Okay so I love classic rock, psychedelic rock and neo progressive. Now I also love strats / teles. No problem there right! However I also love heavy metal, anything from Nile to Gojira to Nevermore.

I wanna be able to play both styles - often in the same song (porcupine tree anyone!) So the problem is I either need to figure a way to mod a strat to make it sound more heavy metal at times, or find an extremely versatile guitar. Now of course I'd rather mod a strat / tele just because I think they are a beautiful looking & sounding guitar and to me they are very iconic.

Anyway any suggestions are helpful, also keep in mind I have no modding experience so uhh layman's terms could be helpful

-Luke
try some hot rails there not gonna get u all the metal ur looking for but there pretty high output and try some strat and tele emgs but there a little less rock tone
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Maybe a H-S-S strat...? Put a more metal-suited pickup (EMG?) in the bridge humbucker spot if you want.
Fender Highway One HSS Stratocaster

It's a good ol' Strat, but it also has a Humbucker in the bridge position, making it great for Heavier, more distorted genres
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Check out the Hagstrom Ultra Swede. It has 2 humbuckers, but they can be split into single coils with a coil splitter switch. Plus, they're only about $500
Last edited by LukeBTH at Nov 1, 2008,
Try getting a Fat Strat and slap a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. They are very versatile pickups. Normally, if you get a Standard series Strat or up, then the middle and neck pickups don't usually need replacing.
get a hss strat and replace the bridge pu with a seymour duncan jb or something for a little more output
Try a strat with some Dimarzio's in the bridge(metal), a Lace burgundy sensor(classic rock/psychedelic) in the middle and a Fender Texas Special in the neck(blues/psychedelic/classic rock). Seems like that's what you'd be looking for.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Swap-Meet
les pauls neither sound or look a thing like a tele or LP

That makes no sense
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd

You know, he didn't have to get matching pickups. He could get a bunch of different ones, not just three lace sensors. =/

Quote by necrosis1193
You know, he didn't have to get matching pickups. He could get a bunch of different ones, not just three lace sensors. =/

I wanted to keep it simple for him, because that's what he asked.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
I wanted to keep it simple for him, because that's what he asked.

Eh, I don't see getting three different pickups as unsimple, but I guess.

Quote by necrosis1193
Eh, I don't see getting three different pickups as unsimple, but I guess.

really, I don't either, but it's just easier, especially the whole prewired thing, and they're good pickups.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Hey thanks to everyone who replied, you've given me a tonne of info. I should be able to do some of my own research now and decided what I wanna do later.

Cheers