Hi everyone,

Maybe I missed something, but I couldnt find a section where educational (instruction) books and dvd questions would go.

I'm looking for some suggestions for top notch instruction books or videos for two main things... blues (utilizing many modes scales so on...) and rock (pentatonic scales and everything else).

Other bonus suggestions would be for speed and finger dexterity.

I'm kinda in a rut with the same old pentatonic licks and riffs which I can nail pretty good soloing, but its just boring for me. I'm 10 yr royal conservatory piano player... (which as been a while since Ive played a lot) and about a fairly solid guitar player for many years... I do know theory, but it has faded over the years...

The one thing that keeps me sain is learning solos note by note as my improv solos are boring (to me). Don't get me wrong, I don't know everything about pentatonics, but I want to learn as much as possible as with other scales. Most music is pentatonic, what else is popular for guitar players?

Thanks,
J
The Petrucci DVD is great. Also, check out Troy Stetina's book - Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar. He covers just about all the techniques you'll ever need.
As for Blues, Robben Ford has a couple. One is called "Playin' the Blues", the other is called "The Blues and Beyond". Both of those are great.
Scott Henderson has a couple of really good instructional DVD's out; "Jazz Fusion Improvisation" and "Melodic Phrasing". Both of these are pretty advanced. So if you're not up on your theory, they might sound like they're in a foreign language. But he's a great teacher and an even better player.