85% of guitarists I've heard lack dynamics (or phrasing) and fail to give life to guitar when they're playing. The only things they do are bends and legatos to give life to their playing, and that's all.
There's no up or down slides, no fancy bends, no picking dynamics, no volume knob control, no "let ring" strings on solos, no semi-pinch harmonics or pinch harmonics. No vibrato control (sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes wavy, sometimes less wavy etc), no harmonics, no finger picking at times...no pick muted strings, palm mute at certain notes....

I'm not sure why, but this is the most important thing for the guitarist. It's the only thing that can differentiate the electric guitar from a violin...or else it's just like a violin with distortion and a pick. Where's all the dynamics most you guitar players are missing? I made this thread so everyone could learn and practice giving life to their instrument.
Don't get me wrong now, I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag but I'm hearing dead guitar playing and I need people to open their eyes and realize that they would sound 10x better if they learned how to add dynamics to their playing.

Just watch this improvised solo jam and you'll see and hear what I'm talking about.
(obviously try to pay attention to every single dynamic he makes to give life to his playing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5VwPfyEq3w
Talk about wide creativity.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Nov 2, 2008,
I didn't even read much of that, but you got to realize what people record and play along with other people is much, much, MUCH different from their actual talents.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I think it depends on where you are pikcing you guitar players from exactly. For example, I agree with yu in the case of a lot of pub bands, but then some of the ones from the bigger cities are excellent and use dynamics. Also what style are you talking about? Dynamics changes are a favourite for blues players, bu8t in Metal they are not considered as important, althouhg some metal bands do use dynamics to great effect. Again rock doesn;t use them alot, but some do. So I think you nee to be a bit more specific. Also one could agrue that fi you are tlaking about guitarists as a whole,. that 85% of guitar players proably p,ay more for thier own pleasure than for a serious development of the art of playing.
Maybe you should listen to other bands? But seriously what is considered "good guitar playing" is much different than "playing well with a band". Sometimes that technical stuff sounds overdone and crappy set alongside other things. Then again if you are talking about people you hang with, you have to remember that playing guitar is not everyones one sole goal in life, or that they think stuff like that is silly.
i enjoy head
I think what it is, is that 85% of guitarists are not really musically serious. Its actually true, and its common in vocalists, bassists and drummers. I completly understand when you say dynamics, Mr. Vai said that the electric guitar is the most dynamic instrument known to man. And theres a thick fat line seperating Joe Satriani and Steve Vai from any other guitar players, guess why? Dynamics. Uniqueness. The art of Phrasing. etc etc. And there is also a reason why Yngwie Malmsteen still sounds like a fretwanker. Why? its anybody's guess.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Most people here play metal which is alot of sweep and double picking.

I listen to alot of rockabilly which is solos more like you described, I like listening to it more.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
link doesn't work. but are you saying that YOU have sweet dynamics that all of us need?

and how are pinches not being used? that's like the OD overused technique

I just fixed it.

No I still practice playing with dynamics and I don't consider myself good player to be honest.

I know how I could teach those dynamics, but it's too hard to explain them, the only way to teach them is by watching the player use them.
Semi-pinches aren't used, and picking hard or soft isn't really that much used either, people just pick.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
when I read the TS's post, I thought I was going to read that everyone would unanimously agree with him... wow I was surprised..

What the TS is referring to is phrasing, and frankly, most of us suck at it.. including me btw

Every chord progression you can think of, every lick, every technique, 99% of everything you could possibly do on a guitar has already been done... Unique phrasing is about the only thing left in terms of originality... and even that has been done, just not as much, I guess
Last edited by HibyPrime at Nov 2, 2008,
Quote by XxLloydxX
85% of guitarists I've heard lack dynamics (or phrasing) and fail to give life to guitar when they're playing. The only things they do are bends and legatos to give life to their playing, and that's all.
There's no up or down slides, no fancy bends, no picking dynamics, no volume knob control, no "let ring" strings on solos, no semi-pinch harmonics or pinch harmonics. No vibrato control (sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes wavy, sometimes less wavy etc), no harmonics, no finger picking at times...no pick muted strings, palm mute at certain notes....

I'm not sure why, but this is the most important thing for the guitarist. It's the only thing that can differentiate the electric guitar from a violin...or else it's just like a violin with distortion and a pick. Where's all the dynamics most you guitar players are missing? I made this thread so everyone could learn and practice giving life to their instrument.
Don't get me wrong now, I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag but I'm hearing dead guitar playing and I need people to open their eyes and realize that they would sound 10x better if they learned how to add dynamics to their playing.

Just watch this improvised solo jam and you'll see and hear what I'm talking about.
(obviously try to pay attention to every single dynamic he makes to give life to his playing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5VwPfyEq3w
Talk about wide creativity.

You do realize that is ****ing John Petrucci.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Yes, I know what you mean by this...I often play my electric clean and do finger picking while other people I know will just strum to it. Real guitarists aren't going to say "Yeah, listen to what I can do" they will put their emotions into the guitar and not just play the song, but play themselves through the instrument.
What you're talking about is phrasing, and yes, most guitarists have shitty phrasing. But even though it's such an important aspect of a person's playing, it really can't be taught. Even if you know your scales and which notes to play when, it still takes experience and experimentation to know when to add a slide, or a bend, or a whammy flutter or whatever.

Point is, if you're mostly hanging out with guitarists who have only been playing a few years, then it's understandable that they have poor phrasing.

That video was ace btw, old-school DT was awesome. New-school not so much
I don't understand the XJ random combination of letters that y'all are PA throwing together .

But yeah, I think phrasing and such is generally a good thing. As for me, I've been playing for all of 6 months :P. So I have a good excuse for being relatively sucky.
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
I agree with TS... Happens to me. When I'm playing, I worry so much about hitting the right notes and chords that I totally forget about dynamics. Realized this a few days back when I saw a vid of me playing at my college.... I need to start feeling what I play. Practice is the only way out...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.