Lately I've been writing a lot of vocals and acoustic stuff. I seem to find one main hook vocally then I just pretty much follow the chords. It often sounds very monotone and I have problems mixing it up.

Do you guys have any tips for coming up with catchy melodies?
Should I maybe find a melody before I write the lyrics or the guitar part?

Usually I have lyrics down already then I try to make the music for it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
Do whatever you are better at second. So if you are a better guitarist then write the chords second, if you are a better singer write the vocal line second.

I say this because what your better at is what you have the most freedom in, so that you can change it to whatever you want.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by bshizzle911

Since you already do that, try it the other way around.

One thing you could is hum a cool melody in your head and play it on the guitar.
Another way is to just have underlying chords already and then create a melody over those chords.
Also, you can just create the melody while writing the lyrics (I don't think you said you had tried that).

I've tried all these methods and they all come out differently. So, try writing your song differently this time.

Good luck!
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
Quote by bshizzle911
Lately I've been writing a lot of vocals and acoustic stuff. I seem to find one main hook vocally then I just pretty much follow the chords. It often sounds very monotone and I have problems mixing it up.

Do you guys have any tips for coming up with catchy melodies?
Should I maybe find a melody before I write the lyrics or the guitar part?

The best way is just to get out your guitar and play something real simple and diatonic, just like writing a riff but you're going to sing it instead of play it.

Well, thats oversimplifying it majorly. After you do that, you have to add sequence, change a few notes to make it more singable, change a few notes rhthymically to force all the unstressed sylables on unstressed beats, change a few more notes to add some melodic cadences, add some modulation and change even more notes so as there are consonant notes on stressed beats. Some of these are for flow, some so its singable and some are archaic rules about consonance.

There are whole books written about writing melodies, which some uni kids have to study. Writing out how to write melodies is far out of my scope to write in a single thread in one night.
Quote by inbloom27
i always write the music first then i sit down and hum and/or sing a melody to the chords. after that i write the lyrics to the space

thats exactly what i do and its working so far =]
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
thats exactly what i do and its working so far =]
I write each one seperately and than change a few words or notes so they fit well.
Quote by The_Sophist
Do whatever you are better at second. So if you are a better guitarist then write the chords second, if you are a better singer write the vocal line second.

I say this because what your better at is what you have the most freedom in, so that you can change it to whatever you want.

I think this is key for me. It's easy to throw together the guitar part for me, so I should work on finding a solid melody then make the guitar part.

Thanks for your ideas guys.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords