-i1148871.gc

Its got great tone, and with the extra coin you can snatch him a pedal or amp.

You guys rock, that awesome that your hookin' him up. cheers!!!
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by Skierinanutshel
get him a strat, obviously. an HSS for the heavier stuff.

edt: get a standard strat for $400, or get one cheaper if it is used. then use the rest for an amp, if he is using one that is craptastic.

off-topic....did axe's menace ever have their live show?

LMAO I can't believe someone remembers, and he told me it will be in early November there finishing there "songs". But I haven't forgot don't worry the second i hear the word i'm posting here xD
Erm wait wait... Reading the above post, what kind of amp does he have,
Cause,
250$ decent amp + 300$ Gibson > 550$ guitar
Like a roland cube30x or something
which costs roughtly 270$
Quote by irishstang_87
Yeah, depends on the amp. TS, you guys are great guys, what you're doing is great. There aren't enough people out there like you.

EDIT: Yeah, HSS stratocaster, they're $399 new, I got mine for about $330. Great guitars.

Lol well he's been our friend for nearly 3 years and not to be rude but the slump he lives in everything it just makes us so sad we had to do something about it, if we had enough dough we would get him a nice house too =P
Quote by Taygunov
LMAO I can't believe someone remembers, and he told me it will be in early November there finishing there "songs". But I haven't forgot don't worry the second i hear the word i'm posting here xD

how can we not? they are the worst thing to happen to music. but i want to say that what you are doing for your friend is awesome!
Quote by Darkshade666
Erm wait wait... Reading the above post, what kind of amp does he have,
Cause,
250$ decent amp + 300$ Gibson > 550$ guitar
Like a roland cube30x or something
which costs roughtly 270$

Holy shit, where can I get a $300 Gibson?
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
how can we not? they are the worst thing to happen to music. but i want to say that what you are doing for your friend is awesome!

Thank you, also on a side note, the same guitarist plays drums now, here his drum solo (my friend told me the music teacher actually kicked him out of the room), I'd give you a video but i don't have one , nor do i wan't to hear it....

On a side note - To everyone, one of my friends who is helping is pretty wealthy so he is already giving him his 100 watt or so fender rumble amp, it is a really nice sounding amp (but what do i know im a bassist) and i think its better than what he has some bootleg amp or something - so the amp is covered!
Last edited by Taygunov at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by Taygunov
Thank you, also on a side note, the same guitarist plays drums now, here his drum solo (my friend told me the music teacher actually kicked him out of the room), I'd give you a video but i don't have one , nor do i wan't to hear it....

On a side note - To everyone, one of my friends who is helping is pretty wealthy so he is already giving him his 100 watt or so fender rumble amp, it is a really nice sounding amp (but what do i know im a bassist) and i think its better than what he has some bootleg amp or something - so the amp is covered!

what do you know the rumbles are bass amps i own one
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Id get one of these

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-1966-G-400-Electric-Guitar-102676350-i1166714.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103814638-i1148871.gc

Im guessing he probably also needs a nice amp, with the leftover budget money you could get your friend a good SS amp like one of these.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-481169-i1175936.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Cube-15X-Guitar-Amp-487030-i1169242.gc

Both of the guitars are great, and the amps are good for what you pay as well, ive never played the peavey before, but everyone says that they are possibly the best SS amps out there.

Edit: Didn't see what you posted about the amp, still though they would be good amps if you wanted to get him one.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Why is everyone so keen on getting him a strat? A strat wouldn't do metal/heavy rock as well as a les paul of sorts.

I recommend giving the guy the amp on his birthday, he will be extremely happy, then tell him you're all giving him 550 dollars to go guitar shopping with and let him decide himself. $550 is alot of money to risk on a gamble.

Btw, you're an amazing friend.
Quote by dandadog
Why is everyone so keen on getting him a strat? A strat wouldn't do metal/heavy rock as well as a les paul of sorts.

I recommend giving the guy the amp on his birthday, he will be extremely happy, then tell him you're all giving him 550 dollars to go guitar shopping with and let him decide himself. $550 is alot of money to risk on a gamble.

Btw, you're an amazing friend.

Wow lol i can't believe any of us didn't think of this, this is a wonderful decision, thank you everyone for your help, i'm gonna go back to my territory of bass now :P

Once again thanks!
Quote by Taygunov
Wow lol i can't believe any of us didn't think of this, this is a wonderful decision, thank you everyone for your help, i'm gonna go back to my territory of bass now :P

Once again thanks!

Lol, nothing wrong with bass, bro, I'm planning on learning pretty soon.
Quote by Taygunov

Once again thanks!

Hope all goes well, mate.

Be sure to make him join UG and thank everyone in the thread.. And post a NGD thread.
Quote by irishstang_87
Lol, nothing wrong with bass, bro, I'm planning on learning pretty soon.

I know lol, I'm a pretty old person bassist (even though i'm only 14). High strap, crush on natural wood finish basses + bridge pickup = MMMmmm
Quote by Taygunov
I know lol, I'm a pretty old person bassist (even though i'm only 14). High strap, crush on natural wood finish basses + bridge pickup = MMMmmm

Decided what you're gonna do mate? Buy him a guitar or let him chose?

Either way, that will be the most amazing birthday ever, although his parents might not be very happy about it.
Quote by Silent_Crow13
Yeah where?

A used melody maker.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
literally all of the bands you listed except RATM use Les Pauls.

get him one of these:
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1732.html

they have some other finishes and stuff on that site, and those guitars are approximately equal to Gibby LP Standards for a whole lot less money. he will literally love you forever.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
Let him choose! Nothing worse than having an expensive guitar (that was a gift)that you hate.
If you pick one for him, he kind of has to like it because he would probably feel like a d1ck saying he didnt like it. Just do yourself and him a favor and let him pick it.
Is there any way you can figure out exactly he would buy if he had the money.Maybe you could pretend that one of you have that amount of money and doon't know what to buy for yourself.Or a gift certificate to a great guitar shop.You guys are great by the way!
Quote by I am wet
A used melody maker.

5 years ago you could have gotten one new, it seems like they jack the prices up little by little every year.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
thats great of you, if only my friends were like you guys... search Musicians friend for a guitar in your price range, find one he wold like, than call all the local stores and see if they have it... hats always my strategy for getting gear...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by dandadog

Bollocks to that.

You could take him to a guitar shop, like, if you guys are ever in town or something, just meander in there and see what he seems most keen on, then you can get that without raising suspicion.