Hello,

I must be doing something wrong tuning my electric guitar. Any assistance would be appreciated. A few days ago I put new strings on it and tuned it, but today I realized that the bridge is pulled way up (couldn't use the whammy bar properly). So, I loosened the strings and redid the tuning, starting at low E.

I noticed, however, that after tuning the second string (A), the E string was now flat again. The tuning of the A string pulled the bridge up slightly, and therefore made the E flat. And well, that just blows my mind... obviously if the bridge gets pulled up each time, I'll never get it in tune until the bridge stops pulling up. My first thought is that the springs holding the bridge down are too weak, but how can that be? It was fine before I replaced the strings.

Has anyone encountered this before? How do I fix it?

Thanks!
The only thing I can think of is your new strings are heavier than your old ones; you could always throw some more springs onto the tremolo I suppose.

Honestly, if I knew anything worth knowing regarding tension, I'd have a floyd rose, so yeah.
Instead of throwing more strings, there should be two screws going into the body of the guitar. To see them, you have to take off the back plate. And for Floyd Roses, the E going flat is supposed to happen. Tune everything normally, ignoring the flatting. When you tune all 6, start again. And again, and again, until the strings dont go flat any more. You have a floating bridge, so eventually string tension will = spring tension. Now, if the bridge is at an angle above the guitar, turn your tuning knobs down a half turn or so, then turn the screws going into the body of the guitar 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn, equally. Do this each time until the bridge becomes parallel to the body of the guitar.
Also, check out the Floyd Rose sticky topic in the Electric Guitar forum, which renders all but this line of my post redundant.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Thanks Jango - I did what you tried by tightening the screws going into the body. It helped a bit, but I can see I'd have to turn it more than 1/4 of a turn to get it level. For now I've actually turned it 1/2 each screw, and it's looking a lot better - probably good enough to leave it like that, even though it's still on a bit of an angle.

I'll check out the sticky you mentioned as well, thanks!
Quote by Jango22
Instead of throwing more strings, there should be two screws going into the body of the guitar. To see them, you have to take off the back plate. And for Floyd Roses, the E going flat is supposed to happen. Tune everything normally, ignoring the flatting. When you tune all 6, start again. And again, and again, until the strings dont go flat any more. You have a floating bridge, so eventually string tension will = spring tension. Now, if the bridge is at an angle above the guitar, turn your tuning knobs down a half turn or so, then turn the screws going into the body of the guitar 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn, equally. Do this each time until the bridge becomes parallel to the body of the guitar.
Also, check out the Floyd Rose sticky topic in the Electric Guitar forum, which renders all but this line of my post redundant.

You're assuming that he's got a FR bridge. He doesn't say he does.
Quote by Crucifix79
Hello,

I must be doing something wrong tuning my electric guitar. Any assistance would be appreciated. A few days ago I put new strings on it and tuned it, but today I realized that the bridge is pulled way up (couldn't use the whammy bar properly). So, I loosened the strings and redid the tuning, starting at low E.

I noticed, however, that after tuning the second string (A), the E string was now flat again. The tuning of the A string pulled the bridge up slightly, and therefore made the E flat. And well, that just blows my mind... obviously if the bridge gets pulled up each time, I'll never get it in tune until the bridge stops pulling up. My first thought is that the springs holding the bridge down are too weak, but how can that be? It was fine before I replaced the strings.

Has anyone encountered this before? How do I fix it?

Thanks!

What type of bridge is it? Adjustments to them are different depending on which style it is.
It doesnt matter whether its FR or not...the solution is the same.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300