What are some good solo drum breaks or beats in songs that would be useful to sample for electronic music? The obvious example would be the amen break, but I'm wondering where bands like Boards of Canada and such get such good drum samples.
The one that goes *Pooh-Pooh-Tah-Pootapootapooh-Tahhhh*...can't remember the name of the song though.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
chances are they make them themselves. electronic music isn't just samples.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by divid3d

i'd imagine he meant breaks, so no the artist wouldn't be making them, hence sampling.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by divid3d

Listen to some Boards of Canada. The drums almost sound real. I think they use a lot of sampled drum beats and breaks.
Quote by fattyDQ
Listen to some Boards of Canada. The drums almost sound real. I think they use a lot of sampled drum beats and breaks.

Look around for some samples of decent sounding instruments (Drums), patch them to a drum machine. Start creating.

Either they did that, or recorded the drums live.

Quote by fattyDQ
I can't, I'm not a drummer

You don't need to be a drummer, i use drum machines and i can't play drums for shit.

Quote by aetherspear
i'd imagine he meant breaks, so no the artist wouldn't be making them, hence sampling.

Artists can make their own breaks, if they didn't, there wouldn't be any variety.
that may be the case, but just because the drums sound real doesn't mean they have been sampled. if i hear something in a track, then i reproduce it either on a regular drum kit, electronic drum kit, or entirely electronically on a computer, then that isn't sampling. most electronic music producers would make their own drum beats rather than taking an existing sample from somewhere and manipulating it.
from daylight...
...into darkness
What are some good VST's for drums? The problem is I can't seem to find any that don't sound completely "computerized"
Quote by fattyDQ
What are some good VST's for drums? The problem is I can't seem to find any that don't sound completely "computerized"

get Hydrogen. It's free. But it's standalone.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by fattyDQ

Cubase, Fruity Loops and Reson are apparently good. I personally use Reason, problem is they're not free.
Quote by DirtyMakik
get Hydrogen. It's free. But it's standalone.

I'll check it out
Quote by Woo!Yay!
Cubase, Fruity Loops and Reson are apparently good. I personally use Reason, problem is they're not free.

I own FL Studio, that's my primary DAW right now, I'm still very disappointed with the drums. Same with Reason actually, I'm yet to try Cubase, I've had a lot of people recommend that to me. I'm talking more drum VST's though, certainly there's a good one out there?
I'd strongly prefer a VST over a standalone just for simplicity sake, but I suppose it wouldn't be too much effort to use a standalone..
Quote by fattyDQ
I own FL Studio, that's my primary DAW right now, I'm still very disappointed with the drums. Same with Reason actually, I'm yet to try Cubase, I've had a lot of people recommend that to me. I'm talking more drum VST's though, certainly there's a good one out there?

Ah, i have no experience with Cubase and FL, so i don't know what they're like. You'll just have to scout about for some samples that you're happy with and get them into VST with good editing options so you can get them to sound just how you want.

Either that or find a friend with a drumkit.
the drum break to A Man A Plan A Canal Panama by the Fall of Troy.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Laces Out Danny
the drum break to A Man A Plan A Canal Panama by the Fall of Troy.

Nice, I like it
Quote by fattyDQ
Any other ideas?

I don't think it's a break but the beginning of Blue Monday.

4/4||0---0---00000000|0---0---0---0---:||
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!