Ok, so say you're palm-muting the low E. (I'm sure you've done that before )

We all know that if you chug along using all downstrokes, it sounds a lot more aggressive and heavier than using alternate picking. For example, play the intro to "Master of Puppets" with all downstrokes, and then try it with alternate picking- the downpicks just sound more agressive.

My question is- WHY is this so? I've played around by downpicking very lightly, and being more agressive with my up-picking when I do alternate picking- but no matter what, the downpicking always sounds more agressive.

I mean, is this just a question of physics or something? I just don't understand why it sounds so different.

I can understand when playing chords- if you up-stroke a chord, you're hitting the lighter, higher strings first, and it sounds less aggressive (eg, play a Ramones song with just down-strumming. Then play it with alternate strumming. Sounds totally different).

Any ideas? Even if it's a super-technical physics explanation, I'd be interested to know.
When up-stroking, your had doesn't move in a mirrored motion as a downstroke. It would be like recording something said then reversing it, then try talking backwards. It will sound close but not 100% the same.
i'm interested to know as well... but i have my own theory i'll put out there.

when you upstroke your hand would be angled slightly different to when you downstroke, so it would be palm muting to a different degree. i don't know if that would make a difference, but yeah...
Quote by tapitin
Ok, so say you're palm-muting the low E. (I'm sure you've done that before )

We all know that if you chug along using all downstrokes, it sounds a lot more aggressive and heavier than using alternate picking. For example, play the intro to "Master of Puppets" with all downstrokes, and then try it with alternate picking- the downpicks just sound more agressive.

My question is- WHY is this so? I've played around by downpicking very lightly, and being more agressive with my up-picking when I do alternate picking- but no matter what, the downpicking always sounds more agressive.

I mean, is this just a question of physics or something? I just don't understand why it sounds so different.

I can understand when playing chords- if you up-stroke a chord, you're hitting the lighter, higher strings first, and it sounds less aggressive (eg, play a Ramones song with just down-strumming. Then play it with alternate strumming. Sounds totally different).

Any ideas? Even if it's a super-technical physics explanation, I'd be interested to know.

Because you're playing them with different force and angle of attack?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
well i noticed that when i upstroke, my palm lifts off the strings im muting. When i do downstrokes, it puses down on the strings....
maybe its just about how much you mute the string that makes it so different.
its because the notes you are hitting first are different.
take the Am chord and strum down you hit in order A E A B# E so thats gonna have a certin sound to it
and strum up you hit in order E B# A E A your playing different notes first.

so pretty much its all based on the notes that you are hitting first.
Last edited by fudger at Nov 2, 2008,
Quote by fudger
its because the notes you are hitting first are different.
take the Am chord and strum down you hit in order A E A B# E so thats gonna have a certin sound to it
and strum up you hit in order E B# A E A your playing different notes first.

so pretty much its all based on the notes that you are hitting first.

Quote by tapitin
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
It has to do with your pick angle among other things. Most people don't have their pick perfectly perpendicular to the body of the guitar and parallel to the strings, so unless you have some way of rotating the pick between the up stroke and downstroke, the pick angle will be different. Different pick angles change the sound. Also, the force with which you personally do an upstroke and a downstroke could vary slightly.
I understand there is a difference in pick angle and everything.

I guess my point was, no matter what I do or how hard I try, using various picking angles, force, etc, I cannot get an upstroke to sound like a downstroke on a palm-muted open E-string.

From a playing perspective, this is not important to me. I'm just curious why this is so.
I don't know why everybody things it sounds so different. If you stabilize the angle of your hand and attack in both directions with the same force (which you may not even really need to because of the compressed high gain of distortion in Metallica songs)--it sounds exactly the same. I think it might be the placebo effect of cool factor you get with all down-picking. But I'd rather not get carpal tunnel in the process, copout or not lol.
mdc724, this thread is now 8 years old. Please look at the dates of posts before replying.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Pho3n1x2030
For crying out loud, my post is literally right above yours. Read the thread next time.

Closing it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.