I've been seeing guitars get butchered lately in this forum, and the owners should be castrated! you know who you are

first the definition
rel·ic
n.
1. Something that has survived the passage of time, especially an object or custom whose original culture has disappeared
2. Something cherished for its age or historic interest.
3. An object kept for its association with the past; a memento.
4. An object of religious veneration, especially a piece of the body or a personal item of a saint.
5. or relics A corpse; remains.

I mark key words with bold cause non of the definition say trow the guitar from a 2nd floor or hammer it.

-----------------------------------

OK... for people that still want to go true with modding their guitar to look old and used' here this video that tells you how he did it and why he did it so you can understand why a relic guitar looks like it does.

I hope this post will save some guitar from being hammered to ugliness

if someone have something to add please do, links, suggestions, pics of naturally age guitar or even pics of some successful mods.

thanks Ippon for this link with information on minor details on relic guitars

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Last edited by Nagashiro at Nov 2, 2008,
i see where your coming from, i even hate the fender custom shop relics, if its not real it doesnt count in my opinion

luckily my Strat is 22 years old and looks the dogs bollox
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Zeds.Ded
i see where your coming from, i even hate the fender custom shop relics, if its not real it doesnt count in my opinion

luckily my Strat is 22 years old and looks the dogs bollox

I would like to see that

Quote by Nagashiro
I been seen guitar being butcher on the forums lately, and the owners should be castrated! you know who you are

Learn to write
I been seen English being butcher in this threads lately, and the owner should be castrated! you know who you are

Just kidding, but seriously, this thread is looking alot like spam.
Quote by gurg06
Learn to write

sorry second language i will try to fix it

Quote by Invader Jim
TS, here is how it should go:

I've been seeing guitars get butchered lately in this forum. (the rest is ok).

thanks

also its not spam the video is not mine and i dont know that guy

As much as I agree with your point.
Relicing a guitar is not in fact the process of taking a guitar though a large passage of time, a "reliced" guitar is one that has been artificially aged.

These people slandering well done relics (that's actually well done relics, not the average "Hey check it I threw my guitar into the grand canyon" or the god awful relics that the Fender CS produce (though some are nicely done)), I feel, don't have a valid argument, that's similar to saying "You can't paint your guitar another colour, you should let it get that colour naturally".
It's all just aestethic (probably spelt that wrong) value, even if it's a bad relic, as long as the user is happy and all that jazz.
Though I throroughly back the "never relic a good guitar" mindset.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
As much as I agree with your point.
Relicing a guitar is not in fact the process of taking a guitar though a large passage of time, a "reliced" guitar is one that has been artificially aged.

These people slandering well done relics (that's actually well done relics, not the average "Hey check it I threw my guitar into the grand canyon" or the god awful relics that the Fender CS produce (though some are nicely done)), I feel, don't have a valid argument, that's similar to saying "You can't paint your guitar another colour, you should let it get that colour naturally".
It's all just aestethic (probably spelt that wrong) value, even if it's a bad relic, as long as the user is happy and all that jazz.

Though I throroughly back the "never relic a good guitar" mindset.
I guess I'm at extreme end since I want my guitars to look new old stock (NOS).

I agree with you, punk_ninja, except the part about "never relic a good guitar". I like the look of old guitars, but don't want to wait until I'm 40 or 50 to be able to play one.
I dunno, while an older looking guitar has character, I myself don't feel the need to artificially age it by beating it up. I'll age it by playing it.

If you feel the need to "relic" it, at least follow some decent tutorials on it so you don't accidentally f**k it up.
Quote by CodeMonk
I dunno, while an older looking guitar has character, I myself don't feel the need to artificially age it by beating it up. I'll age it by playing it.

If you feel the need to "relic" it, at least follow some decent tutorials on it so you don't accidentally f**k it up.

Thats what im trying to promote here ^_^

A good relic can only be done by starting with a nitrocellulose paint job. Relics cannot... CANNOT be done using polyurethane paint. A belt sander is not a tool used during relicing! I've seen some ebay carnage that is hideous. A good relic job is accomplished using sandpaper, amber tinted lacquer, and anything that can chip and check a paint job.
If the guitar looks like a beaver chewed on it, it is not a good relic.
There is a website on this, with complete instructions. It works well.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Invader Jim
I like the look of old guitars, but don't want to wait until I'm 40 or 50 to be able to play one.
I mean you could always just buy an old guitar... I like old guitars mostly because I KNOW they've been played, loved, gigged, and left out on the floor at the end of a massive night, and when I play "relic'd" instruments I feel like I'm playing those Hollister jeans with the rips pre-torn at the factory. There's no extra soul, just extra self-consciousness.

But given that you have that fantastic Hofner in your possession, I'm assuming you didn't need this rant
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
I know, but old guitars are expensive (except the Hofner, which only cost me 50 bucks). I have a shitload of old guitars, but they are no-names (except the Hof) and it kinda defeats the purpose, 'cause then it's like owning it just because it's old, not because it's a good-sounding and playing instrument.

I don't mean like, just trash it, but putting love into it or something. Kinda like when you build your first guitar, it always holds that special place in your heart.

Going back and reading this post, I realised how much sense it doesn't make. And thanks for the compliments about The Hoff (that's its name ).