The bands that have the sound i like are bands such as KSE, as i lay dying and really any other band in that genre.

My guitar is an Ibanez S520ex. Right now it just have the stock INF pups in it. What are some really great pups that you guys would recommend to put in em? There is only 2 spots, neck and bridge.

Ive heard a lot of talk about EMG's but i dont know which i would get if i did get those. And which one would go in the bridge and what not.
what amp are you playing on?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Like JLT73 said, what amp do you have?

EMGs are geared more towards metal and hard rock, of course they aren't restricted to those genres only. The EMG 81 is the bridge position, and the common paired neck pickup is the EMG 85 or 60. I'd also have to recommend Seymour Duncan passives.
I think you're amp may be holding you back from the tone you want, but here are some good pups

Bridge pup - EMG 81
Neck pup - EMG 60
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
I think you're amp may be holding you back from the tone you want, but here are some good pups

Bridge pup - EMG 81
Neck pup - EMG 60

ya i kinda figured lol. thnx
sorry, i'm pretty nooby....pups are?...
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Quote by vinc3nt
sorry, i'm pretty nooby....pups are?...

Pup (sometimes written p/up) means pickup.

My recommendations (for TS) would be Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortion (bridge) and Duncan Jazz (neck). Great pickups, high output.
I don't recommend EMGs, though. They are one trick ponies. They deliver crushing gain, but the cleans are shitty and they sound kinda thin.
That's just my opinion though, so don't flame me, fanboys.

Another option would be Dimarzio Evolution, which is a really nice pickup. Pair it with a Dimarzio Breed in the neck, and there you go.
Member of the Laney Cult
oh! i never new that abreiviation. i know what pickups are...lol.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Quote by JaykeSucks
Pup (sometimes written p/up) means pickup.

My recommendations (for TS) would be Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortion (bridge) and Duncan Jazz (neck). Great pickups, high output.
I don't recommend EMGs, though. They are one trick ponies. They deliver crushing gain, but the cleans are shitty and they sound kinda thin.
That's just my opinion though, so don't flame me, fanboys.

Another option would be Dimarzio Evolution, which is a really nice pickup. Pair it with a Dimarzio Breed in the neck, and there you go.

EMGs are not one trick ponies. I play everything from country to blue to alternative to metal with mine and they sound good.

The distortion/jazz combo is a pretty good combo.

The evolution/breed I don't think the TS would really benefit from this combo at all.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
SD Blackouts
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Might have a hard time fitting the battery pack for the EMGs into a saber... you might have to route some of the wood out of the back. They're bloody thin.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Dean Performer DSE
Vox AD30VT
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Quote by Ghold125
your not going to get kse and as i lay dying with a crate v-18....

I know that but i'm looking to slowly step up my rig starting with the guitar. Because i have friends with some pretty sick equip, so i can just take my guitar over and plug in. I figured the pups will be my frist upgrade. I have heard a lot about dimarzio and i know the higher end ibanez come with them. But i have heard much much MUCH more about EMG's.

Woud like more input and personal experiences please!

The reason for my not so tricked out amp set up is i'm in the military constantly moving so it's not always a guarantee i will have room for it so i have to make due.
Last edited by dcvlehr at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by dcvlehr
I know that but i'm looking to slowly step up my rig starting with the guitar. Because i have friends with some pretty sick equip, so i can just take my guitar over and plug in. I figured the pups will be my frist upgrade. I have heard a lot about dimarzio and i know the higher end ibanez come with them. But i have heard much much MUCH more about EMG's.

Woud like more input and personal experiences please!

No, because your amp is THE source of most of your tone. Anyone here wil tell you it's top priority.

I think EMGs are one trick ponies as well. Cleans suck. Dimarzio cleans aren't fantastic thanks to their ceramic magnets, and especially with KsE, there are mellower, cleaner passages in places.
As ever, my reccomendation is Bare Knuckles, whose higher output models have not only gain but decent cleans, but if your budget doesn't stretch that far, Duncans will be great. My personal reccomendation is the Invader model. Meaty tone that any metalhead will adore. But if you want to improve on cleans, get something with alnico magnets, which NO Dimarzio has, to my knowledge.
Quote by Rock Pig
No, because your amp is THE source of most of your tone. Anyone here wil tell you it's top priority.

I think EMGs are one trick ponies as well. Cleans suck. Dimarzio cleans aren't fantastic thanks to their ceramic magnets, and especially with KsE, there are mellower, cleaner passages in places.
As ever, my reccomendation is Bare Knuckles, whose higher output models have not only gain but decent cleans, but if your budget doesn't stretch that far, Duncans will be great. My personal reccomendation is the Invader model. Meaty tone that any metalhead will adore. But if you want to improve on cleans, get something with alnico magnets, which NO Dimarzio has, to my knowledge.

Which duncan would you recommend for the neck and which for the bridge? Or is it the same model in both?

And same question for the bare knuckles.
Quote by dcvlehr
Which duncan would you recommend for the neck and which for the bridge? Or is it the same model in both?

And same question for the bare knuckles.

I'm not good with Duncans, but Invaders in any position are great, so I'm told.

Bare Knuckles do calibrated sets, meaning two of the same type prefectly matched with each other so they work nice with one in the neck and one in the bridge; I'd reccomend the nailbomb, warpig or painkiller for metal. Prices are damn steep, though, especially if you live in America, as they're British.
Quote by Rock Pig
I'm not good with Duncans, but Invaders in any position are great, so I'm told.

Bare Knuckles do calibrated sets, meaning two of the same type prefectly matched with each other so they work nice with one in the neck and one in the bridge; I'd reccomend the nailbomb, warpig or painkiller for metal. Prices are damn steep, though, especially if you live in America, as they're British.

Well i'm currently in Japan lol, so it'd probably be worse. Those definitely sound they would be out of my price range. Guess i would be looking more into the EMG's and the duncans.

Edit: The EMG model i was really looking into, especially since it's the exact same one that KSE uses was the 85. Also, the 60A is alcino and looks to be a good neck pup. Both are alcino.
Last edited by dcvlehr at Nov 3, 2008,
Neck - DiMarzio PAF Pro
Bridge - DiMarzio Breed

You can never really go wrong with the PAF Pro in the neck, the Breed is quite dark sounding but its smooth and fat.
Quote by dcvlehr
Well i'm currently in Japan lol, so it'd probably be worse. Those definitely sound they would be out of my price range. Guess i would be looking more into the EMG's and the duncans.

Edit: The EMG model i was really looking into, especially since it's the exact same one that KSE uses was the 85. Also, the 60A is alcino and looks to be a good neck pup. Both are alcino.

So what? It really means nothing until you start using the same amps, guitars and effects as them.

Just stick some decent passives in it, Dimarzios should be easy to find in Japan and the Breed/Paf Pro set is a good choice. They'll improve the tone through your amp but a pickup swap isn't going to produce the kind of drastic change in sound you're looking for, those tones simply aren't in that Crate...your money's better spent on an overdrive pedal and an EQ.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com