Hey my friends. Im looking for versatile pickups for a hss strat. theres no buget. the strat has an alder body, the is maple with a ebony fret board. I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out. oh & one thing i would need is the pickups to clean up well when rolling the volume down.

thnx
Seymour Duncan JB i think is the bridge pickup... Idk much about single coils.
bridge pup - Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
middle pup - Seymour Duncan little 59
neck pup - Dimarzio YJM
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
The Duncan JB is the best pickup ever made. It sounds great distorted and it cleans up nicely to. If money isn't an issue, Duncan makes some great single coils called Antiquity's.
They sound like a Strat supposed to sound, (think Hendrix). I've got this same setup in one of my Strats and I love it.
Fender Texas Special single coils are really cool to. They're a little hot though.
Quote by seth's daddy
The Duncan JB is the best pickup ever made.

You never played a Bare Knuckle?

GO BARE KNUCKLE! If you can afford it, they're just the best. And YOU, sir, have "no budget"
More to the point, they do HSS calibrated sets. Look it up on ther site, and decide which one's best for you. They're all as good as each other. You can't put a foot wrong. If you have them calibrated, your mixed positions will sound way better.
Could try the Dimarzio breed for your bridge, or Tonezone.Andy Timmons uses the Breed in the bridge and it gives you a sort of deep rockish sort of tone. Check out his songs like Cry For You and Deliver Us. Also, the Fender Area 51 and 61 single coils are worth looking into if you want the Strat sound minus the noise.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Quote by Rock Pig
You never played a Bare Knuckle?

GO BARE KNUCKLE! If you can afford it, they're just the best. And YOU, sir, have "no budget"
More to the point, they do HSS calibrated sets. Look it up on ther site, and decide which one's best for you. They're all as good as each other. You can't put a foot wrong. If you have them calibrated, your mixed positions will sound way better.

Yea i know theyre awesome. I recently replaced the super distortion & paf out of my other strat the Duck (usa fender strat with floyd) & installed a calibrated set of painkiller's. they sound amazing. now with this hss strat, I was thinking about putting a vhII in the brigde & two irish tours in the neck & middle.
Quote by JLT73
bridge pup - Seymour Duncan Custom Custom
middle pup - Seymour Duncan little 59
neck pup - Dimarzio YJM

Pretty much.
Or, you could throw a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails in the middle. They sound pretty good in my opinion.
Member of the Laney Cult
ebony fretboard? what strat do you have exactly? usually the neck pups are fine imo, I have a MIM strat but I upgraded my stock bucker with a Duncan Custom Custom.

What I meant to ask you is what kind of sound are you after? That might dictate what pup to go with. Also, I usually recommend people to call Duncan's customer service number and talk to an expert even if you don't end up buying a Duncan. Their great.

IMO a JB might be a bit too bright in your strat. I had one for a while and went TB11. Great for medium output crunch and clean.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
ebony fretboard? what strat do you have exactly? usually the neck pups are fine imo, I have a MIM strat but I upgraded my stock bucker with a Duncan Custom Custom.

What I meant to ask you is what kind of sound are you after? That might dictate what pup to go with. Also, I usually recommend people to call Duncan's customer service number and talk to an expert even if you don't end up buying a Duncan. Their great.

IMO a JB might be a bit too bright in your strat. I had one for a while and went TB11. Great for medium output crunch and clean.

Oh its a hss strat my friend Miguel made. He made it by hand in i guess 2006 or so, finished the body & neck and that was it. never did anything with it. I went to his place, he told me he needed cash & he was going to sell the body & neck. So I bought it off him for $500. I think i know wat im gonna choose humbucker wise. but i have no idea about the single coils?
Quote by Devilman2020
Oh its a hss strat my friend Miguel made. He made it by hand in i guess 2006 or so, finished the body & neck and that was it. never did anything with it. I went to his place, he told me he needed cash & he was going to sell the body & neck. So I bought it off him for $500. I think i know wat im gonna choose humbucker wise. but i have no idea about the single coils?

Fender Lace Sensors, Fender Texas Specials or the Seymour Duncan Cool Rails.

Those get my vote.
Member of the Laney Cult
I guess the sound im going for with this strat is more great cleans, blues, rock, & a lil hard rock. tone wise, my tone always has alot of mids. & I only play through british voiced amp, american voiced amps suck.
Last edited by Devilman2020 at Nov 5, 2008,
my single coil suggestions still stand
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
my single coil suggestions still stand

i heard alot of good things about the dimazio YJM pickups. thats it ima put the yjm in the neck & middle & a SD custom custom or a dimarzio tone zone in the bridge
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
ebony fretboard? what strat do you have exactly?

the strat deluxe hss quilted maple top and flame top versions both come with ebony fingerboards as standard.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix