Hey,

At the moment I'm playing a Squier Strat and a Fender FM212R. However, my Squier has pretty much crapped out on me, with the wiring in the neck pickup now being pretty much ****ed, as in, I can't use it at all.

So with Xmas coming up, I was thinking of getting myself some new gear as a present. The thing is, I like my Squier, I like the way it looks and feels, but I'm thinking new pickups? Is this a good idea? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to guitar tech stuff so hopefully you can help. I play mostly Rock stuff, RHCP, RATM, Foo Fighters, GNR etc.

I was also thinking maybe a distortion pedal considering the distortion on my amp sucks.

Budget would be around $400 US maybe.

tl;dr: Is it worth it putting new pickups in a squier? or should i just get a new guitar? What pickups are good? What's a good distortion pedal for playing Alt-Rock stuff?
Last edited by Zed619 at Nov 2, 2008,
new ampppppp then save for a new guitar. You could buy something like a Roland cube and still have some cash left over to save for a new guitar.

EDIT: I just re read it and it said that your neck pickup just crapped out. I might consider getting a new guitar instead. In which case a Standard MexiStrat could serve you well.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
lol peddle.

its pedal

Haha, yeah, it's late.

Quote by jpgilbert701
new ampppppp then save for a new guitar. You could buy something like a Roland cube and still have some cash left over to save for a new guitar.

I've already got a Roland Microcube, and I like the clean channel on my Fender so *shrug* i'm not sure I wanna get a new amp.
Quote by jpgilbert701

EDIT: I just re read it and it said that your neck pickup just crapped out. I might consider getting a new guitar instead. In which case a Standard MexiStrat could serve you well.

MIM Strat i'd say... even if you get one at a pawn shop. For distortion i'll recommend something like a Boss DS-2 Turbo.

EDIT: However, if you just want to keep your Squier, you could look up at a red/white/blue Lace Sensor set of pickups (hey, do u want to upgrade only one pickup?).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Nov 2, 2008,
Fender FM's don't work well with pedals, idk why, they just sound like poo on them.
I would say get a new amp as well, but if you really like it, it's worth getting new pickups for your squier if you really like it.

Although I wanna suggest a real fender, a MIM (Standard strat)
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120