I know that the stock DS-1 is really thin, treble, buzzy sounding, but i've read somewhere that the DS-2 has improved bass and mid range response, something the DS-1 had problems with. Is this true?? Does the boss DS-2 sound better than the DS-1 without the turbo setting?

I've also listened to several demos for both DS-1 and DS-2 and the DS-2 seems to sound more fuller than the DS-1..

AND also, since the DS-2 has a fuller, less painful treble and a fuller sound, how does this compare to the sound of a Keeley modded DS-1? I hear it also has improved bass and mid range, but is a little more expensive than a ds-2??

Thanks

Forum Archives / About / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2006
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Keeley DS-1 > DS-2 > DS-1

I think that's kinda how it would go.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Ok, with your thread, I think you only want me to answer regarding the ds1 and 2. My answer is both distortion pedal suck. Yes, the ds2 is fuller (not more fuller) than the ds1 but distortion isnt really that decent. And compared with the keeley ds1, the keeley mod fully changes the ds1's sound. Meaning to say that you cannot compare it with the stock ds1 anymore because the keeley mod is totally a different, way better pedal than the stock.

I still recommend other brands of distortion pedal. Try looking for the mi audio crunch box or the sansamp gt-2
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

In terms of DS-1 or DS-2, the DS-2 has the upper hand as it has two modes, one mode sounds pretty much the same as a DS-1, the second mode is less trebly, and generally smoother.

But if you can grab a Keely modded DS-1 or DS-2, the mod really makes those pedals shine.
DS-2's are horrible! I used to own one and it was the worst distortion pedal I've ever heard. It killed sustain and had a kind of tone suckingness about it. Horrible sounding piece of junk.

Keeley DS-1's are fantastic though. I prefer using mine to get a low gain kind of tone though, rather than high gain, which is what they are more known for.
Quote by mothership
My answer is both distortion pedal suck.

I'm assuming that means you haven't really tried them. took me about 6 months to find a decent use for my DS-2, you see... until then i have been known to say the same thing about them.

I will admit that they are both very sterile, characterless pedals, but i think they are meant to be like that. Basically don't buy either if you want to run them into a clean channel, as your distorted tone, because as a stand-alone distortion pedal they are crap. If you have a tube amp, however, they work brilliantly as a transparent boost which simply adds a harder edge to an already decent distorted tone.

But if you have a solid state amp or want to use it for low-level distortion with a non-master volume tube amp, its not worth it at all.

Quote by tombo32
DS-2's are horrible! I used to own one and it was the worst distortion pedal I've ever heard. It killed sustain and had a kind of tone suckingness about it. Horrible sounding piece of junk.

I assume that means you used it as a standalone pedal. lol. Basically, they are not horrible, it just means you couldn't get a good sound out of them, either because you didn't have a decent amp to go with it or just couldn't get it to work with your amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Nov 2, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube

I assume that means you used it as a standalone pedal. lol. Basically, they are not horrible, it just means you couldn't get a good sound out of them, either because you didn't have a decent amp to go with it or just couldn't get it to work with your amp.

I actually used it with a great amp (Laney VC50) and I used it to boost and to add some dirt to an already dirty channel. Ok sure, someone else might like it and find a tone out of it that they think is good, but I didn't and I absolutely hated it. There are much better things out on the market for around the same price.
Quote by tombo32
I actually used it with a great amp (Laney VC50) and I used it to boost and to add some dirt to an already dirty channel. Ok sure, someone else might like it and find a tone out of it that they think is good, but I didn't and I absolutely hated it. There are much better things out on the market for around the same price.

ok, my mistake, it just seemed like you were blindly bashing the pedal just because it's boss as a lot of people seem to do on these forums. See, i get a tone i'm more than happy with from a VC30 with the gain on 4, and very low gain and max volume on the DS-2. It tightens up the sound and adds more crunch without modifying the tonality much - i don't like the mid-boost mode like that though. There are some good tones to be found, although they aren't to everyone's taste - the same goes for everything really.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
ok, my mistake, it just seemed like you were blindly bashing the pedal just because it's boss as a lot of people seem to do on these forums. See, i get a tone i'm more than happy with from a VC30 with the gain on 4, and very low gain and max volume on the DS-2. It tightens up the sound and adds more crunch without modifying the tonality much - i don't like the mid-boost mode like that though. There are some good tones to be found, although they aren't to everyone's taste - the same goes for everything really.

Those settings are the same as what I use, except with my TS9DX . Amp gain on 4, low gain on pedal, level almost full.

But I found that when using the DS-2 it was restricting sustain and killing off notes really early. Even after trying different settings it would still always be there. Though the Keeley DS-1's do that on high gain settings sometimes (not always). And its not just mine, my guitar teacher's Keeley DS-1 does it too. Thats why I use it for a low gain tone (which I think sounds better than the high gain anyway).
i have a ds-2 and i like it it sounds pretty decent pushed with a tubescreamer

it gets me all my john frusciante tones

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.