Page 1 of 2
Line 6 Spider III vs Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
I will be using a Schecter Damien-FR.

What do you guys think I should get?
=============
Also, I'll be playing a lot of rock, punk, metal and heavy metal.
Last edited by Joshe_009 at Nov 1, 2008,
Neither.

Transtube is a gimmic, go full tube or go home.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
Neither.

Hell to the no, the bandit is great for the money. It matters if you are getting a newer one or a used one.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by l3p4rd
Neither.

what if he doesn't want to get a tube amp? what if it's just a practice amp?
Peavey

Valveking

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Quote by Ghold125
what if he doesn't want to get a tube amp? what if it's just a practice amp?

If he said that, it'd be different.

But he didn't so don't rage.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Every time I go to GC, I try out the Spider IIIs just to see maybe if I'm missing something, or not setting things right, and every time I dislike what I hear on 'em. Which Peavey Transtube amps are you talking about? Many of their SS amps use their transtube technology. If you're talking the Peavey Vypyrs, I'd go for the Vypyrs, hands down.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I figured you're looking at the Spider's for their modeling abilities, in which case like I said before, give the Peavey Vypyrs a look.

How much can you afford or have to put towards an amp, what kind of music do you like to play?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I can spend no more then 600 dollars i think. AUS DOLLAR.

The line 6 spider im looking at is 75 WATTS.

I thought the line 6 would be easier for me, since it's got lots of features whereas the Peavey seemed like it didn't have many and i would be spending a lot of time setting up the amp.

Note: This is my first REAL amp.
Last edited by Joshe_009 at Nov 2, 2008,
Quote by Joshe_009
I can spend no more then 600 dollars i think. AUS DOLLAR.

The line 6 spider im looking at is 75 WATTS.

I thought the line 6 would be easier for me, since it's got lots of features whereas the Peavey seemed like it didn't have many and i would be spending a lot of time setting up the amp.

Note: This is my first REAL amp.

Spiders aren't real amps, they're digital garbage, especially the bigger wattage ones.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
I currently own a Bandit 112, and I must say that even though it is a solid state amp, it plays really well, it's been everything I expected from it and more.

(But I'm trying to sell mine now because I need to get some with onboard effects. Besides Line 6, heh.)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Well you could buy the spider, then in a few months you will be thinking, wtf is wrong with this thing. They aren't the absolute worst practice amps - but they are close. I am assuming you play metal based on the two amps you list. If so Hak is right above that a Vypyr would be a better suit than either of the two amps you are considering. Widen your search bro. Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronics would be worth checking out too. If you don't play a ton of metal, I saw a thread recently where a guy (in AU) got a legacy tube amp that is just a re-badged Epiphone Blues Custom for around $600 AU. 30 watts, all tube, in AU.
Yes. Get the Peavey and stay the **** away from Spiders. They're poisonous you idiot.
peavey bandits don't depreciate in price as much as other amps do. if it's in good condition no matter the age, where i work we'll proudly offer the same amount. While for the line 6's people are usually getting low balled since they have a new product being flooded every now and then and everyone has them, then everyone want's to get rid of them, and hence a bad reputation and we'll have a harder time selling it to a UG forum browser.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Last edited by 68_SG at Nov 2, 2008,
So I'm guessing the Spider III is junk? I didn't find it to be all that bad when I played on it though - and the sound was very similar to the Bandit 112. Oh well.

The Bandit seems to lack features and this worries me... I have a slight feeling I'll regret buying it afterwards. But then again, the same goes with the Line 6.

Hmm... I think it's going to hard finding the Vypyr in South Australia. I think I'll get the Bandit if I can't find it.

Good idea guys?
Last edited by Joshe_009 at Nov 2, 2008,
Try out a peavey vypyr or vox valvetronix, they're both awesome amps. I own a valvetronix and have tried the peavey vypyr on a few occasions.
I've had 2 Line6 spiders and had no problems out of either one. I will agree they are not the best sounding amp out, but for all of the features i like them for home practice. As I've had more time with them I've found ways to get different tones out of them and actually like the Spider Jam I have now quite a lot.
Quote by gregs1020
Well you could buy the spider, then in a few months you will be thinking, wtf is wrong with this thing. They aren't the absolute worst practice amps - but they are close. I am assuming you play metal based on the two amps you list. If so Hak is right above that a Vypyr would be a better suit than either of the two amps you are considering. Widen your search bro. Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronics would be worth checking out too. If you don't play a ton of metal, I saw a thread recently where a guy (in AU) got a legacy tube amp that is just a re-badged Epiphone Blues Custom for around $600 AU. 30 watts, all tube, in AU.

those legacy's are cheap epiphone knock offs. they have cheap speakers and tubes and although you can change those, with the added cost of changing them you could buy a better amp.

I would suggest a Cube. I haven't seen a vyper on sale in west aus.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I can't suggest either one because for the year and a half that I've been playing, I've only owned a 15W Spider III and I don't hate it but apparently it sucks according to everyone else. Then again, I'm using a lower wattage one than this discussion is about and when the wattage is that low, it probably doesn't matter what you get because everything sucks regardless. XD I guess the only reason I don't hate it is because I use a Boss Metal Zone with it so it doesn't matter which 15W amp I use with it.
The spider's many features are only useful if you spend the extra money on the controller. Which in some cases costs as much as the amp. And they are pretty unreliable amps. The peavey has less features but that means you get more quality. And using stomp boxes isnt an issue with the peavey. And the peavey will be working long after the spider has developed one of its many electric gremlins.
Quote by Kikuta
Yes. Get the Peavey and stay the **** away from Spiders. They're poisonous you idiot.

Unnecessary post? The idiot part that is.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else. Look out for a Vypyr first if nothing, then get the bandit it'll be way better than the spider.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Peavey, Spider III's are generally pieces of shit in my experience
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

The bandit is a great amp. Go for it.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Out of the two you listed, go with the Bandit, Hands down

If you're looking for a modeler, try and Vypyr or and Roland Cube, they're both miles ahead of the spider
I had a peavy vyper 75w and hated it. All the effects sounded the same, and feedback on that thing is crazy! I exchanged it for a line 6 spyder III 75w and its a ton better. no feedback sounds great and endless effect combo's
Ive never played a peavey bandit, but they cant be as bad as the spider III, dont make the mistake I made, go with the peavey.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by ncbrock
I had a peavy vyper 75w and hated it. All the effects sounded the same, and feedback on that thing is crazy! I exchanged it for a line 6 spyder III 75w and its a ton better. no feedback sounds great and endless effect combo's

you probably just dont know how to mess around with the knobs on your amp to get a good sound. imo the spider III only has 6 good built in effects and only 2 useable channels, not to mention the cleans are godawful.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
you probably just dont know how to mess around with the knobs on your amp to get a good sound. imo the spider III only has 6 good built in effects and only 2 useable channels, not to mention the cleans are godawful.

No i had this amp close to 2 weeks messed around with everything tried endless combo's, read suggestion combo's online i didnt like any of them and most of them sound the same. i could care less about cleans, never use them.
Quote by ncbrock
No i had this amp close to 2 weeks messed around with everything tried endless combo's, read suggestion combo's online i didnt like any of them and most of them sound the same. i could care less about cleans, never use them.

Wat.

Seriously, the spider 3s don't even seem to be that reliable. Out of the two i'd definitely take the bandit, and i'd still suggest a peavey vypyr or a vox valvetronix. How is a valvetronix not your kind of amp?
Page 1 of 2