Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, need some recommendations on pickups for a Strat I'm putting together.
I'm playing through an Orange AD30HTC, so I mostly play blues/classic rock/kinda-harder-classic rock, but occasionally I try to get into 80's heavier stuff just for fun.

As far as pickups go, I need some help. I def. want them to be hum-cancelling, or, very low noise. I've been looking both at Lace Sensors (Blue/Silver/Red), or SD's (probably the rail series- Vintage/Cool/Hot, but I'm open to others). What do you all think?

Secondly, anyone know of a good Distortion to give that bit of a boost into the aforementioned 80's stuff? I was thinkin' a Shredmaster, but I know there's hundreds of pedals out there.

Thanks!

EDIT: The Strat plan is now over. Instead, I am building an LP. Read on for more details
Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Nov 25, 2008,
if you are willing to spend a little extra check out the radial tonebone pedals like the trimode

they are really good

as for pickups i don't know anything about single coils sorry man
well, youve already got a british voiced amp, so for 80s hair metal, just crank the gain. there are many british voiced pedals though, like the zvex rock in a box, proco rats, marshall guvnor, etc.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by sigur_ros6
if you are willing to spend a little extra check out the radial tonebone pedals like the trimode. they are really good
as for pickups i don't know anything about single coils sorry man

oh and nice amp
orange are incredible

yeah, I've been checking out Tonebone's, they look really great, I'll check some more out today.

And thanks, I love it!

EDIT: And as far as the pickups go, I'm mainly looking for a Gibson/Les Paul tone (I've done some body work to the Strat so it sounds a bit fuller).. so I'm leaning towards the SDs.. anybody have anything to throw out there?
Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Nov 2, 2008,
I once played an Arteffects Zenith through one (I had to use something to try it out seeing as it was the only 30 watt british voiced amp around so I could compare for my peavey)
Sicknasty heavy drive, effing like, bass up the wazzo, totally adjustable, and roaring. Look into one!
also try

Fulltone OCD
Maxon OD-808
Homebrew Power-Squealer
(tons of other botique ones)

For pups, I'd go with some Dimarzio Tone-zones. I'm picking up some for one of my guitars soon...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Personally, I'm not a fan of hum canceling single coils. Don't sound like real single coils, which is the only reason i'd buy a Strat.

I'm not aiming for single coil sound, not really. I love the look of Strats, but I like the tone of humbuckers/Gibsons better.

However, I also hate HSS strats, so I've been looking for the "best" humbucking tone out of a 3 single sized set. (Guitars have to both sound great, and be balls-on accurate with looks, but that's just me).
Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Nov 2, 2008,
Yeah, I've been looking into those as well.
I prefer the vintage tone, but I do go heavy sometimes (as said above).

The TB-11 has a couple "close" counterparts in a Strat size, like the Little '59, the Lil' Screamin' Demon and the Hot Rails...man, I hate this pickup search.
^Pretty much.

^^I'd skip the Hot Rails. I'm not a fan. Well, the TB-11 isn't like those pickups. The TB-11 is an Alnico II pickup, which is what makes it useful for fattening up a Strat.

The Little '59, Hot Rails, and Lil Screamin' Demon are all Ceramic magnet pickups. Very different tone than Alnico II, though the wind on the various models accounts for their tonal variation.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Pretty much.

^^I'd skip the Hot Rails. I'm not a fan. Well, the TB-11 isn't like those pickups. The TB-11 is an Alnico II pickup, which is what makes it useful for fattening up a Strat.

The Little '59, Hot Rails, and Lil Screamin' Demon are all Ceramic magnet pickups. Very different tone than Alnico II, though the wind on the various models accounts for their tonal variation.

Hmm.. I've been doing some thinking.
I don't like HSS strats, just because it seems.. "unbalanced" to me..

What about HSH? Any recommendations for that?

Just to refresh anyone- looking for blues/classic rock/kinda harder rock tones, but occasionally 80's metalish stuff just for fun. Humbucker tone > True Singles tone
Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Nov 8, 2008,
Quote by Stratoblaster73

Just to refresh anyone- looking for blues/classic rock/kinda harder rock tones, but occasionally 80's metalish stuff just for fun. Humbucker tone > True Singles tone

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/tonewizard.php?Instrument=Guitar&Type=Hum-Sing-Hum&Music=Rock+Classic&BodyWood=Ash+or+Alder&Fretboard=Rosewood&BridgeType=Vintage+Tremolo

Honestly, the Duncan and DiMarzio Tone Wizard/Pickup Picker are in fact very reliable as starting points. But don't use them religiously.

HSH is GREAT. Really. But you have to realise, neck single coils sound better than neck 'buckers IMO.

And. As always.

Bare. Knuckle.
Quote by Rock Pig
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/tonewizard.php?Instrument=Guitar&Type=Hum-Sing-Hum&Music=Rock+Classic&BodyWood=Ash+or+Alder&Fretboard=Rosewood&BridgeType=Vintage+Tremolo

Honestly, the Duncan and DiMarzio Tone Wizard/Pickup Picker are in fact very reliable as starting points. But don't use them religiously.

HSH is GREAT. Really. But you have to realise, neck single coils sound better than neck 'buckers IMO.

And. As always.

Bare. Knuckle.

I've heard nothing but amazing things about Bare Kunckles. Any idea on which BK pickups would work best for me? They have so many, I'll just confuse myself
I was thinking something from the Vintage Hot series, just wondering what you (or anyone else for that matter) might think.
Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Nov 8, 2008,
^The thing is about BKP, is that for people located in the US, they're really expensive, and in my opinion, a poor value. They'd be 200 bucks a humbucker. Yikes! There are cheaper alternatives.

Quote by Stratoblaster73

Still a TB-11 in the bridge, stick an SH-1 '59 in the neck.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^The thing is about BKP, is that for people located in the US, they're really expensive, and in my opinion, a poor value. They'd be 200 bucks a humbucker. Yikes! There are cheaper alternatives.

Still a TB-11 in the bridge, stick an SH-1 '59 in the neck.

Yup, just looked at those prices- nearly died. Balls on that.
I'll stick with the SDs for now.
Yeah...most people just blindly say BKP without ever even recommending a model or realizing how much they cost. The blind recs only shows how much of a bandwagon it is. Not that BKP isn't good...
But yeah, I mean, if you want to go boutique, there are cheaper alternatives if you're in the US, that I can give you.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah...most people just blindly say BKP without ever even recommending a model or realizing how much they cost. The blind recs only shows how much of a bandwagon it is. Not that BKP isn't good...
But yeah, I mean, if you want to go boutique, there are cheaper alternatives if you're in the US, that I can give you.

I think I'll just stick with the SDs, they look good, sound good, loads of players use them, and my parents won't go ape when I buy them, as opposed to paying 400 dollars for a set of pups.

Thanks!
Quote by forsaknazrael

Go with the combo I rec'd, I think you'll be satisfied.

I bet I will!

Just wondering though- what should I stick in the middle?
If I was going to change the pups in my strat I would keep a single coil in the neck and the middle position and put a full size humbucker in the bridge. In the end though you may be better to keep the strat completely single coil and save for a mahogony humbucker guitar instead. There are plenty of strat shaped guitars for you to choose from.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Dunno. The middle single coil is mostly useless, IMO.

Okay, sorry it took so long to reply again, hope this thread hasn't "died" on you.
I did some "Draw-ups" of how it could look finished, opinions?

HSH Black
HSH White
Single Sized Humbuckers

I'm leaning towards the white.. but the black does contrast nicely..

Or (which I regret to announce, is becoming slowly more appealing).. scrap the project, do something with the parts I have, and build an LP?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Artic white LP's are sexy....But at the same time, if you're speaking about building a guitar from scratch - it's no easy task! You need a lot of money and a lot of the right tools.

I'm gonna take a look at that "How to build your own guitar" book or whatever, that everyone always talks about.
My family friend of like, 15 years has been woodworking his whole life, he could give me a hand if I needed it

But if I stay on with the Strat..
What do you think looks better, black pups or white? I can't decide
I think white pickups. The black sort of comes out of nowhere here.

And remember, wood working isn't the same as guitar building.
Do TONS of research before you try. Cutting and shaping the body isn't that hard, compared to building the neck and finishing the guitar. Those two last steps need to be done RIGHT, for it to look and and feel good.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I think white pickups. The black sort of comes out of nowhere here.

And remember, wood working isn't the same as guitar building.
Do TONS of research before you try. Cutting and shaping the body isn't that hard, compared to building the neck and finishing the guitar. Those two last steps need to be done RIGHT, for it to look and and feel good.

That's the conclusion I came to, once my brain had warmed up later in the day

and I'm gonna be doing loads of research, starting tonight.
I mean, I suppose I could always just buy a Studio, and deal with the pickguard (I've always kinda found it in the way a bit, but not overly so).

I guess the first thing is first- get my ass to the music shop, and play the hell out of every Strat and LP I can find, to see which tone I'd be more satisfied with.

Thanks for all the advice, I may update you later
Oh boy, haha. Bumped again.
I've decided that it's the best move for me to make to scrap the Strat project and make the LP. It'll be hard, but more rewarding, and def. way worth it.

I've got (yeah, another ) pickup question for you though.
For the neck, I'm torn between the SD Alnico Pro II, and the '59 (Which you recommended). They're both pretty similar, and I'm not sure what go to with because:

For the bridge, I'm not exactly diggin' the Custom Custom. It's come down to the '59 again, and the JB model (I fell in love with both of them in the soundclips). I like the '59 in the bridge a bit more though.

My problem is, I want to be diverse. That is to say, it's a no to have the '59 in both positions.
Do you think the Alnico is an okay choice to work with in the neck (and how does it split? I'm considering using a P/P to alter the neck when I need it-something I can't do with the '59, it's a single con.) instead of the '59, which I could use in the bridge? The '59 and JB actually sound pretty similar to me, being used through the same amp, which I know sounds a bit crazy.

Thoughts?
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

The Custom Custom is too spongey in an LP. I'm telling you, Custom 5.

The Alnico II Pro is a smoother pickup, the '59 is brighter. The JB is fairly bright which is what you probably hearing.

BTW, you can get the '59 in 4 conductor...

As far as '59 versus JB/whatever, the /59 is a vintage output pickup. So if it's that cool with you, go for it. Putting Two '59's in your guitar isn't going to make it less versatile. It's more dependent on your amp, for what music styles your tone would be suited for.
The Alnico II Pro is ridiculously low output and tonally bland. The '59 is great.
Custom 5 is great. The JB is what you've heard on too many records for my liking. It'll get you the tone your favourite artist has, but all the tweaking in the world won't get "your" tone if you ask me.

And we BKP enthusiasts do not make "blind reccomendations."
And it's not a bandwagon. There's, like, two of us.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Custom Custom is too spongey in an LP. I'm telling you, Custom 5.

The Alnico II Pro is a smoother pickup, the '59 is brighter. The JB is fairly bright which is what you probably hearing.

BTW, you can get the '59 in 4 conductor...

As far as '59 versus JB/whatever, the /59 is a vintage output pickup. So if it's that cool with you, go for it. Putting Two '59's in your guitar isn't going to make it less versatile. It's more dependent on your amp, for what music styles your tone would be suited for.

Yeah, I found the Custom Custom too spongey as well. I realized after re-reading that you recommended those above pickups for a Strat

I didn't know you could get that in 4 conductor, my bad (again, )

So, would you say it would be better to have two 59s, or a 59 in the neck and the Custom 5 in the bridge?
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by Diamond Dave
Fulltone OCD would be a strong choice, i love mine man its a great pedal

^+1

I've heard amazing things about the OCD. Dang it i live in Canada.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Really think that? EVERYONE and their mom just says "bkp" without actually posting a model rec'.

I actually have to side on this one.
Everytime I've seen someone recommend BKPs in a "which pickup" thread, I've never seen "Personally, I'd recommend you get X and Y, they'll suit your style great"

I'm sure there's people out there who do it, just saying, I haven't seen them yet

EDIT: And just to follow up on my earlier post, I'm starting to think 59 for the neck and the Custom 5 (or JB, I dunno, I do really dig it, even if it is "Overused") in the bridge.

Minus the conflict of interest for the bridge.. am I kinda getting the right idea from you guys? I'm a tone freak
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Nov 25, 2008,
I haven't read through the thread, but I'd suggest getting a good set of normal SC pickups and shielding your guitar instead of getting hum cancelling pickups. That should take care of most of your unwanted noise, and you still get the good SC tone.

Lindy Fralins is a good place to start looking for pickups, IMO.

EDIT: It looks like I'm a bit behind. Ignore my post.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^ It's okay, don't worry about it.
I've moved away from the Strat idea, an LP is actually coming into fruition now. Thanks, though "

I should edit the first post..
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by Stratoblaster73
I actually have to side on this one.
Everytime I've seen someone recommend BKPs in a "which pickup" thread, I've never seen "Personally, I'd recommend you get X and Y, they'll suit your style great"

I'm sure there's people out there who do it, just saying, I haven't seen them yet

Exactly.

Quote by Stratoblaster73
EDIT: And just to follow up on my earlier post, I'm starting to think 59 for the neck and the Custom 5 (or JB, I dunno, I do really dig it, even if it is "Overused") in the bridge.

Minus the conflict of interest for the bridge.. am I kinda getting the right idea from you guys? I'm a tone freak

The Custom 5 > JB, IMO. SGs and Les Pauls love the Custom 5.

If you really want to go for broke though, perhaps a set of boutique pickups are in order. A set of PAFs from sdpickups.com wouldn't be a bad idea. His Star PAFs sound ridiculous. Or maybe a set of Silverbacks, from rockmonkeyguitars.com. Chris really knows his stuff - and there's 10% discount to UGers.
Plewnty of other options other than Seymour Duncan.
Page 1 of 2