I have a tight budget on my guitar. As of now I have a Dean Vendetta XM with stock pickups. I would like to have an EMG 81 in my bridge because I pretty much play only bridge. Is it possible to have a stock humbucker in the neck with an EMG in the bridge? Or is it better to just get 2 EMGs at the same time? If I just get one EMG in the bridge, eventually Ill buy an 85 to go in the neck.

P.S. I am going to go to a GC or Sam Ash to have someone install the pickup(s).
It can be done, but it's not going to sound right. You could just leave the stock pickup there and detach it from all the electronics, but if you're going to put another EMG in there eventually, might as well do both at the same time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I couldn't tell you if it'd work.. but I can say there is no point in paying for the labor to install 2 pickups twice. Just save up a bit and do them both at the same time. On a side note I know the Guitar Center here doesn't do setups/installations so I dunno if yours will either.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Do them both the same. Because you need to change some pots and wiring, etc, when installing EMG's so it'd be a lot more efficient and easier for you to install two EMG's at once.
This is from EMG's website.

It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups.
There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls.
The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's.
The passive pickups, however, will work fine.
If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative.
Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K or 500k pots for the passive pickup.
This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects,
but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's.
The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative.
Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this.
With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's.
The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone
of the passive pickups.
You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc.
you could but it is really just a pain in the junk
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Could just run the EMG in the bridge and gut out the neck pickup altogether for a cheap and easy alternative.
Coming from somebody who's done it (look in sig) it worked fine for me. As i didn't wire it my self (the shop offered to do it for me 4 free) im not sure how it was wired, but it does work. With the 59' raised a bit, and playing in conjunction with the 81 it has the great raw punchy sound of the EMG, but just some low end put in underneath it all. But... it would probably make more sense to do both EMG's at the same time if you're planning on doing that...
you could, but tell me if this makes sense?

your putting a $100 pickup into a $100 guitar, then paying $40 to install that pick up. I think it would just be better to get a new guitar? And why do you want a new pick up, you do have a Peavey Transtube which are good amps, but won't bring out the characteristics of a new pick up, let alone an active one.
/end run on sentence
ya you can do it, right now my BC Rich Warlock has an EMG 81 in the bridge and a stock BCR pickup in the neck, it works fine, but i diddn`t wire it in. i just have it in there it`ll my REAL guitar comes in.
It can be done - as has been said - but my brother did the same thing and it sounded okay...but man when he put the 85 in the neck it made a huge difference - I would just buy both at the same time.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09