Still looking for an amp, after all this time. Can't seem to find one I like so I've raised my price limit. Am I better off getting a head and a cabinet? or a combo? I don't want an amp for gigging (Rarely playing with people) but I want it to sound nice. A tube amp is preferable. Can I get a good sound when it's relatively quiet?

I hate metal. So, unlike every other thread on these forums, that's NOT what I'm looking for.

Bands I like: Muse, Radiohead, Rise against, Chilli peppers, the vines, reel big fish, the beatles, the killers, kings of leon.

Ideas?
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
^Sounds like a good choice, can you run us down a list of what you didn't like to narrow down our suggestions?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by ltd v100
line 6 spider 3?

lol, you're joking yeah?

Quote by mcrfobtai
Gtfo
Ac30

Yeah, I was looking at this, but it is LOUD, isn't it? Will it be able to handle harder stuff? Or am I better off getting a marshall head and cabinet?

edit: I tried the MGs, terrible. I tried the Vox AD30, 50 and 100VTs, and while good, they weren't really tube amps. The AC15 sounded nice but wasn't sure if it could get the harder distortion (rise against). It seems to be able to do like a nice bluesy break up but nothing more. I tried those little roland solid state modelling amps too.
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
Hmm, maybe a 5 watt tube amp and a nice(very nice) distortion pedal for the harder stuff?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by ltd v100
i own a spider 3 and im very happy w/it

Oh, sorry, I just heard bad things. I'll have a play of one. Thanks
Quote by sashki
Quote by mooshoepork
Oh, sorry, I just heard bad things. I'll have a play of one. Thanks

no problem
best thing is to try it out and see wat u think not wat others think
Well, an AC30 will be a lot more quiet then a Marshall stack.

It is fairly loud but it certainly can be played at bedroom levels.
It's not really a hard amp But with a solid od it can do Rise Against. (Hint- Buy the amp used and get an OCD for that). You can get some natural drive since it has a mv and then boost it with the OCD. The Marshall stack will be much louder. But I hate when people generalize by brand. A Marshall head and cab could mean a lot of things. I would like a JCM800 stack but I wouldn't kill myself over a TSL. A JCM could do it but they don't really have great cleans so it may not be the best for you
Maybe try a JCM-900 combo. A lot of those bands use marshalls. The 900 is a little more tame than then 800. The clean is a little nicer too.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by ltd v100
line 6 spider 3?

Obvious troll is obvious.

AC30 would be good for you with an OD pedal.
ಠ_ಠ
TS dont listen to that spider guy. So many better amps you could get in that budget.
for what you are playing- Orange rocker 30 sounds about right, perhaps a used JCM900 or a Carvin V3.

AC30 is probably a very good idea.
I'll have a look at the AC30 then thanks guys you're the best! What kind of distortion pedal should I get? I used to have a Boss DS2 and wasn't too fond of it (probably because of my shitty amp). How do AC30s handle pedals?

Am I looking for a distortion pedal or an overdrive?
Quote by sashki
My vote goes for Orange Rocker 30. You won't need a pedal for what you described. Fantastic cleans too.
Whoa, the orange rocker 30 looks awesome. Just checked out some videos. Sadly, it's like 2000 ++ here in Australia , which is pushing it a bit.
Quote by sashki
What about an orange tiny terror?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
You're better off getting a nice clean amp and getting all your grit from a pedal.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
The tiny terror is 1000 ish AUD. so like 650 USD? Does that sound about right? :| Probably not, we get owned here.

edit: can get one for 650 second hand.
edit 2: damn, was just the head.

edit3: Am I better off getting a head and then a cabinet? or just the combo?
Quote by sashki
Last edited by mooshoepork at Nov 2, 2008,
ac30 + fuzz will get you muse, add an od and you can get rise against
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Ah k cool, I'll look into that one

Any opinions of what is better, the tiny terror or the AC30?
Quote by sashki